The Headhunters Race, Survival Questions, and A Giveaway!
The lovely Kimberly Afe is here today in celebration of the release of her YA novel, The Headhunters Race. Doesn't that cover just make you want to read it?! And if the cover doesn't(what's wrong w/you?!) then the blurb surely will:
Sixteen-year-old Avene was sentenced to prison at thirteen for a crime she didn't commit. Now she has a chance to win her freedom back – if she enters the Headhunters Race. Second prize isn't so bad either, an upgrade to the Leisure Prison if you make it to the finish line. To win either prize, Avene and the other prisoners must navigate one hundred and fifty miles of dense forest, desert, and worst of all, cannibal territory.
With a mechanical collar timed to strangle the prisoners if they're not back in nine days, Avene allies herself with seventeen-year-old McCoy, another prisoner that insists on helping her at every turn and a boy she's trying hard not to fall for. Together they battle nature, other prisoners, and the timed death collars to win the coveted prize. But when Avene is tested with one deadly conflict after another, she realizes there is more at stake than winning her freedom – first she has to survive.
What can I say, Kimberly? You had me at cannibals! =) So with the nature of this novel being about survival, I composed a list of questions for Kimberly to answer.
1. You're stranded and famished. You have the dinner options of a) grubworms b) raw snake c) bird eggs d)
berries Naw, I'm not gonna be that nice... So which do you choose? Well, darn. I've never tried any of these but berries, and of course, I would have picked those. I'm definitely not doing raw snake, although I've heard it tastes like chicken and I like chicken. I think I'll play it safe and go with "bird eggs" and hopefully that means there are actual *eggs* inside and not birds. :)
2. Would you rather be stranded and have to go into survival mode with a brawny, can-knock-down-trees-by-
himself sort of guy, or a brainiac, can-think-his-way-out-of- tough-situations sort of guy? And lemme boil that down for you- stranded with Brawn or Brains? =) Okay, you got me here! What girl doesn't want both. :) Okay, let me think. Hmmm, can I have both? Okay, fine. I'll go with brains. OMGosh, no!! I changed my mind - Brawn! Because I've got brains. hee hee.
3. Would you rather have to try and survive in the lonely wilds of The Rocky Moutains, the rain forests of South America, or the sandy beach of a deserted island in the Pacific? I'll go with The Rocky Mountains - I figure I'll have more of a chance there than with poisonous, slithery creatures and sharks. :)
4. What skill would you rather have? a) the ability to make a fire with two sticks or b) the ability to make snares to trap wildlife? I would love to learn how to make a snare, but on the other hand, I'm always cold so a fire might come in handy. **Sneaks in two answers** hee hee. :)
5. It's very cold and it's raining. You see a cave, but as the trees surrounding it are marked by fresh claw marks, you're afraid it could be the den of bears, wolves, cougars,
ogres. Do you risk death by exposure to the elements or death by fang and claw? Oh, man. **shivering** ummmm, hmmm, OMGosh, okay - yes! I'm freezing so I'll chance it! **Steps inside, looks around** "It looks alrig—"
Oh, no! That did not end well for Kimberly... *sad face* Anyone care to guess what got her? =) And b/c I care about you all, and I don't want you to ever end up with no resources in a cold forest, I'm giving away a survival kit to one lucky commenter. It's so small it can fit in your pocket! The giveaway will be open from 1/7- 1/12, with the winner announced on 1/13.
Image courtesy of SURVIVALKITSUSA on Etsy
There's also a Rafflecopter giveaway going on for 2 prize packages containing an ecopy of THR and the SAS Survival Handbook, and 1 prize package of an ecopy of THR and a $25 Amazon gift card. Make sure and enter to give yourself a chance to win these cool prizes!
Kimberly is the mother of two awesome kids, wife of the nicest man in the world, and her dog's best friend. She works by day and writes middle grade and young adult science fiction and fantasy novels in her spare time. She lives with her family in the beautiful Sonoran Desert.