Saturday, April 19, 2014

Chain vs Independent

It's well known to my friends and family that I'm a Barnes & Noble girl. How could I not be- they have an ampersand in their name! It's my fav store to visit. Like any book lover, I can spend hours in the stacks, reading jacket flaps and first lines. Likewise in the kid's part, where there's picture books to salivate over and always just one more to add to the pile. {Look at those adorable trucks! Ooh, and is that a pb about talking crayons? Must have! And come here, Curious George, I can never say no to your face.}

I shell out the $25 every year to be a member. It more than pays for itself w/the automatic 10% off & free shipping that comes w/membership. Not to mention the tantalizing 15-20%  off coupons that arrive every so often in the inbox. And every parent should sign up for the B&N's kids club. It's free, and on the child's bday, they get a certificate for a free cupcake or cookie from the cafe. 

My local B&N, about forty mins away:

 
So the title of this post is Chain vs Independent. And where's the independent? It's...

Right here!



Viewpoint Books is located in Columbus, a city about 15 mins south of where I live. I try my best to get into VP every few months. I want to support them b/c it would be a tragedy if they were to ever go under. It's such a fun store and their kid's department is fantastic. That, and they have a used section in the back where I often score great titles. 


It took a bit of coaxing to get the kidlet past the stuffed dog. =)


The used books section. 


Free coffee, and pop and candy for a $1. 




Tyger, tyger, burning bright/ a dinosaur's about to give you a fright...




Have you guys seen these board books of the classics? I want all of them! 


How true is that saying on the tote hanging on the wall? 

And though Viewpoint is small, you can always count of them having the latest bestsellers out. Besides books, VP also has tons of games and puzzles and toys. Not to mention all kinds of fun kits. There was a kit for doing animations on your phone and computer, making cupcakes w/reusable silicone cupcake holders, and a kit to build a 2 foot shark, to name a few. 

Me and the kidlet really enjoyed our visit today and the the used section didn't disappoint. Best deals out of our used book haul(eight books total): a Bright & Early Board Book and a Kate DiCamillo for $1.25 each.


Hopefully I can buy a new book at a regular price the next visit, but the rest of this week's fun moolah is going toward candy and plastic Easter eggs! =) 

Right, so, back to the vs issue. For me, there isn't one. I love both my local chain and independent bookstore and hope that they both continue to do nothing but thrive. I feel lucky to have an indy bookstore that I can visit, as I know in this day and age they're becoming more and more rare. And having a chain bookstore close by is something I don't want to take for granted either. In the past two years, I've seen a Waldenbooks and a Borders close down in my surrounding area. 

So what about you all? Do you have a chain bookstore you often frequent? Or any charming local indies? Feel free to leave links in the comments if you'd like! I'm off to see if I can squeeze my latest books onto my bookshelves...

34 comments:

  1. I worry about the bookstores. (Actually, I worry about all small business, but this blog is about bookstores.) As we procure more and more things online, it is making more difficult for any business other than Walmart-like stores to stay in business. I wish that I saw a reverse in this trend, but I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I couldn't imagine being a small business owner in this day and age. Super stressful!

      Delete
  2. Viewpoint looks amazing. I think I would park my butt there with a laptop and write. Seems inspiring. We had an indie bookstore in town but it closed and the nearest bookstore is an hour away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks! =/ It is such a great little place tho. Writing in the back in the used section would be a neat thing to do- and the chairs spin! ;)

      Delete
  3. I must admit. I'm a big fan of Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, AND mom&pop bookstores with swivel chairs! I love both. But if it came down to only one surviving, I'd definitely chose the indie bookseller. Great post. It reminds me of the movie, "You Got Mail" with Meg Ryan. Loved that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great movie! I remember watching it and seeing a poster featuring a children's book that my father-in-law always used to read to my nephew. Something about a rabbit named Davy...

      Delete
  4. Right now Amazon and Abe are my favorites because between the two of them I can get almost everything I need and want, including weird and old oop books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, I've used both Amazon and B&N to hunt down old Marion Chesney books. I've slowly been collecting the ones like I used to check out from the library as a kid. They have these great pencil sketched artwork on the covers.

      Delete
  5. I am lucky to have both close by and I love them for different reasons. I'd hate to lose either--it would be such a loss!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Love them for different reasons.' Exactly Meradeth, you said it perfectly! =)

      Delete
  6. I have no issues at all with chain stores, unless they drive out the indies! It sounds like both are thriving near you, which is nothing but good, in every way. As long as both are doing well, I'd probably do exactly what you do, and go to both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like such a wonderful book store, can see why you love it. Sadly don't have a local book store where I live. Hopefully there will continue to be room for both outlets for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter loves B&N's, but the indie bookstore is clear downtown, which makes me less inclined to visit because of traffic and parking. I'd love to support them, but with my schedule, the commute makes me want to pull my hair out. We have a Bent Corners used book store not too far away, but the selection is a bit heavy on the romance and light on the children's books.

    We visit the library more often than not, which is just a couple blocks down the road. My daughter has her own library card, and she loves the selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traffic is something I detest too. I've found in my 'old age' that I just hate messing w/all the cars and ppl! =D And that's another thing I've found true as well, that the smaller used book stores have tons of paperback romances for sale. Which isn't something I read alot of!

      Delete
  9. I have always enjoyed visiting B&N too, Leandra--but I also am a huge fan of independent book sellers. There is a wonderful indie book store in Charlotte that is still going strong, despite the economy. I am hoping it is around for a LONG time to come! = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, an independent bookstore in Charlotte? I bet that is a nice one to visit!

      Delete
  10. There are definitely bookstores around my city that remind me a lot of Viewpoint books. In fact, the one I visited just this afternoon, Hicklebee's, is the small, independent bookstore where I got my first author autograph, Suzanne Collins!

    I just get absolutely giddy being in these quaint bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! Like Suzanne Collins of The Hunger Games? Lucky duck, you! =) And what a cute name, Hicklebee's.

      Delete
  11. I miss Borders. There was one right by my house and I'd sit there for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that stinks! =( Book stores are one of the best places to just relax and be. No one looks at you funny if you're sitting there w/your nose buried in a book, or tapping madly on your computer. I, of course, always assume it's just a novelist going to town. ;)

      Delete
  12. I have a BAM about 20 minutes from me. I have to drive about an hour to find a B&N. I used to have an independent about 45 minutes away that I loved, but it closed. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very familiar w/BAM, the first one I ever visited was when w/went to Gatlinburg last summer. But I liked it! =)

      Delete
  13. There are a good 5 or so bookstores within a 40 minute drive of me, but I'm lame and live inside my house--too busy writing or teaching. I really need to get out more--especially to book stores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal is to make it to one bookstore or library a month, to hopefully foster the kidlet's love of both. =)

      Delete
  14. Love it!
    There's a B&N right in our neighborhood. The indie bookstores are farther away. I always love the kids sections the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! So bright and playful.

      Delete
  15. Independent bookstores are just so charming. I love Barnes & Noble, but one thing I've noticed is that many independents have outstanding children's sections. They're so fun! You don't see that kind of charm at B&N. I even was in one not long ago that had an ice cream shop in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! Ice cream and books? Doesn't get any better than that. =)

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Yes, it is! My fav is the used book part, w/that charming green painted table used for coffee. I wanna steal it, lol!

      Delete
  17. I'm ashamed to admit that my cheap gene has made me an Amazon girl. Between Amazon and the library I think I've only bought two books from an actual bookstore in the last few years. When we move back to the States I plan on finding some local stores to frequent, because like you, I want to foster a love for libraries and books in my kids. Oh, and those onesies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was waiting for someone to mention the onsies! =) They r super cute and I wish I'd seen them when the kidlet was small. It would have been good for an eye roll from my husband. ;) And nothing wrong w/a cheap gene, gotta do what ya gotta do to make ends meet!

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!