Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sweet Reads: Lemonade Pie Cookies and The Secret Hum of A Daisy

Once a month I'll be posting a dessert recipe and an excerpts from a book that's struck me just right, whether it be gorgeous descriptions, funny dialogue, swoon-worthy kisses, sarcastic come-backs, or spine-tingling encounters.

After a two month break, Sweet Reads is back. Yes! To having baked goods hanging around the house. No! To eating them all up by myself b/c my husband has an underdeveloped sweet tooth. *what is wrong with that guy?*


All I had to do was walk up to the coffin. That was all. I just had to get there and set the gardenia on the smooth brown wood. Grandma said gardenias were a proper funeral flower. As if there were such a thing. 

But my mind kept turning to daises.

So I was pretty sure I'd be reaching for the tissues w/this book. And I was right! Let me just say the ending of this book would squeeze a tear out even the most cantankerous ol' curmudgeon. 

Richard Peck blurbed the book saying that Hum was 'a lyric about love and loss.' And boy was this guy ever right(not that I would imagine Richard Peck would ever get it wrong...). Tracy Holczer's writing truly is lyrical and a treat to read. And the mc, Grace, is a personable, funny girl and that I liked alot:

As Miss Turner answered another phone call, I watched through the glass of Mr. Flinch's door and tried to read lips as best as I could. Banana charger in the pig sink wind. That was the best I came up with. I smiled at my own weird thoughts.

Now while Grace is sweet and sensitive to others, she's also going through the roughness of having just lost her mother and trying to make the transition of living with the grandmother she never knew. Needless to say, she makes a few... er...compulsive decisions, one that even lands her in some rather hot water.

I was tired of watching Sheriff Bergum huff and puff and mumble to himself about my ingratitude and general twelve-year-old nincompoopery as though I wasn't right there listening. 

There were also moments while reading along that would catch me out of nowhere and bring those tears to my eyes again. You know the saying it takes a village to raise a child? Well, it also takes a small town to help heal a grieving girl. 

She pointed to Mama's fountain. "Your grandmother tends to that fountain and her park like they were actual blood and bone family."

"So I've heard," I said. 

She looked at me, took the curve of my cheek in her hand. "We've been waiting for you."
    
For those of you that like birds, gardening, art, and horses, I say pick this up in a flash! And for the rest of you, still pick this up in a flash. Hum is beautifully written, with fun, tween awkwardness and the comfort of friendships old and new. You'll find yourself rooting for Grace as she struggles to find the right path to start her on her way to healing. For an entire description, visit Hum's Goodread's page.

Now... dessert dessert dessert!

Lemonade Cookie Pies

1 egg
Splash water
1 box Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
1 jar(10 oz) lemon curd
1/2 cup sugar

1. Heat oven to 350 F. Line cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper.

2. To make egg wash, in small bowl, beat egg with splash water until well blended. Set aside.

3. Unroll pie crusts. Spread lemon curd on 1 of the crusts, leaving 1/2 border around the edge. Place second crust on top. 

4. With 3-in. cookie cutter, cut out cookies by gently pressing down through both crust layers.

5. With handle of knife, press edges to seal; cut "x" in center of each cookie pie. Brush each cookie with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar. Place on cookie sheet.

6. Bake 12-15 mins or until light golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 mins, before serving. 

If you don't have a round cookie cutter, just use a jar lid(what I did). I'm kinda thinking, too, that these would translate well into s'mores pies, by spreading the crust w/marshmallow creme and squares of Hershey chocolate.  

Until next time, may your desserts and your reads be sweet!

50 comments:

  1. The book does sound lovely - and so do the cookies!!! And seriously, your husband doesn't like sweets??? I've heard people like that existed; I just never believed it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he does, but rarely, whereas I'm always down for a cookie or slice of cake. =) He likes ice cream, so when we go out on date nights, he's usually amendable to cup of some. But, yeah, ppl that don't like sweets at all? Weird... =)

      Delete
  2. How delicious that recipe sounds! I too try not to bake and then eat all the goodies myself... :( I try to make them for special occasions or when I know I'll have guests around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, I only make cupcakes when I know someone else will be around to eat them. Otherwise I could seriously eat a dozen cupcakes in one day, no prob!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely combo! My daughter would eat up both. Knowing Tracy from the BB, it is extra-extra special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So your daughter is another lemon fan? Awesomesauce. No one else in my family is, so I don't get to make lemon desserts often. And lemon is the best! Also, so is Tracy, she's super sweet. =)

      Delete
  4. A gorgeous book AND cookies, too? You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, thanks! I wasn't feeling the best after eating three cookies in a row though. ;)

      Delete
  5. Probably not my style of read, but my wife might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? Word of mouth, that's how books get out there and thrive! =D

      Delete
  6. I can't handle a tear-jerker right now but I'll keep this one in mind for another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that alot, where if I'm not in the mood for say, all-romance, I'll put it to the side until I'm feeling ready for all the hugs and kisses. ;)

      Delete
  7. What a cool idea to post book excerpts with a recipe! The prose in THE SECRET HUM OF A DAISY sounds lovely, and those lemon cookie tarts look so delicious! I love, love, love lemon curd and we just bought a little pastry pocket mold, so I might have to give these a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lemon sister! ;) Did you know that Pillsbury once had Lemon Cinnamon Rolls? I never got to try them, and now I can't find them anywhere. =( Ok, so that was random...*grin*

      Delete
  8. Underdeveloped sweet tooth! Oh, if only that were me. I wish, I wish, I wish!

    This book sounds lovely. That opening line? Sheesh. Wish I'd written that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'd weigh, oh, 20 lbs or less. =) And ditto on the first line!

      Delete
  9. This dessert recipe sounds nice and easy. Going to file it for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty easy. This was my first time working w/pie crust too. I'm not a big pie person, so I've never had cause to buy them before. B/c I'm certainly not going to make crust from scratch! *too lazy over here*

      Delete
  10. Wait, it's possible to have an underdeveloped sweet tooth? I really need that! Because now I'm seriously craving these cookies--they sound amazing! And also sounds like a really sweet read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I shouldn't change Sweet Reads to Suh-weet Reads. That's how I say it in my head, anyway. =D And I have the opposite problem- I have an overdeveloped suh-weet tooth... ;)

      Delete
  11. Poor you having to eat them al yourself! I'd be happy to help if there are any left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, you're too late, Patsy! You were too late like two hours after they were made, lol!

      Delete
  12. Great idea! All the fun of a real book club without the calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, real book club! I'd loved to belong to one of those one day. I even have a post about it, saved back for a rainy day. =)

      Delete
  13. I loved this book~ the cookies sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were good, though my only complaint is the lemon curd leaked out of a few of them. Guess I didn't get them sealed good enough!

      Delete
  14. Mmm, the cookies sound "delish" and the story does too! Grace sounds like an interesting character with a unique voice. Will have to put this book on my to-be-read list. Thanks for highlighting it!

    And you're right, what's wrong with your husband that he makes you eat all the dessert yourself! :) Totally kidding, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no! Blaming him sounds perfect. ;) Ha, ha! And I think you'll love Grace, she's a great character.

      Delete
  15. Mmm. I need to go to the store... Or get my teleportation device working again so I can pop in and relieve you of a few sweets. ;)

    The book sounds wonderful! But do I have enough tissues?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A small stack should do you. Or just use toilet paper like I do! =) And I dunno, but I think I can eat sweets faster than your teleportation device can whisk you around!

      Delete
  16. An underdeveloped sweet tooth? What on earth is that? I can't wait to read Secret Hum of a Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to imagine there's such a thing, right? =D

      Delete
  17. I remember seeing this announcement on the blue boards. Glad to see its out. Can't wait to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think it's almost out! Mine is an ARC. But lemme see...May 1st is when it'll be out. So soon! =)

      Delete
  18. Not my favorite genre, but your review has me interested. I liked Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl, is Hum like that one? I will put this on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I've not read Stargirl, though I love Jerry Spinelli. I'll have to add that to my reading list. =) If you try out Hum, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

      Delete
  19. The book (and the recipe!) sounds amazing, Leandra! Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've just put that book on my to-read shelf. Sounds like one I'd enjoy. And those cookie pies look great even though I'm not a fan of lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I like lemon in desserts, I never drink lemonade. Huh. =)

      Delete
  21. Hey Leandra,

    Yes, I know and oops, sorry for my absence from your delightful blog. Forgive me!

    That book is definitely something Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar would like to read.

    Lemonade cookie pies. I shall contact the Pillsbury dough boy. Sure he would help me with the recipe.

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend. I told you I was rather late in getting here :)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, he helped me w/this one too! ;) As always, it's good to see you & Penny!

      Delete
  22. Yummy. Those look great!
    Rick, your latest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely. Every bit of this post... The read, your impression, the recipe...wonderful all around.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was looking for a recipe to try this weekend sooo lemonade cookie pies it is! (I'm also excited to read the book but the cookies are top priority right now)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes dessert takes over my life too. =) If you do try them, my only advice is make sure you get the edges all crimped down- I had a few sort of bubble out all their lemony goodness. =(

      Delete
    2. I learned that the hard way too! I made something similar a couple of months ago but instead of lemon curd I used a mixture of apples, caramel, and cinnamon. Let's just say that I made a mess. D:

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!