Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Guest Post: Vanessa Barger

Today we've got a special treat on the blog: Vanessa Barger, author of A WHISPERED DARKNESS, will be showing us who she imagines playing some of her characters. And as a baker, she's also pairing them w/desserts! Take it away, ma'am!

* * *

Hello!

This was such a cool guest blog idea! Thanks Leandra for having me and for coming up with something so fun!

I’m thrilled to be able to give you my dream casting for A WHISPERED DARKNESS. But unlike the other casting posts you’ve seen, Leandra also told me to tell you what dessert would be matched to each character. So I’ve got a really fun post for you!

I love to bake, so if you click the link, it’ll take you to a recipe for the dessert associated with each character!



Claire - Stephanie Honoré

She looks just like I pictured Claire. ☺ As Claire enjoys the sweet stuff, but not too sweet, her dessert would be a Victoria Sponge. (And if you’ve never tried one, they’re DELICIOUS!)

  


Haven - Alex Pettyfer
When I first thought of Haven, this is who I “cast” him with in my head. Haven isn’t as fond of sweets, so for him, his perfect dessert would be an apple crisp.
  

Bryan -Chris Sheffield

He’d have to have dark hair of course, but he seems like he could go between adorable and scary pretty well. ☺ Bryan’s dessert would be something dark and decadent – a German Chocolate Cake, for instance.

  

Mrs. Mallory – Patricia Clarkson

She can be serious or silly, but I think she’d be the perfect actress to play Mrs. Mallory, with her decent into possession and becoming someone else. Since in the book she’s not quite herself, I’ll give you a dessert she might have liked while possessed by a Victorian – Shortbread cookies dipped in chocolate!

 

Grant – Thomas Brodie-Sangster

Come on, who wouldn’t want this for a little brother? He’s still a kid at heart, so he likes the sweet stuff, but he likes to almost be a grown up. He’s a fan of Panna Cotta with Strawberry Syrup. Think grown up jello and deliciousness.
 
  

Melanie – Jenna Coleman

Now you have to imagine her “gothed” up, but she can definitely do the attitude that goes with Melanie. Her dessert would be something weird and different, but not really too different. Cookie butter! (Never heard of it? You HAVE to try it.)


  

* * *

Cookie butter? COOKIE butter? Cookie BUTTER? How have I not heard of this?! I instantly ran to Google, folks, and it is a real thing:

Image courtesy of college.biggirlssmallkitchen.com

Thanks, Vanessa, I am ever indebted to you(because cookie butter). And thanks for a fantastic post, it was a pleasure to learn a bit about your characters. As well as getting my taste buds all hyped up! =D 

Amazon | B&N | IndieBound
When Claire Mallory's father leaves, her mom moves them to a new town and into a dilapidated Victorian house. The old house creaks and whistles, and smells . . . well, like it's been abandoned for years. But as the nights grow longer and the shadows take on substance, Claire wonders if the strange sounds and occurrences might be more than the house showing its age. Just as things start to pick up in Claire's love life, her mother becomes possessed. 
In an attempt to save her mother and their new home, Claire enlists the help of two boys, each of whom is interested in Claire for very different reasons. As she chooses one boy over the other, something dangerous is unleashed, and the spirits make their move. They aren’t content to moan and scream inside Claire’s house, or even control her mom. They want a taste of freedom, and they'll use Claire to get it. But is Claire strong enough to fight off the evil spirits, or will they claim her and her mom before it's all over?



Vanessa Barger was born in West Virginia, and through several moves ended up spending the majority of her life in Virginia Beach, Virginia. She is a graduate of George Mason University and Old Dominion University, and has degrees in Graphic Design, a minor in Medieval and Renaissance Literature, and a Masters in Technology Education. She has had articles published in Altered Arts Magazine, has had some artwork displayed in galleries in Ohio and online, and currently teaches engineering, practical physics, drafting and other technological things to high school students in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. She is a member of the SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) and the Virginia Writer's Club. When not writing or teaching, she’s a bookaholic, movie fanatic, and loves to travel. She has one cat, who believes Vanessa lives only to open cat food cans, and can often be found baking when she should be editing.

41 comments:

  1. Yummy post, indeed. I read it right after reading about flossing as a metaphor for editing one's manuscripts, and after I've done gobbling yours, I may have to go back to flossing... Kidding.
    Dream casts and creamy tarts go well together, Leandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that post you were talking about, haven't read it yet, but plan on it! And you should never kid about flossing after eating, that's some serious stuff right there... ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for having me! And I loved writing this blog post. But now I might need to get some oreos on the way home and make some more cookie butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think after this one we'll all be reaching for the sweet stuff, ha! And you're very welcome, I loved it. =)

      Delete
  3. This was a fun post idea :) And now I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. um so now that I'm officially craving every single dessert shown here, I am going to go down to the kitchen and have a cookie. Or six. great, fun post! You're talented Vanessa--I like to cook and wish I could bake. I've messed up quite a few times though. The worst was when the batter dripped down into the oven and caught fire, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never. Never stop at one cookie. You'll be disbanded from the club if you do. ;) And scorched cake batter- bet that smelled terrific!

      Delete
  5. I don't know what's more delicious -- the baked good or the men. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, depends what mood I'm in. (yeah, right, baked goods all the way!)

      Delete
  6. This may quite possibly be my favourite guest post ever. I LOVE authors "casting" their characters, and pairing them with desserts? Brilliant!!!! And this is why you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I am *so* going to the store tomorrow. I must try this cookie butter! This is such a wonderfully creative post and I can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not very often that such amazing new creations get past me when it comes to dessert- but this one did! Cookie butter. What in the world will be next? Cake milk? =D

      Delete
    2. Oooh, Cake Milk. You should totally market that. It would be awesome :)

      Delete
  8. Mmmmm. You got with with all the food shots. I will have to hold myself back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have all the desserts please, except maybe the cookie butter. Oh heck, I might as well give that a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG...cookie butter is so fabulous, and dangerous! Do try the cookie butter.

    Yummy characters and yummy desserts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well you succeeded in making me very hungry. Now I'm going to be craving all night. *sigh* Loved this. Great cast and delicious sides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been craving sweets for days now. I think it's seeing all sorts of delicious pumpkin recipes popping up around the 'net!

      Delete
  12. Fun post--the desserts look delicious. And congrats to Vanessa on her new book with the beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, what a yummy post! The story sounds intriguing and the cover is so eye-catching, too. Very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good thing I ate already. Still...I think I need to find that stash of chocolate now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Stash of chocolate'. Lovely, lovely words. ;)

      Delete
  15. That was so much fun! And cookie butter. Wow. I've got to find out where to get some. Congrats to Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! I'm not sure if regular ol' grocery stores would carry it or not? Though I'm sure homemade is better!

      Delete
  16. Love your cast...especially the apple crisp *swoons*. Good luck with your book, Vanessa!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great cast picks Vanessa! And your book sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So fun to pair casting choices with desserts! That apple crisp looks great. And Cookie Butter is something I'll have to look into.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great desserts:) Fun post :) Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, all the yumminess in this post! I'm craving some shortbread dipped in chocolate now. Oh, and some apple crisp. Oh, and German chocolate cake, minus the cake - I mostly like the frosting on that one. :)

    The book sounds tense and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? And I think the cookies were my fav too, I love shortbread.

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!