Saturday, December 7, 2013

Christmas Contest Winners

Not gonna lie: It was hard. So hard, in fact, that I wish I'd decided to not be a judge at all, and handed all the responsibility over to Kimberly! I printed out my selections of favorite entries and read them over and over again(silently and out loud) and waffled back and forth- I wish I could send you all a prize! But as I can only pick one, my winner is....

Jill!
The elf who wasn't an elf, snuck down the dark street, a bag of presents in her hand.
 
This line really stuck with me, and I could just imagine opening a MG novel and reading this as a first sentence. I want to know why this 'elf' is sneaking about; for good or bad reasons? What is going on? I would definitely be drawn to read on. Congrats, Jill, I hope you enjoy Bear Stays Up for Christmas! 
 
And Kimberly's winner is...
 
Lexa Cain!
It wasn't the way the dead body was splayed on the snowy street, hair draped across its face like tinsel, but the giant candy cane stabbed into the center of its chest that made Detective Peters shake his head and say, "The holidays are murder."
 
Kimberly said: I chose Lexa's entry because it's sounds like the beginning of an episode of CSI. Also, I'm crazy curious how a candy cane is used as a murder weapon. Those things are awfully fragile. This was a macabre, out-of-the-box entry that hooked me immediately. (Enjoy your children's picture book- Winter is for Snow!)
 
Also, Kimberly and I wanted to join in the fun as well, and share some first lines that we crafted from the list. Here's mine:
 
She caught sight of the reindeer, blood frozen in its fur, just as the first flake of snow fell.
 
And here's Kimberly's:
 
The first Hanukkah after we moved to New Jersey, my father drove us around snowy streets and counted the electric menorahs glowing on window sills because as a native New Yorker, he felt better seeing there were other Jews in the neighborhood.
 
So thank you to everyone who stopped by and joined in the fun. The entries were so good that you really did make it hard to pick a winner! To the winners, please email me at leandrawallaceatgmail.com and let me know where to send your books to. And a big thank you to Kimberly(facebooktwitter, & blog) for helping me with this contest- you're a great friend! And last but not least, I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a fantastic holiday season, eating good food and enjoying time with family and friends.
 
Image courtesy of voicable.org

 

33 comments:

  1. I sure am glad I didn't have to pick a winner! Tough job! Thanks for the fun contest. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so glad to be a part of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should make this an annual thing...? =)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for picking my sentence! I love all of these and I totally want to read the stories that go with them. :-)

    (p.s. tried to comment a minute ago but the internet seems to have eaten it...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the internet is a ravenous beast. And you're welcome! Thanks for participating- and if you ever finish your elf story, lemme beta it for you. ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They really are- Jill, Lexa, & Kimberly did a great job!

      Delete
  5. Love the first one. I can really see this as an MG, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has that feel doesn't it? And I so love MG.

      Delete
  6. Next year I say we do this contest Hunger Games style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leandra, You did a great job with the winners! All the first sentences are sharp and clever, well-written. What a fun contest:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the choices! There were soooo many good entries and I can't imagine having to pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Those are some great lines!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like all of these. It's really fun to see all the different directions people go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are really great lines! I can only imagine how difficult it must've been to choose a winner. You chose really good ones, though!

    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog today. :) Hope you have a terrific week, Leandra!!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great first lines! I especially love "the elf who was not an elf!" = )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to the winners! This was a lot of fun and fun to read them too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These were so much fun to read!! I loved all four (and I feel like Kimberly's is describing my family ;) ). Congrats to the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to the winners! This was a fun activity and I enjoyed reading all the terrific entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. To Liz: Kimberly told me that this is actually a true story, so there you go! =)
    To Catherine- Thanks for stopping by!

    And sorry, gals, that I'm not replying individually, the blog's acting a bit wonky today. =/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I missed the contest but those lines all sound great! Congratulations to Jill and Lexa! And I hope you enjoy the holidays too, Leandra. (:

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these lines. Congrats to the winners.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!