Friday, September 20, 2013

Sweet Reads: Cake Batter Fudge and Eyes Like Stars

Once a month I'll be posting a dessert recipe and an excerpt(s) from a book thats struck me just right, whether it be gorgeous descriptions, funny dialogue, swoon-worthy kisses, sarcastic come-backs, or spine-tingling encounters.
 

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev is the first in her All the World's a Stage trilogy. ELS had moments in it where I laughed out loud, and mainly b/c of the little pesky fairies you see on the cover: Peaseblossom, Cobweb, Moth, and Mustardseed. They're constantly getting up to something. See, here's a fight scene:

The boys rolled past them. Tufts of fairy hair, ripped out by the roots, drifted into the orchestra pit. Tiny scraps of clothing exited the brawling tumbleweed at sporadic intervals: a sleeve, a sock, a pointy-toed shoe.

"I'll beat you for a living!"

"You and what army?"

Here's a few other snippets I thoroughly enjoyed:

"So you want us to go...out there?" said Cobweb

"Yes, please."

"Now way!" yelled Mustardseed. "Who knows what's out there?"

"I bet I get eaten by a grue-" Moth paused, choking on his own spit and cowardice, then finished, "-a gruesome monster of indeterminate size and shape. I'm pretty sure I taste like chicken."

"You're bioluminescent," Bertie said. "Which means you taste awful. Now, come on."

And:

"Hey, Mustardseed took a bag of jelly beans!" Cobweb whined, far less concerned about access to the stage than stolen snacks.

"You can have the black one."

"But I wanted the red one!"

A muffled noise, then, "Now it's up my nose. Still want it?" followed by a very sulky "No!"

"That's why I don't eat the green ones." Bertie turned another corner only to collide with Ariel.

Ariel, btw, is a very swoon-worthy air elemental...*waggles eyebrows* If you enjoy plays and the theater, then Mantchev's series is a must read. And even if you don't, the characters and the imaginative colorful world that awaits in this series is bound to draw you in. As for this month's recipe, I picked it in part b/c it's yummy and in part b/c it sounded like something the fairies would only be too willing to dive into(literally).

Cake Batter Fudge

2 C white or yellow cake mix
2 C powdered sugar
1/2 C (1 stick) butter, cut into 4 pieces
1/4 C milk
1/2 C white chocolate chips
1/4-1/2 cup sprinkles

1. In a microwave proof mixing bowl combine cake mix and powdered sugar. Stir just to blend.
2. Add in butter and milk. No need to stir.
3. Microwave on high for 2 mins.
4. Immediately remove from microwave and carefully stir to combine. Once blended, add in white chocolate chips and blend again.
5. Fold in about half of your sprinkles to give some color.
6. Quickly spread fudge into a 8x8 greased pan. Add remaining sprinkles to top and gently press down to secure sprinkles. Refrigerate until completely chilled, then cut into 1 in. squares.

Warning: This stuff is addicting! It's easy to eat one little square, and then another, and another and another... Also, a quick thanks to Hannah from work who gave me this recipe. Thanks! =)

22 comments:

  1. I have a copy of ELS...somewhere :) I need to dig it out and read it :)

    And oh my gosh, that recipe sounds positively addicting!! I know what I'm making this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's responsible for me gaining like 3 lbs! Bad fudge...

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I don't know if I could handle cake batter fudge. XD I'm all for cake batter, but... I might get diabetes or something, ha!

    Love the cover of ELS, though I admit I'm not a faerie fan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, stay away! No gestational diabetes for you, young lady! ;)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea. I wonder if the fudge tastes like chicken too. :). Good merger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. White fudge, who knew?

    Oh, and that line, "I'll beat you for a living," is wonderful. A kiddo-chef in the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! We were actually watching a kid chef show last week, and one of the contestants accidentally used sea salt instead of sugar. Not good...

      Delete
  5. I have to look if I find it in italian:)It looks interesting! The recipe too even if someone says I should be on diet :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell myself all the time that I should be on a diet! So far it's not working. =)

      Delete
  6. First of all yum!
    I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check out the link:
    http://www.thisgirlreadsalot.blogspot.com/2013/09/liebster-award-nomination-insert.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious and the book cover is gorgeous. A nice pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy, I love to read while eating something delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That recipe looks pretty yummy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Though definitely on the very sweet side.

      Delete
  10. This is an awesome post idea. I LOVE it!!!! This recipe looks amazing, as does the book. :) I will have to start watching for these posts for sure! New follow via GFC!!

    Crystal @ Crystal in Bookland
    http://crystalinbookland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I only wish I had a better camera and skills at taking pics of food. Mine never look like something you'd want to actually eat, lol! I'm now envious of all those food blogs whose pics of their recipes look amazing!

      Delete
  11. Cake batter fudge sounds yummy ... though I did go 'Ewww' when one of the characters stuck a jellybean up his nose. LOl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those fairies are something else! Though they kinda remind me of some of my brother's antics. Growing up, whenever there was one last piece of something left, he'd lick it so that I wouldn't want it. Worked everytime...

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!