Friday, May 17, 2013

Sweet Reads: Easy Lemon Cookies and The Help

Once a month I'll be posting a dessert recipe and an excerpt from a book thats struck me just right, whether it be gorgeous descriptions, funny dialogue, swoon-worthy kisses, sarcastic come-backs, or spine-tingling encounters.



The Help by Kathryn Stockett was an incredible read. It made me feel and think and burn with injustice. And laugh out loud! I was reading it one night in our bedroom, when I came across this:

On day three, Mother calls up the stairs to ask what in the world I'm doing up there all day and I holler down, Just typing up some notes from the Bible study. Just writing down all the things I love about Jesus.

I about lost it, which was a huge no-no because I'd just won a hard fought battle to get the kidlet to sleep. So I laughed into my pillow, and for the next half hour would break into quiet chuckles just thinking about the above passage.

The Help is told from different perspectives: Skeeter, Aibileen, and Minny. The voices of the three women were distinct, and each addicting in their own way. To me, The Help was about the worst in people, but also the best. If you haven't read it yet, it's most definitely worth all the praise and accolades it's received!

Now for the cookies! They don't look like much, but they're oh so yummy!

Easy Lemon Cookies

1(18.25 oz) package lemon cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs, oil and lemon extract until well blended. Drop teaspoonfuls of dough into a bowl of confectioners' sugar. Roll them around until they're lightly covered. Once sugared, put them on an ungreased cookie sheet.

3. Bake for 6 to 9 mins in preheated oven. The bottoms will be lightly brown, and the insides chewy.

Notes:
I followed a tip from what someone else said and used 1 tbsp lemon juice instead of lemon extract, for a better flavor. And I rolled my dough into a ball before rolling it in the sugar- much easier!

10 comments:

  1. I will have to check out The Help and try the cookies recipes. I love *easy* recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, knowing I haven't had to put a lot of work into something always makes it taste even yummier! ;)

      Delete
  2. There should be a cookbook with recipes that use five ingredients or less. I'd be the first to buy and use that one. Simplicity reigns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one! I Googled it(I love Google!) and it's called 5 Ingredients or Less! by Gooseberry Patch. Woo-hoo! Sounds like it'd be worth checking out, especially for the nights I get off late.

      Delete
  3. I agree the voices of the characters in The Help were wonderfully done. I couldn't help but love them. I wish the ending would have been tied up a bit better though.
    Your cookies look marvelous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My complaint w/the ending was not knowing how things worked out w/Aibileen...sweet ol' Aibee! And thanks, I'm getting ready to have the last of the cookies for breakfast. =)

      Delete
  4. YUM! I love literary recipes! And I really enjoyed THE HELP, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book- I wish there was a sequel! But I know some things are better left alone...sniffle... =(

      Delete
  5. I think you're on to something. How about a cookbook with recipes based on books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a recipe idea already! Hunger Games- Killer Berry Bars...lol!

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!