Tuesday, January 21, 2014

'His' & 'Hers' Spine Poetry

 
I belong to a cool group over on Goodreads, called David Estes Fan Club and YA Book Lovers Unite(woot!). A while back I stumbled upon a topic with the label of Spine Poetry. So of course I checked it out, because what's not intriguing about those two words together? Anyhoo, spine poetry is where you make a poem out of book titles. You stack the books, and the titles on the spine(read from top to bottom) make up your poem. Neato!
 
To double the fun, both the husband and I created some spine poetry. And since a little healthy competition can be good for a marriage, I'm posting them both w/out telling you whose poem is whose- and I'd like you all to vote for your favorite. The wager that's at stake? The loser has to do the dishes for life. Holy matrimony bells!!!

Yeah... I'm soooo just kidding. The real wager is a back rub. =) And in no particular order, here are our poems. {psst! Email me and I'll tell you which one is mine. Oh, that's cheating? *grumble-mumble* Fine.} Oh, and a quick disclaimer: Neither me nor my husband are poets!

Exhibit A.


Silence across the universe,
the Everafter forever ruined.
Radiant shadows
devoured the Lost Saint.
Stealing heaven,
impossible.











Exhibit B.


Black hole sun, the dark is rising.
Monsters of men,
the last Olympian.
Beautiful darkness, pay the piper.
Fragile eternity, once dead, twice shy.
The end.











If you'd like to, cast your vote for either A or B in the comments and at the end of my next post on Jan. 28th, I'll announce who won. {crosses fingers...} And on a side note, today is mine and the hubs eighth anniversary. We'll be celebrating by going to our fav Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight. Yerm.

Also, my critique partner just launched her newly redesigned website. It looks fantastic! To celebrate she's giving away an ARC of Saundra Mitchell's MISTWALKER to one lucky person who comments before the 25th. Go over and check her blog out! kimberlyggiarratano.com
 

52 comments:

  1. Ooh, these are both really good! I think I'm going to go with A. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun, especially for those of us who are drowning in books. Now we have a noble excuse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go- you can make stacks of poetry everywhere. :)

      Delete
  3. Fun game! I vote for A. And happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary.

    I like your poem best (which is hardly cheating at all)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Is it that obvious whose is whose? Actually...I think it is! ; D

      Delete
  5. How fun. Kind of like those magnetic poetry kits. I also vote for A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wanted to get one of those. I'd just have to keep it out of reach of the kidlet. We had a magnetic alphabet set for him that slowly disappeared from the fridge. Every now and then I'll find a dusty U or K hiding somewhere!

      Delete
  6. Thanks, girl for the shout-out. And I'm voting for B. It's dark and I'm intrigued. Happy Anniversary! Also, I'm jealous of your Mexican dinner out. We're expecting oodles of snow in northeast PA and it blows! I'd kill for some taquitos about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, B's getting some love! The restaurant is only a few mins away, which is super nice. I'm going to get what I always do - arroz con pollo. So yummy! I'm also dying for a nice fizzy dt coke!

      Delete
  7. That is awesome! I loved these poems! What a smart idea... and happy anniversary!

    I vote A!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The food was great & we got through dinner w/out the kidlet screaming to get out of the highchair- so win, win!

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary!! I love the spine poetry - it's surprisingly beautiful. I vote for A :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love both,but if I have to choose I say: A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A is certainly getting the love! * heh, heh*

      Delete
  10. Exhibit A!! and what an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to have to say A but I really like B too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I be honest? I think they're both kinda bad, lol!

      Delete
  12. I'd never heard of spine poetry before but what a fun idea! And now you've got me looking at my bookshelf in a totally new way....
    And I agree with the other commenters, I vote A. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I wonder who originally thought it up? Pretty clever!

      Delete
  13. What a very cool idea. I vote for A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! Both came out surprisingly well, but I'm going to have to go with the A team. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My guess is you compiled A. :) Happy Anniversary! (albeit a bit late)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I completely love this! I never heard of spine poetry. Did you arrange the books, or is the stack random? The poems make so much sense! As poetry goes. I've often found it rather obscure...

    My vote is A.

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, you arrange it! Tho seeing what you could get randomly would be fun. :)

      Delete
  17. I'm tempted not to vote because it might get me in trouble! But I have to go with A. What a COOL concept though. I think I might try that just for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Remarkable poetry idea. I'm also part of David's group on Goodreads, but haven't had to time to invest in the group as I wished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't comment as often as I'd like either- so much social media, so little time! :)

      Delete
  19. I loved both poems! What a great idea. Somehow titles automatically "cut to the chase" so to speak :).

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would vote for B, your husband's poem.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A is totally a woman poem, and B is totally a man. No questions asked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it cracked me up seeing what he'd selected. Typical! =)

      Delete
  22. I just love book spine poetry. What a fun contest. I vote for A! Happy Anniversary =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I vote for A as well, Leandra! (They are both terrific, though...) And happy belated anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is too cute! I hope you two had a great anniversary. As for my guess, I'm going to say I think yours is A, his B :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have to go for Exhibit B, principally because Black Hole Sun is a Soungarden song, and Dark is Rising is a film (one that I have never seen).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it, as I loved the books as a kid. It definitely wasn't as good as the book, but when are they ever, right? And I wasn't surprised that the first book my hubs picked from the shelf was Black Hole Sun- he loves that song!

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!