Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Sweet Reads: Chocolate-Filled Crescents and Emily Goes to Exeter

I'm a huuuge fan of Marion Chesney, and have been ever since I discovered her books at the library w/their wonderful sketched covers. The last few years I've been on a campaign to collect these books that bring back childhood nostalgia and I'm gradually building my collection through the used books available on Amazon and B&N.

Kirkus calls Chesney one of the best Regency writers, and I whole-heartedly agree. Some of my fav Chesney series are The Travelling Matchmaker(of which EGTE is the first), The School for Manners, The Poor Relations, and The Daughters of Mannerling.

For the most part, Chesney's stories follow a formula- girl meets guy, falls in love(most times reluctantly, though not always), a complication arises(a past jilted lover, spies, jealous debutantes, overbearing Mamas, etc), and all looks to fall apart, until due to an intervention(usually by some wiser older character) the lovers are reunited and headed to the alter...or Gretna Green. =)

Here's an excerpt:

"...But Miss Cudlipp with great bravery approached him and asked him why he was staring, and he said...do you know what he said?"

"'Your beauty has pierced my heart,' or some such thing?" suggested Hannah.

"Well...not exactly, but he said, 'The fair maiden yonder has struck my heart a blow. I am blinded by her beauty.'"

"Fiddlesticks," muttered Miss Pym.

"What did you say?"

"I said 'Fiddlesticks' because I thought the fire was dying down," said Hannah. "Go on about Mr. Williams."

"He begged permission to call, and so I gave him my direction," said Emily. "But when he called, my parents refused to have him admitted. They then asked around the town about him and found that although of gentle birth, he has little money, and so I received a terrible punishment."

"They beat you?"

"No, they took my novels."

Very proper, thought Hannah.

* * * *
 
Chocolate-Filled Crescents

1 can(8 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips
powdered sugar, if desired

1. Heat oven to 350. Separate dough into eight triangles.

2. Place tablespoon of choc. chips on wide end of each triangle. Roll up, starting at shortest side of the triangle, rolling to opposite point. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.

3. Bake @ 350 for 15-20 mins or until golden brown. Sprinkle w/powdered sugar.

The best way to eat these little yummers? Warm out of the oven with a glass of milk. Delish! I also imagine that they'd go well w/a cup of coffee. That is, if you like that foul brew...*shudders* ;)

10 comments:

  1. What a nifty idea for a quick chocolate "croissant," er, crescent. I should start reading regency romances just for this perfect combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I always think of them, too!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the Regency recommendation, Leandra. I haven't read any of Chesney's books, but am borrowing The Chocolate Debutante from Amazon. It looks like a fun read! Your crescents look delicious! = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that title, I'll have to check it out. And Chesney really is great!

      Delete
  3. OMG, you had my at chocolate-filled crescents. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty good! You're welcome, and thanks to you too! =)

      Delete
  4. Thanks! The book sounds good and the crescents sound even better!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!