Friday, May 24, 2013

Red Pens, Cannons, Dead Dogs, and Hippos

I printed out my book today! It was(is) a great feeling to hold it and tap it(I like that solid, yet hollow thump you get when knocking on a stack of papers). I should hopefully get quite a bit of editing done tomorrow(huzzah for red pens!), as we're going on a three hour drive to go to a Revolutionary War battle reenactment(huzzah for cannons!).

But back to my having printed out my book- I told a friend(and my mother-in-law and my husband): Look at all those words right outta my head. Mine! Mine! All mine!(not quite that rabidly, but along those lines...)

And then I got to thinking that that's not really true. All my years of reading have contributed to who I am as a writer. All those times that I smiled at a funny line of dialogue or inner thought, or read a passage out loud because all the words were just exactly right, or cried b/c a character died(or dog- hello, Where The Red Fern Grows, I'm looking at you!)- they've helped shape how I write my own stories. I only hope that the more I read, the more I'll grow into my own writer skin.



 And, yes, that is a yarn wrapped hippo in the background. Every bookcase needs one.

8 comments:

  1. The actual printed pages give a sense of the WORK you've been doing. An E-file just does not have this gravitas, literally also.
    Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly, you summed it up so well!

      Delete
  2. There's nothing quite like holding those actual printed pages in your hand. I needed coaxing from my best friend before I would print my novel out. It seemed like a frivolous use of paper and ink. But it made such a difference in the editing process to actually have the hard copy in hand.
    Good luck with your edits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! I've already caught so much stuff that I've read over a hundred times when it was just sitting on my computer screen. It's slow going, but I will definitely always include a hard copy edit from now on.

      Delete
  3. Holding a completed manuscript in your hands is definitely thrilling! I have a purple pen just waiting for my next round of paper edits. Good luck with the editing! = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing the first draft and happy editing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Sometimes it's happier than other times... ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!