It's quite apparent that I will never be a food photographer...
I was first drawn to Pillage by Obert Skye b/c of the cover. A fire-breathing dragon carrying off a mailbox in front of a slivered moon? Made of win! And if you look closely, you can see envelopes trailing away. I don't know what Obert did when he first saw his cover, but if it was me there would have been lots of screaming, tears, and swooning. And maybe some secret cover kisses...(sorry, is that TMI?)
So can you tell I really like this cover? =)
Beck, the mc, has a sarcastic, dry tone to him, which I love in characters, and Obert definitely pegged the all important 'voice' in this novel. Here's some of my fav lines:
* Beck Phillips, bee wrangler.
* "Well, you've got no place to stay," he pointed out. "Even your neighbor has run out of compassion for you. I guess she didn't enjoy you putting her wig on that stray dog."
"It was a joke," I defended.
"It was the final straw."
* I'd always thought if I were ever faced with some terrible situation I would take the high road and bravely make the best of it.
It turns out that's not true.
I went from a boy of fifteen and three-quarters to a child of five and a half in an instant. I screamed like a tiny kid getting his hair pulled by the monster under the bed.
*"I hate spiderwebs," I admitted.
"You're not impressing me," she said dryly.
"I'm not trying to impress you," I said, bothered that she would even think that.
"Well, whether you're trying to or not, you're failing."
I hated girls.
Pillage is the first in a trilogy, with Choke next and then Ambush(which I will soon be getting my greedy hands on). Now on to the sweet stuff!
Philadelphia 3-Step White Chocolate-Strawberry* Swirl Cheesecake
2 pkgs(8 oz each) Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 squares Baker's Premium White Chocolate, melted
1 Oreo Pie crust (6 oz)**
3 Tbsp. strawberry preserves
Heat oven to 350
1. Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla w/electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs; mix just until blended. Stir in white chocolate. Pour into crust.
2. Microwave preserves in small bowl on high 15 sec. or until melted. Dot top of cheesecake with small spoonfuls of preserves. Cut through batter w/knife several times for marble effect.
3. Bake 35 to 40 min. or until center is almost set. Cool. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Store leftover cheesecake in refrigerator.
*The recipe is actually raspberry, but as not everyone in the fam is a raspberry fan, I substituted strawberry. And really, you could use any preserves you wanted. I'd like to try it w/blueberry sometime.
** I don't like the Oreo crusts all that much, so I just used a Honey Maid graham cracker crust.
I also melted more white chocolate and dribbled(a fun word!) it on top of the cheesecake: the more chocolate the merrier!