Thursday, August 29, 2013

In Which I'm Still A Kid At Heart...

First, apologies. Since this is the last week in August, this should be a Sweet Reads post. But, alas, work has gotten in the way of me making delicious things. =( So instead, this will be a post about me playing with toys. Like the one below:
 
 
Isn't it cool? I'm sort of infatuated with it. I bought it on a whim for my kidlet(who from playing with his older cousin will aim his finger at you and go 'skhew, skhew') but, uh... I've sorta been aiming it at things myself. Though without the sound effects, I promise! It's just been alot of fun. Why, you ask? Because my main character, Amity, wears a pistol belt and in my mind, shoots something alot like this toy gun. Except, perhaps a little less piratey(that's what the box said they were--Pirate Pistols).
 
This also takes me back to the Revolutionary reenactment I'd attended this spring. One of the booths was selling swords-- a cutlass type and a broadsword. I wanted one so bad! I thought about buying one and telling my husband it was for research. That's not weird is it? I mean, I'd wait until it was dark so the neighbors couldn't see me charging about the backyard wildly waving a sword around...
 
Has there been anyone else who likes to do 'research' for your novels? Or keep their inner child alive? =0) 

26 comments:

  1. Argh, matey!

    My inner child stays highly amused by making silly Vine videos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a sea glass necklace that was just like my MC gave his girlfriend in my WIP. I love wearing it, it helps me keep my characters in mind even when I'm not writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sea glass! Such pretty stuff. What a neat way to keep your characters close!

      Delete
  3. If it makes a difference, as soon as I saw that gun I wanted to play with it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Research not only sends me back to homework-days, it reminds me that I am alive and learning. All the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the fun about research these days now that I'm older- I don't have to worry about being graded for it. ;)

      Delete
  5. Every once in a while, I'll buy a kid's DVD (like "Paranorman"). That's about all I do to keep my inner kid alive. I think being a first born child aged me pretty quickly. Have fun with your pistol! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the middle child between two brothers. I never got that sister, sigh... =)

      Delete
  6. I've been listening to the 50s radio station for research for my WIP, but secretly I like the music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's neat! Nothing comes to mind when I think of music in the 50s, except that one song 'Chantilly lace and a pretty face...' but maybe that was the 60s? =/

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the comment:)You are too kind:) Love the post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome- getting in your book is a big moment! And thanks to you too. =)

      Delete
  8. Yes! I attended two science fairs this spring as "research" for my new chapter book, which prominently features a science fair/ competition. I'm also learning a (very difficult) piano piece as research for the MG novel that I am working on. I love research--it really helps me to figure things out! = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always envious of people who can play the piano! My mother played, and I always wanted too, but once I got a few songs into the beginner piano books I'd always quit. =( And how neat w/the science fairs, I haven't been to one since my school days!

      Delete
  9. What a cool pirate pistol! I've been writing about cuttlefish lately, and haven't been able to eat it since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I've heard of cuttlefish, but I've never eaten it. I won't eat lamb, as I read too much James Herriott as a kid. Oh, and ducks too. We used to feed them at a local pond when I was little. =)

      Delete
  10. Someday I really want to make it to a reenactment! They seem so fun and fascinating, and since I've written about the Civil War, totally research worthy :) As for other research stuff, hmm, the things I've googled over the years has certainly left me on some NSA watchlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! I'm trying to think of the weirdest thing I've ever googled... Probably how to insert a nasogastric feeding tube. Us writers, huh?! ;)

      Delete
  11. I didn't think it was a toy gun. It looks real to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too, when I got the pic up. But in real life, it looks much more plasticy! *grins*

      Delete
  12. That is one of the coolest toy guns I have ever seen. I'd probably want to play with it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just this morning I was playing w/it w/my little guy. And really, I think it's only fair that I buy another one- one for him, and one for me, lol!

      Delete
  13. So cool to go to a reenactment! I'd love to had a real broadsword :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reenactment was a lot of fun! Excpet for the 'Indians' walking around in real honest-to-goodness loincloths...not so much fun... =/

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!