Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Kidlet's Bday Party

Today is the kidlet's birthday, in which he turns two! Due to work schedules we celebrated it over the weekend and I snapped a few pics to share w/you all. I did a slight theme centered around one of his fav picture books, All Through My Town by Jean Reidy & illustrated by Leo Timmers. 



The cupcake toppers feature vehicles, which he loves to point out in the book. And you can see the 'road' I created to run along the front of the table. I'd also made little trees and bushes and a stop-sign to put in front of the presents, but they were so light-weight that the breeze from someone walking by would knock them over so...no go.

 {Chocolate-Chip Banana Cupcakes}

This was my first time buying an icing decorator set and boy...did it not go as I'd imagined! Reality was much harder and messier. By the front two in the middle, you can see where I got over it and just smeared icing on them. If you're sensing a second theme to this party, it's that I was sweating and frantic before it even started- and it was just for family! No way could I ever be an event coordinator....


This is my fav pic, even though you can't see his face. He's taking in all his bday splendor and I love how you can tell he's smiling by his bunched up cheek- and he's looking at his book! Makes a mommy's heart proud. =)


And here's the booger, who kept trying to back up under the table while I was taking his pic. There's my messy-haired, big-eared boy! 


It was a fun evening of taco salad, cupcakes and ice cream, and of course, presents. We got him a little putt-putt set, a three pack of 'men' (robot figurines), and Are You My Mother by P.D. Eastman. Anyone remember that classic? Anyway, I'm just amazed that he's two already! Also, Happy 2nd Birthday to another kidlet, Ben Giarratano! (yup, me and my critique partner's little guys were born on the same day- crazy, huh?) 
 
AND!!!
   
In other exciting news, a fellow Hoosier's book released today! Skila Brown's CAMINAR. Check out this intriguing cover:

Set in 1981 Guatemala, a lyrical debut novel tells the powerful tale of a boy who must decide what it means to be a man during a time of war.

Carlos knows that when the soldiers arrive with warnings about the Communist rebels, it is time to be a man and defend the village, keep everyone safe. But Mama tells him not yet—he’s still her quiet moonfaced boy. The soldiers laugh at the villagers, and before they move on, a neighbor is found dangling from a tree, a sign on his neck: Communist.

Mama tells Carlos to run and hide, then try to find her. . . . Numb and alone, he must join a band of guerillas as they trek to the top of the mountain where Carlos’s abuela lives. Will he be in time, and brave enough, to warn them about the soldiers? What will he do then? A novel in verse inspired by actual events during Guatemala’s civil war, Caminar is the moving story of a boy who loses nearly everything before discovering who he really is.

Available at: AmazonB&N, IndieBound


As for more about Skila, you can visit her at skilabrown.com where you can learn what her first job ever was, as well as something she's terrified of- so w/you on that first one, Skila! A great big congrats, and I hope you and Caminar celebrate w/some yummy cake today! =) 

62 comments:

  1. I love these pictures! I hope you sent this to Jean--I know she'd get a huge kick out of seeing a celebration inspired by her book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a spectacular birthday and two--oh boy! The cover is brilliant and the book sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, two! Time certainly flies, as all of us parents are so constantly amazed by. =)

      Delete
  3. Your kidlet is adorable. I can see why you love that picture of him eyeballing his birthday table (and book). It was a very clever idea on your part. The beauty of a 2-year old is that they don't really care about all of the fluff and they aren't overly excited about needing lots of gifts. If you give them ONE thing that they love, well that is a great birthday. There is a lesson in here for us... it isn't about quantity, but quality.... in all things.

    And that book sounds amazing. Congrats to Skila!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Robin. Good thoughts! And my plan is to always try and center his bday around a book. At least until he gets too old for it anyway. I don't think a sixteen-year-old wants me decorating a table themed around Curious George or anything, lol!

      Delete
  4. Your party looks fabulous! I could never even do that much, so you have my awe :) In fact, we didn't even throw the kiddo a second birthday party--hows that for being horrible parents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not horrible! They don't know at that age anyway. He was just excited to get to play w/his cousin- who did a better job at opening the presents than he did! =)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, I try. Some days are better than others...lol!

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday to the little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Boy.... And I thought you were cute, Leandra! Your boy is adorable.
    Here's to many more lovely birthdays. Make sure to documents them all as kids only remember theirs after age four-five or so. All the memories from earlier birthdays are the photographs we've taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Mirka! And I agree. Of course, I'm rather partial... ;) I'm actually really bad about taking pics(me and my husband prolly have barely a dozen together and we've been married 8 years) but I've been trying to be better w/the kidlet. I know I enjoyed looking at pics of me and my brothers when we were kids, so I want him to be able to do the same. Though I don't know about those embarrassing bath photos... =D

      Delete
  8. Your party decorations are gorgeous! Happy Birthday to your son! And congrats to Skila on her release! I used to be Hoosier (for 10 years), and us Hoosiers gotta stick together. Have a lovely week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once a Hoosier, always a Hoosier, right? =) And thanks!

      Delete
  9. The party looks like it was great fun, Leandra! Your little boy is adorable!!! Enjoy two--the time flies by so fast (mine are already 11 and I can't believe it!). Thanks for sharing about CAMINAR as well--it looks like a fabulous book! = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 11! I'm trying to enjoy every phase, even the terrible twos, lol! What can I say? He's perfected 'the flop'. ;)

      Delete
  10. Such cute photos, happy birthday to your little man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a happy boy! And a talented Mama!!! A happy birthday to your big boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, love the photos! Such a cute birthday theme! Your little guy is precious! Is he into everything yet? The moment mine turned two, he became CRAZY (in a good way!) :)

    I LOVE "Are You My Mother?" Such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Though if anyone knows anything about throwing amazing parties, it's you! =) And, yup, he definitely gets around. I don't even want to add up all the things he's broken so far. *sigh* Lol!

      Delete
  13. This is SO fantastic. And it's such a great picture book, too! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is one CUTE birthday party theme. :) Well done! Happy birthday to the little kidster!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to the shout out for Benny! We just blew out his candles. And your party display looks amazing. I am totally adding Caminar to my Goodreads shelf. I have a special place in my heart for Guatemala. (Anyone looking to donate to a wonderful charity that supports Guatemalan families should check out Mayan Families.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Benny! I'm amazed that Griffin blew out his candle on his own. He kept trying to grab it and I'd have to pull it back, but then he finally got the idea. Thanks for the heads up on Mayan Families.

      Delete
  16. Love that picture book - great idea to use it as a BDay party theme!! You're so creative. Everything looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth! I'm happy w/how it turned out- it might not be as amazing as some of the ones I see on Pinterest, but it's the thought that counts, right! =D

      Delete
  17. I'm sure your son enjoyed his birthday. You've been so busy. I don't know how you find the time to write, Leandra. The festive pictures are great - I could have eaten one of those banana cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding time can be a challenge, but we all do it! Thank goodness little amounts of time still add up to getting it done- eventually... And I would have given you one, Fanny! ;)

      Delete
  18. I love Are You My Mother! And chocolate chip banana cupcakes? Never had one but I love chocolate chip banana muffins, so I'm sure I'd love the cupcakes too. Yum. Happy birthday to your little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, b/c cupcakes are essentially just muffins w/icing on top, right? ;) And thanks!

      Delete
  19. Aw, Happy Birthday to your little guy! He looks like such a sweetie - and I love the pics of the party! And chocolate chip banana? YUMMM....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are some awesome looking cup cakes. I bet he had lots of fun. It was about that age that my daughter discovered that "hey, all of these presents are for me?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then they decide that every present they see must be opened by them and them only? =D Lol!

      Delete
  21. What a cute boy! You're making me feel bad. I'm hosting a birthday party for my almost 9 year old daughter this Saturday, and I haven't done anything to decorate. Yeah, I've got the nail polish and rind stones for pedicures, and I've got candy and a pinata. Heck, I've even got giveaway prizes, but decorations? This mama needs some serious help. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nail polish, rhinestones, and a pinata? Sounds like you've got it going in the right direction to me. =) Hope you guys all have a blast!

      Delete
  22. What a cute idea! And what an adorable little fellow! Thanks for the heads-up on Skila!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awww...such a cute baby! Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love being able to share w/everyone. =)

      Delete
  24. Your decorations and everything look amazing! And your son is so seriously cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a cutey! Your son's ears are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, thanks! I love how they stick out just enough to be cute, but not so much that he'll have to suffer teasing at school. =D

      Delete
  26. How cool are those cupcakes. I love them!!! And the kidlet is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! You should have seen the pic of him holding his cupcake w/the #2 candle right after he blew it out- double adorableness, lol! ;)

      Delete
  27. Love the cupcake toppers and the way you integrated the colors from the book. What an adorable party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was super happy w/how well the balloons matched the blues of the book. And I just called JayC and asked for light and dark blue balloons and they couldn't have been a better match even if I'd went in and hand- picked them. Sometimes you get lucky! =)

      Delete
  28. Thanks for stopping by my blog :0) Love the cupcakes, I wish I'd thought to do that for my boys when they were younger. Also, we're listening to The Ghost of Tupelo Landing on audio cd right now and loving it :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet the audio is a real treat, w/all the Southern personalities getting to come to life! =)

      Delete
  29. love it...what a fun party! isn't it amazing how tricky icing cupcakes can be?! They make it look so easy on Food Network but when I try it's just one disaster after the next. And I LOVED "Are You My Mother?" such a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, recipes and DIY projects always look so much easier when someone else is doing it, lol! Then you get into up to your elbows and it's like- crap, I'm in trouble... =D

      Delete
  30. I was drawn in by those blue balloons right away. Happy birthday to the boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balloons are a party staple in my book. They're just so festive! Thanks, Marcia!

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!