Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Cover Reveal, Pirate Jokes, & Flash Fiction

Arrrrr, mateys! I'm super excited to help the lovely Ashely Nixon reveal the cover of Cutlass, her YA fantasy. I always enjoy visiting Ashley's blog and hearing what's going on in her world(I love her blog header- artwork of two of her characters). So without further ado, here is the gorgeousness that is Cutlass:

Guys, there's sparkles on it!

Blurb:
Notorious pirate Barren Reed has one thing on his mind: Revenge against the man who killed his father. So kidnapping his enemy's fiancĂ© seems a perfect plan…until he actually does it.

Larkin Lee is more than a pretty face and fiancé to a powerful man. Her fierce personality is enough to make any pirate want to push her overboard.

But when the King of the Orient comes to Barren with a task—to find the Bloodstone, a powerful gem thought only to exist in legend, Barren sees another opportunity to destroy his enemy. Together, Barren, Larkin and a crew of pirates set off to find the stone, only to discover it caused the death of Barren’s own mother and Larkin’s, too. As his strongest allies turn into his greatest enemies, and the life of the girl he kidnapped becomes more important than he ever dreamed, Barren’s quest for revenge becomes a fight to save the Orient.


And to add some fun to the cover reveal, Ashely asked that we either share a pirate joke or a piece of flash fiction. But as I always have trouble deciding between things, I went with both. Here's my flash fiction of what I would imagine Cutlass is about just by looking at the cover:

It could go one of two ways. The pirates could board the ship and win, or they could be beaten back; forced to limp off into the Caribbean blue with more ballast in their hold than before. He tightened his grip on the cutlass. Braced his feet wide as multiple cannon was fired, the after-effects shuddering through the deck. Screams rent the air, joining in with the raucous cries of the seagulls wheeling above. They were well acquainted with battles at sea and knew what would follow- lifeless bodies gently riding the swells, offering up days of feasting. He glanced up at the skull and crossbones flag of his ship and grinned fiercely. It was time to fight. 

And here's two groan-worthy jokes I liked:

Why does it take pirates so long to learn the alphabet?
Because they can spend years at C!

Why did the pirate run aground?
His eye-patch was the wrong prescription!

And....*waits for groans to die down* if you'd like the chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card, then enter the Rafflecopter below(there's also another $25 Amazon gift card up for grabs if you like or share Cutlass on Facebook!).

Rafflecopter giveaway

Want to keep up w/Ashely and Cutlass? Here's a few places they can be found:


Links:
 
Cutlass will be available to eagerly devour read on April 23, 2014.
 
And last but not least- Congratulations, Ashley!!!


50 comments:

  1. Lol. I'm digging the jokes. ;) And I love this cover, it's perfect!
    I think my favorite pirate is Captain Jack, mainly because I love Johnny Depp. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat Depp for pirate swagger, that's for sure. =)

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I love the font for the title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verrry pretty! (imagine me rolling my r's) =)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and Ashley's hair is awesome! I've always wanted purple streaks in my hair. I'm too chicken to do it, so I'm a little jealous of how great Ashley's hair looks. ;)

      Delete
    3. It does look great! You should go for it, Kelly! =)

      Delete
  3. Yay, it's Ashley day! I love it :) And your flash fiction was a ton of fun, and makes up for the jokes... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stuck at C... Doh!

    My favorite pirate joke is the Wheel of Fortune one, where after consistently guessing wrong ("Arrr") they tailor a puzzle to Mr. Pirate and ask him if he things he can get this one right. His response, "Aye."

    Okay, so I'm not so great at writing out jokes, but I liked yours.

    (I LOVE the sparkles on the cover.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband swears I'm the worst @ telling jokes, lol! And yay for sparkles!

      Delete
  5. That cover is so romantic! The book must be a real swashbuckling adventure. Wishing Ashley much success! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely excited to read it- I'm long overdue to read something swashbuckling. =)

      Delete
  6. I love this cover so much! Now I didn't get the word we were supposed to do jokes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I did two- one for you, one for me. =)

      Delete
    2. Ha, you are so darn sweet! Thank you! ;)

      Delete
  7. I'm very impressed with your pirate jokes. :) And this cover is beautiful. Congratulations, Ashely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The story looks very nice:) Great cover:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be pleased with that cover too. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw the cover over at Kimberly's. It's so good I love seeing it again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover looks sparkly! Also, the first joke made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! And here I thought all I'd get were groans... ;)

      Delete
  12. Congratulations to Ashley. Merry Christmas Leandra :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a gorgeous cover. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. bahaha! One day I spent all day looking up pirate jokes! They were so awesome and corny! LOL. Thank you so much Leandra! Brittiny Hines did my blog header! I am so glad you like it! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It was fun seeing Cutlass get so much love. =)

      Delete
  15. Oh, and thanks everyone for your AMAZING and AWESOME comments, I am so grateful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing. I'm so happy for Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Since I'm a Disney fan, my favorite pirate would have to be Captain Hook. This sounds like a fantastic book. And I'm in love with that cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see Captain Hook everyday on Disney Jr, lol!

      Delete
  18. Superb cover! Happy holidays, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have a terrific holiday season!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy smokes! That's an awesome cover! Congrats to Ashley! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That cover is amazing!! I haven't heard of this one, but love a good sea adventure :) And totally got a giggle from your jokes :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think your flash fiction sounds pretty good. :D And I enjoyed your punny joke, too, hee hee.

    Is this YA, by the way, and male POV? It looks fun! I quite like the cover, too.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally missed your questions there, sorry! Yes, it's YA and I'm pretty sure it's from a male POV.

      Delete
  23. holy crap. That looks amazing and sounds great! Can't wait until i can get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that is a totally awesome cover!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sparkling pirates are new to me. Great cover!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!