Friday, June 20, 2014

If I Were In a Bookclub...

Image courtesy of hcpl.net

I love the thought of belonging to a book club. Meeting once a month and talking books face to face, over perhaps a yummy dip, followed by a mini cupcake, just sounds delightful. But the reality is, it'd be so hard to find a spare moment between working full-time/taking care of the kidlet/housework/writing to attend a book club.

But that doesn't stop me from dreaming about the imaginary book club I'd like to attend...

Book club name: The Perpetual Page-Turners. Of course, in keeping w/democracy, all the members would be able to submit a name and we'd vote on it, but I think this is a pretty good one. And... I might have...kind have... okay, yes, I completely stole it from this terrific book reviewing site. But I'm an HONEST thief, so that makes it okay, right?

Location: This is the side entrance to my local library, where the meeting rooms are located. Perfect place, dontcha think?


Food: I'm thinking appetizers and desserts, nice & simple. Like this Spinach & Herb Dip:




I love Tastefully Simple's dip mixes. They're quick & delicious, a combo that can't be beat. I'd bring it w/some chips, or if I was feeling fancy, I'd buy King's Hawaiian Round Bread and serve it like it is to the left. Mmmm....





{This dip is so easy-- it just requires mayo & sour cream. I'm also telling you this b/c having a big blank spot was driving me nuts.}

As for dessert, it'd prolly be store-bought bakery cookies or cupcakes. Eventually! B/c for my first book
club meeting I'd totally bring this Philadelphia white chocolate cream cheese dip. 


If you haven't tried their line of dips yet{in white, milk, & dark chocolate, as well as carmel and cinnamon}then omg! Remedy that immediately. I can wipe out half a tub of the white choc in one sitting w/a bag of pretzels. The sweet and salty together...*mouth is watering* Yanno, for this being a book club post, I'm sure talking about food alot... So on to other things!



Outfit: I know, I'm such a giii-rrrl. But I don't buy many clothes on a regular day-to-day basis, so when something special comes up I like to try and buy a new top or scarf. Or shoes! Just wearing something I've never worn before always makes an occasion more special, somehow.

And you never know, all this book club planning could turn into something. Maybe a year from now I'll be sitting around talking books w/my very own book club. So what about you, dear readers? Do any of you belong to a book club? I'd love to hear about it if you do! 

Image courtesy of blog.cseditorial.com 

36 comments:

  1. Hmmm. There are a couple book clubs in my area. Maybe I should join one after I am officially retired from teaching ... ('Cause I'll have tons of time then, right?) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! Though I'm sure something will step into that void- maybe even more books... =D

      Delete
  2. Where do I sign to join your club?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! Consider yourself an official member of my unofficial club. ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm with Patsy! I've always fancied the idea too, don't think there are any round me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you're a member too! =) There's one in a city about half an hour away from me, but even thirty mins is too far sometimes, when you're talking getting off of work and babysitters. Also, from what I've seen posted online, their reading tastes and mine do not mesh at all! =)

      Delete
  4. I love your idea for a book club! However, I noticed you spent more time talking about the refreshments than possible members or books! lol Whenever I go out with friends, the first thing I think about is where we're going to eat! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, I am all about the food! It's just so...delicious, lol!

      Delete
  5. I like your imaginary book club. also I like the dip and cup cake idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have decided to join in! those shoes are perfect. I'll wear my beige Lauren Conrad flats because they just scream "book club meeting!" I have never had this white chocolate dip you speak of but I'll have to change that soon. sweet/salty is my fav combo ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright, the more the merrier! And ooh, those shoes sound great. Do try it, it's absolutely addictive!

      Delete
  7. I love your book club - the name is awesome - I would love to join too! :)

    I love breadbowls with dip - those are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And another member, whoo! This is the best book club ever. ;)

      Delete
  8. Ah, I'm not a member of a book club. I'd love to be a member of your book club if it came to fruition. Just be careful you don't drip your dip on the pages. Might make turning them a mighty sticky proposition.

    Y'all have a nice weekend.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're our first guy member, Gary! And I am the worst about dripping things on pages. Ketchup was my last offense, lol!

      Delete
  9. No, I don't have a book club but it would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in a real life book club and our meetings are at a restaurant. We talk about the book for 5 minutes and bs the rest of the time. It. is. awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I love Tastefully Simple dips.

      Delete
    2. At first I was like- whaaa...? She never told me that. And then I think I do remember you mentioning it once. =) It does sound awesome, totally jealous! And I could spend gobs of money on Tastefully Simple. Gobs.

      Delete
  11. After years of talking about it--we finally started a book club, it is fun and engaging. We named it 'The Novel Teas' Since everyone is so busy we meet every 2 months with food and beverage. After enjoying casual talk we discuss the book, likes and dislikes and it's entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your name, it's so fun! Every 2 months sound good, and I'm sure it still comes up quick. Plus it gives everyone plenty of time to read the book too. Thanks for sharing! =)

      Delete
  12. Oh, man, you are making me miss my critters from WA. But I am building my tribe in SC one by one! Books are involved. As is writing. Tea and tasty treats :) I love the name Novel Teas from Catherina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that you call it your tribe- it really sorta is, isn't it? =) Friends and tasty treats, life doesn't get much better than that!

      Delete
  13. I'm kind of in a book club, but I've only been to one meeting and I'm not very good about reading the books on time. I'm usually reading a different book but I buy the book hoping to add it to the pile on my nightstand. There's never enough time! But I do love your food ideas, especially the Hawaiian bread with spinach dip...Yum. That is good stuff!

    Oh, and the shoes are adorable! LOVE shoes like that! I have some hot pink ones very similar that I love wearing when I want to add some color to my outfit. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Leandra! That was my comment above but I didn't realize I was signed in under my husband's google account (which apparently he shares with his dad and brothers?) Weird. :)

      Delete
    2. That's too funny! When I saw the new comment notification in my inbox, my first thought was- who are all these guys? Lol! And yes to there never being enough time, and yes to pink shoes!

      Delete
  14. Haha such a fun post, sounds like an awesome club. Consider me signed up! P.s Love your outfit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute. The shoes and food made me think of a friend, who is part of a book club.

    I don't know how well I'd fare in a book club. My stubborn streak rears its head whenever the term required comes before reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, 'required' does bring back some memories of dreaded school reading!

      Delete
  16. I belong to a fab book club!! It's part of the FYA national bookclub and mine is in Pittsburgh. Before I found those girls I felt kind of lost. I had NO ONE to talk to face to face about YA. And we do the funnest things together that I couldn't imagine not being in it!! I love how you said that you feel special wearing something that's never been worn before! I am SO like that!! It's the main reason why I'm drowning in clothes. I always feel better in a new outfit. I hope (when you have more free time) you end up finding a bookclub as awesome as mine!! And yes DIP is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your book club sounds wonderful! Online is great, but face to face is hard to beat. And dip for the win! ;)

      Delete
  17. I love your imaginary book club has a name! I belong to a book club. We are very good at the eating part--we either meet for coffee, dessert, or frozen yogurt (summertime). When I actually read the book for the month (doesn't always happen), I love that it pushes me out of my reading comfort zone a bit. It focuses me to read books for adults.
    I've always dreamed of belonging to one that just focuses on kidlit. But chocolate or food tied to the book would have to be involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, a book club just for YA/MG would be awesome! Though I definitely need to be pushed from my comfort zone at times too. I like to stay in my box quite a lot! ;)

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!