Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Sunday Scene(aka I Need Volunteers)

Last year, I posted a scene that I had cut from my WIP. 

I really loved that scene- and still do- but it just wasn't going to work out w/the direction the story was going. But I didn't want it to wither away in a folder somewhere, and so I decided to share it(you can read it here). I've had a lot of fun times on this blog, but that was one of my highlights, letting you guys see that scene. It wasn't perfect, wasn't the best writing in the world, but it still made me happy.

And I think moments like those are important in this writing journey we're all on.
So I'm going to try a little experiment, called The Sunday Scene. Every Sunday, I'd like to post a scene from one of you. It can be a cut scene you're sad to see go, but it had to b/c it didn't advance your story line. It can be a scene from a current WIP that you just insanely love b/c it features lemon drops and you think lemon drops are the Grand Poohbah of the candy world. 
{Image courtesy of candy.com}
Or it can be a scene that contains the bestest and wittiest dialogue you have written and every time you read it, you snort pop out your nose(hope it wasn't Big Red, that stuff really burns).

{Image courtesy of facebook.com}

Anyone think this sounds fun? And I don't mean the snorting pop part... ;)
If so, then please email me at leandrawallaceatgmaildotcom. Put 'The Sunday Scene' in the subject line. In the body of the email(no attachments please) place your scene, which may be up to 500 words(I won't ax you if you go a little over). Also, in one paragraph, please describe why you like the scene so well: it reminds you of a special day w/your grandmother, the romance is some of the best you've ever written, it features pink plastic flamingos which you adore, etc. 
{Image courtesy of getflocked.com}
If you have a picture that goes well w/the scene, then please feel free to send that too(an attachment for that is perfectly fine). When I posted my cut scene which took place in a cafeteria, I found a pic of a stack of trays. If there's anything that screams 'cafeteria!' to me, it's those divided trays from my school days.

This will be on a first come, first serve basis. The first submission I receive will be scheduled for April 6th. Following that, each Sunday will feature a new scene in the order I receive them. I'm thinking this will be a spring/summer segment on the blog, if I have enough people who'd like to join in the fun, that is. 

And feel free to include your social media links in your email. We want to get to know you in a non-stalkerish way! =) 

Also, this is open to anyone, published or unpublished. And the purpose of this is not to receive critiques. It's just to celebrate that special feeling you get when you know you've created something that's dear to your heart, b/c of a memory, a special enjoyment of something, or even a triumph in your writing. Like finally nailing that pesky kissing scene. I don't think I'm EVER going to get those just right...  

45 comments:

  1. Love this idea, Leandra! I'll see if I can find something to offer....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow I LOVE this...and it came at the right time too because I'm currently doing another large revision and I've had to cut a lot of things i love...I'll start looking things over soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cutting things you love is the worst, isn't it? But just send it my way! =)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an interesting idea, I'll bear it in mind whilst I'm undertaking my next round of edits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cool. I have A-Z coming up, but after that I will see what I can send in. Can't wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! So I hope I get some. =) Thanks for your interest!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I'd love to do this! Now I just have to find a scene to use...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time to go through my "trash" folder in Scrivener I guess. :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And one person's 'trash' is another person's treasure, right? Lol!

      Delete
  7. Love the idea. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nas! It seems to be getting a pretty good reception so far.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth! If you have anything you'd like to share on The Sunday Scene, please do! Oh, I feel like some sort of professional, lol!

      Delete
  9. Fun idea! I write kind of strange, very thin and then I plump up later. I don't believe I've ever cut a single scene. I'll look forward to reading The Sunday Scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting how we all do it differently. But whatever gets it on the page and gets it done! =)

      Delete
  10. This is a great idea, Leandra! Love it!! I'll have to look through my stuff and see if I have a scene for you...Sounds fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to look at my WIP and other works right now. I'm sure I have something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! It's been awhile since I've gotten to read your stuff- and I always enjoy it!

      Delete
  12. I totally love all my scenes! Well that's what I feel I should be able to say as I created them all. Doesn't work like that though, does it? Some are easier to write, or funnier, or stay in our memories for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really fun! I'll be editing this month so I won't have a scene for you for a while, but I'll keep you in mind when I'm ready to draft again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so creative! And so inspiring! Thank you for bringing so many writers together and for creating such a motivating environment. I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna! That's so sweet of you to say! =)

      Delete
  15. What a fun idea! I'll be sure to check back for the Sunday Scene.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It does sound like a fun idea! I'm heading for my manuscript :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun! I've just learned I have to do a couple of public readings of my work...so I'm going to be combing my book for a good scene that stands by itself! Not an easy task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true! You could always include a brief intro as to what's happening, that would be perfectly okay. =)

      Delete
  18. Love this idea!

    The 5th is a Saturday, btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Leave it to me... Thanks for letting me know! =)

      Delete
  19. That is a great idea! I don't think I have any scenes to share. Mostly my scenes were cut and rewritten because the story went in a completely different direction. But I look forward to reading the submissions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And just know if a wily scene ever escapes you, you can always send it my way. =)

      Delete
  20. You're giving us a chance to post our murdered darlings??? Man, that's genius!! What writer could resist? LOL. I'm going to have to wait til A to Z is over, but in May I'll hunt through my cut scenes and submit one. Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outstanding, Liz! Looking forward to it!

      Delete
  21. What a fabulous idea! I'm gonna go see if I have anything (if you're not full already). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, ma'am, I am not! There's only been one submission so far, so the field is wide open. =)

      Delete
  22. Love this idea!!! I'm totally going to send something your way, though I'm not at home right now so I'll do it when I get back :) Can't wait to read what everyone has to say!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can't wait to get your scene, Meradeth! =)

      Delete
  23. Great idea, Leandra. Nothing is popping up in my head at the moment, but if it does, I'll let you know. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!