Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Virtual Book Launch: Rest Haven Cemetery

It's my CP, Kimberly G. Giarratano's big debut day for GRUNGE GODS & GRAVEYARDS! We're having a virtual book launch party, with posts throughout the day on our blogs. We're so happy you stopped by!

I have a pretty rockin' local cemetery. I know, that's weird to say, but it's true. It's surrounded by a lovely brick and iron fence and has the most gorgeous roses lining the front entrance in summer. Back before the kidlet was born and I knew what exercise was, I used to go there to run. There are black topped paths all over the place, making it easy for people to easily visit their loved ones' resting places. They also have these really quaint signposts(yes, my cemetery has 'street' names) that I adore. Now that I've given you an intro, I'll stop rambling and show you some pics, yes? 
 











There's a story behind this pic. Apparently, this statue is never without flowers in her hands. They change periodically, and no one knows who does it. Perhaps a relative back from the early 1900's that was charged w/keeping Minnie's memory alive? Whoever it is, I'm glad Minnie hasn't been forgotten.


 
Now, the next few pics are from a graveyard about ten minutes from my house out in the country. I couldn't resist displaying some shots(taken late winter) from there too, as I've found that when I'm really upset about something, this is my go-to place. There's something calming to me about that old iron fence and the very old graves. 
 









I don't know if someone coaxed this vine to grow up and around the bird like a nest, or if it did it on its own--but I think it's lovely and haunting.





Bell in the church steeple.

  
And to see the Old Tennent Cemetery stop by Kimberly's blog!
 
a Rafflecopter giveaway
 

12 comments:

  1. You have the best cemeteries I've ever seen. I love the statue of Minnie and the vine growing around the birds nest. I'm inspired to pen a new short story about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome- you know I'll want to read it! =D And the second cemetery(not even sure of the name) reminds me of the cemetery in the opening of The Raven Boys, for some reason. Even tho the church isn't old and abandoned. But there's a ton of history there, for sure!

      Delete
  2. I love to look at old cemeteries. The statue of the little girl is so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I always think of how devastated her parents must have been though. =( I can't even imagine.

      Delete
  3. That little girl statue is creepy in a really Uncanny Valley sort of way. She's just realistic enough to look almost-real, but just unrealistic enough to not *really* be real. The story of the flowers makes the whole thing even creepier!

    Also, canon around a tombstone? That seems a little grandiose, no? Was the person buried there a local war hero or such?

    Thanks for sharing these pictures. And happy book birthday to Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the canons are for a war memorial, though I'm not sure which one... You can see a bit of the pole for the American flag in the pic. In retrospect, I think I should have taken it long wise! =)

      Delete
  4. Very cool pictures. I've always found cemeteries interesting. Congratulations to your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of sign posts - Not sure if a lot of them do that, but it's cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if a lot do or not either, but it's definitely got an old-timey feel that I love!

      Delete
  6. I'll admit I started giggling when you called it a rockin' cemetery, and talked about the brick (and iron) fence, and showed pictures of head stones...

    I read in a Jim Butcher book the line that fences weren't to keep the living out, they were to keep the dead in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that line! Tho it's very creepy... ;)

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!