Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Sweet Reads Spooky Edition: Halloween Chex Mix and The Monstrumologist

Once a month I'll be posting a dessert recipe and an excerpt(s) from a book that's struck me just right, whether it be gorgeous descriptions, funny dialogue, swoon-worthy kisses, sarcastic come-backs, or spine-tingling encounters.


As I was perusing my shelves for a scary pick this month, I was coming up a bit dry, as I don't really read 'scary'. I'm a chicken. But when my eye landed on The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey(you know that The Fifth Wave guy?) I knew I had a winner. This book delivers on the gore; within the first twenty pages we have the body of a girl on an examination table- with a dead monster still attached. Funny enough, it choked on her pearls while munching away...

The mc, Will, is one brave little man. He follows Dr. Pellinore Warthrop(that's a mouthful) into some heart-pounding scary places. But as the good doctor took him in when his parents died, Will feels like his home is by the doctor's side, despite what goes on in that man's basement. Not for the faint-hearted, lemme tell you. Here's the monstrumologist teaching Will a few things:

"Their reach exceeds that of an average man by nearly a foot and a half. Observe how large its hands is." He placed his own hand, palm to palm, against the monster's. The creature's hand engulfed the doctor's as an adult's would a child's. "Like the lion, it uses it claws as its primary form of attack, but, unlike the large mammalian predators, it does not attempt to kill its prey before it begins to feed. More like the shark or an insect, the Anthropophagus prefers living flesh."

Charming. And b/c no spooky edition isn't complete w/out a good chase scene, here ya go:

They came from the trees; they poured out of Eliza's grave, dozens of them, scores, sprinting with arms outstretched and mouths agape, their colorless skin radiant in the starlight, as if every tomb and sepulcher had vomited forth their foul contents. Clearly we were being outpaced. I watched in helpless horror as the swarm of fiends closed the gap.

Now on to something more cheery- sweet stuff!

Halloween Chex Mix

8  oz white chocolate baking bars, coarsely chopped
4  cups Corn Chex or Rice Chex cereal
2  cups bite-size pretzel twists
1/2  cup raisins
1  cup candy corn
1/4  cup orange and black candy decors

1. In large microwavable bowl, microwave chopped baking bars uncovered on High 1 min 30 seconds to 2 mins 30 seconds, until melted and smooth.

2. Gently stir in cereal, pretzels and raisins until evenly coated. Stir in candy corn and decors.

3. Spread on waxed paper or foil until cool and chocolate is set, about 30 mins. Break into chunks. Store loosely covered.

I couldn't find any decors(what the heck...?) so I just bought sprinkles. Happy "goblin"! And for all those who might be trick or treating this year- stay safe out on the roads!

16 comments:

  1. You're braver than me - that book sounds far too scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely had its moments! And book two, The Curse of the Wendigo, is even scarier!

      Delete
  2. We need to trick or treat at your house! That looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon over! My front door light is burned out, but I'll still let you in. ;)

      Delete
  3. That chex mix sounds DELICIOUS! And I'm even more of a wimp than you - I don't think I could read it! Although I love the title :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I'll give you a scary book 'no-no'- Long Lankin. That book scared the crap out of me! Being in my house when it was dark gave me the heebie-jeebies for weeks!

      Delete
  4. I am totally creeped out by ANYTHING that doesn't kill its prey before noshing and I have to congratulate you on the charming juxtaposition of horror and Halloween Chex Mix in a single blog post! The scariest book I EVER read was The Shining by Stephen King. I was alone with a three year old during a massive snow storm while my husband was away on business. I stayed awake for three days. When he got home, I burst into tears, threw the book at him and had a nap. He's not an alcoholic OR a writer, so I felt safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What were you thinking?! Stephen King while home alone- no, no, no!!! Lol! =)

      Delete
  5. Ooh, the book sounds interesting. I can do scary, but I don't normally gravitate toward them in books. :) Love the check mix recipe, sounds yummo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanna know a secret? I ate one teensy-weensy bite of the chex mix, and that was it. Sometimes when I bake something, just smelling it for an extended period of time makes me not want it at ALL! Weird, huh?

      Delete
  6. Oooh, I love chex mix :) Going to have to try this out (even a little Halloween belated!). And this book has been sitting on my shelf for a while--high time to crack it open I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the third book in the series has been out for awhile. I need to get it so I can find out what happens w/poor Will.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the comment:) The recipe looks great,I must try one day:) The book is great:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! I always look forward to your illustrations!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like good, scary FUN, Leandra! The recipe looks great, too! = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about fun about being scared, isn't there? As long as it's from my couch(w/the lights on)! ;)

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!