Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Office Reveal

Huzzah! After working on it for far too long... I'm done! Here it is: 
 

The view from the doorway.


This is my desk, looking a little weird w/out handles. I bought an older desk for the character, and the price I'm paying for character is that I can't find different handles to fit. When summer comes I'm going to take the original ones outside and paint them white. Anyhoo, one of my fav things in my office is the chandelier silhouette. It reminds me of growing up reading Regency Romances. I always adored the ballroom scenes- the sparking chandeliers, the hothouse flowers, champagne fountains, the fancy-dressed lords and ladies. Next is my inspiration board, which is a mish mash of WIP inspirations and swag I've received. Also, do you see my chevron light switch plate? So cute!
 

I love this lamp. The rosettes are so girly! And, of course, there's my mason jars, which are a decorating godsend. They can be used for SO much. Just look on Pinterest!
 

This is my fav pic of the hubs and kidlet from when he was born. It was their official meet and greet, the kidlet having just been all cleaned up. The hubs wasn't too keen on the slimy version... ;)


This is the middle drawer, which I was able to replace the knobs on since they're single holes. I loved these bicycles as soon as I laid eyes on them. And this is the contact paper I lined all the drawers with.


Here's a full length shot of the desk. One thing that really sold me on it was the curving top. It makes resting your arms on it much more comfy when you don't have a hard edge biting into you.
 

Here's some of my ampersands, and another of my fav decorating items: glass jars w/tops. I'd buy out Hobby Lobby and TJ Maxx's selection if I had the room... and money!
 

 From top to bottom: a grey ampersand, ceramic fox, spray painted deer antler, fav pic of kidlet when he was smaller, an L, a very small origami ceramic swan, a ceramic French Bull Dog{that's actually a piggy bank that I got at the Dollar Store- score!}, and a fake plant.
 

Wooden block that says Make It Happen, another ampersand, ceramic horse head, a white mouse, candle holder w/a beetle on it{not necessarily a bug fan, but he just spoke to me...and was on sale}, and a yarn wrapped hippo.
 

 A ceramic quail, frame w/scrapbook paper, fake plant, ceramic parrot, and one more ampersand.
 

 On top of the third bookcase, bowls and the other half of my deer antler pair. I knew I wanted deer antlers in my office as they're another childhood reminder. My grandpa was an avid deer hunter, and in their living room was a deer head and a long row of mounted antlers. And Grandpa had a story to go w/every one of them... =) And these antlers are actually from him. Dunno what he'd think about me spray painting them!
 

And last but not least, my bee trashcan.
 
So there you have it: my office! I love having a space that's dedicated to my two passions: reading and writing. For those who are curious about the backs of my bookcases, I cut foam board to size and covered them in fabric. Unfortunately, I ran out of board and actually have the last two bottom rows of the shelves to cover yet. But, man, was it ever a pain to do, so I might just ignore those rows and call it finished anyway. Hope you all enjoyed the breakdown of my office!  

81 comments:

  1. I love it!

    Those rosettes on the lampshade look very like the ones the outer part of my wedding dress was made from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet your dress was gorgeous! Anything w/lace, sparkles, or rosettes always grabs my attention clothing wise.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful office. It makes me yearn for a makeover, but for now I need to sort hubby (bless!) out with his desk space. I have the feeling that my space will be the last to sort out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to convince my husband to redo our den (his space), but he likes his minimalist look just fine. *sigh* Here's to your space time coming soon!

      Delete
  3. Nice! Now can I borrow you to come do mine? LOL. With the three kids home ALL the time and writing deadlines, I'm lucky if the toilet gets cleaned. I'm in awe of those who find the time to fix everything up so it feels awesome. --Which your office does. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine the chaos w/3 kidlets! I've just the one, but the house feels overtaken sometimes w/ toys & books. Ok...the books would be my fault. :)

      Delete
  4. Great office. I couldn't work in something that clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course I picked up for pics, Mooky! :) Right now, the hub's golf clubs and the vacuum cleaner are making things a bit more cluttered. And some dumb workout bar that he never uses!

      Delete
  5. Could I show my husband your bookshelves so that I can prove to him that I need more books? ;)

    This office is fabulous. I love it. Can't wait 'til I completely finish mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, permission granted. :) Tell him it's a future investment in your child's literacy skillz, lol! And thx!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! Having a spot like that would be so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your office is so organized!

    I love all the personal touches that make it feel homey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous!! I too have a thing for ampersands. I saw a wood one in Target a few years ago and didn't have the money at the time--been regretting it ever since! I'll have to try and find some online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Etsy's a good place to look too. I have a big wooden one from TJ Maxx in our bedroom that I love. Ampersands for the win! :)

      Delete
  9. Love it! You have such great ideas and an eye for detail. May the new space bring you much success :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is incredibly neat and organized! My bookshelves don't look anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine have had their moments over the years! But then it starts driving me eye- twitching crazy and I have to do something about it. :)

      Delete
  11. It's LOVELY, Leandra. I like the framed "&" and the yellow desk most of all, but really, every bit of it is welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very partial to my framed ampersands.

      Delete
  12. I love it!! It all ties together so well, too. The chevron pattern is adorable, and I love the little touches :) Where did you find all the cool ampersands? They're perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! Chevron is such a fun pattern. And all of my ampersands in my office came from either Etsy or Hobby Lobby. Aka 'the dark holes of cute decor providers that eat my money'... =D

      Delete
  13. Amazing! I can't wait to get an office, but I have to wait until the addition is put on this spring. Enjoy it, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous office! I'm jealous your bookshelves are so tidy. Mine are overflowing and look that way! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! I have several overflow stacks in the corner- I need more shelves. But don't we all? :)

      Delete
  15. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. You have a great sense of style.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the coolest, sweetest office! I love it. You are so talented. I always love when your posts pop up. They're fun, informative and always full of flair and pizzazz!!!

    Keep up the nice work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Vanessa, that's so nice of you to say!

      Delete
  17. OMG, Leandra--it's fantastic! I love all the personal touches. I'm so inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful space to work in! Looks beautiful, well-planned and well-loved :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! I have to say the one thing I always think of when I'm in there is that the kidlet will one day be browsing my shelves for stuff to read- which makes me so happy! :)

      Delete
  19. What a beautiful office! I especially love your yellow desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! At one point I sorta hated it- back when I was painting it. Other people make painting furniture look so easy. It almost killed me, lol! But I'm back to loving it now. :)

      Delete
  20. Very swanky. And it's so clutter free. Aaah, that for me would be bliss. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, give it a few days & there'll be clothes hanging off the chair and books piled on the desk. :)

      Delete
  21. What a great room to work in! Mine is a fake wood table that can raise or lower for my desk, desk lamp and floor lamp, two drawer file, wooden tv trays to hold the printer, a used rolling desk from a business that didn't want it anymore, and two pretty nice bookshelves from a 3 piece wall center that wouldn't fit in the living room. All on an 8 x 10 scatter rug to keep my toes warm in winter. :)
    I'll be looking at these pics again and sighing in envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm toes are essential to productivity! =D

      Delete
    2. Sure is and I meant rolling chair not desk :)

      Delete
    3. Lol! Well, a rolling desk could be useful at times. ;)

      Delete
  22. Such a wonderful room to write and read in. I love the lamp, the picture of your husband and kidlet, and the bicycle prints on the knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's so cute! Shows a lot of delightful personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll have to tell my husband that. ;)

      Delete
  24. It's beautiful and hey, it matches your blog! :)


    shahwharton.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! I'm a bit of a fan of softer colors. :)

      Delete
  25. Wow -- gorgeous and ambitious. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely feeling the ambitious part when it came to covering the bookshelves w/fabric. Bit off more than I wanted to chew there! :) And thx!

      Delete
  26. Beautiful office:) It looks so well organized,I'd like to have a place like this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Leandra,

    Wow, what a nice breakdown of your office set up. Very impressive and no doubt, creates the positive ambience you desire.

    A lovely weekend to you.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMGosh! What an awesomely fabulous office. I love all the colors - and I think I have that exact same desk! I need to refinish it as well someday. :) If I had that space, I would never leave it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious- so does a girl I work with! They must have mass produced these suckers in the 70's or something! :) And thx!

      Delete
  29. Your office looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love it, love it! Definitely worth the time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! I'm starting to agree now that all the grunt work is done, lol!

      Delete
  31. I love your desk, with or without handles! It's so unique and retro looking. Your office is totally gorgeous! I bet you'll get a ton of work done in there and be sending out manuscripts left and right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love that writing space! So cozy, and really seems to reflex your personal style! Yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! I knew that was important to me right away, putting lots of touches of 'me' in there. Yay seconded! :)

      Delete
  33. I love it! That's the type of office I need. I could definitely feel inspired to write in a room like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! It never fails to give me a lift, even if I'm just running in to grab a book or pen.

      Delete
  34. I am so jealous!!! I would love to have such a girly writing space. I have to share mine with stinky boys.
    I have a dresser like your desk. I never thought to use it as a desk. I bought it years ago at a yard sale. I love old furniture...so much more character!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fav piece of furniture in my house is this little white table that I pulled out of someone's trash. And it was perfect exactly the way it was, w/the paint all scuffed up. I have no idea why they got rid of it! I never will! =)

      Delete
  35. Wow, look at all those books! The mini chandelier is a nice touch. ;) It's always so lovely to make your own little happy space where you feel free to think and dream. Wishing you lots of productive hours at that desk!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yup, I love my chandelier- it makes me feel all fancy and such. Lol!

      Delete
  36. It's beautiful leandra! You did an awesome job! Maybe I should have you help me finish decorating my house ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime! You supply the moolah and we can go raid Hob Lob. =D Which, by the way, if this is Casey, your house is already super cute!

      Delete
  37. Haha! Yes it was

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Leandra! Love the colors of your office space, especially the chevron print!! This makes me think that maybe I need an office....You've inspired me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! =) I really enjoy having 'my' space. 'Course, the kidlet still enjoys going in there and rearranging it from time to time... ;)

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!