Friday, October 31, 2014

Author Stop: Marcia Strykowski


1. If you could take your mc, Amy, out for a fun girl's day, what would you do?

Although Amy loves where she lives in Maine, she hasn’t experienced many other places, so I think I’d like to show her around a big city. We’ll zip down the coast to Massachusetts and start out at Quincy Market in Boston. She can pick out treats and see the sights. Then, we’ll wander over to the New England Aquarium and watch the harbor seals playing outside in their 42,000 gallon exhibit, which I’m sure will remind Amy of her favorite seal: Pup.

Next, we’ll walk over to check out the boats in the harbor, so she can compare it to her own tiny harbor back home. Then, we’ll track back and hop on a subway. We’ll have to skip the beautiful gardens because we’ll be on our way to the Museum of Fine Arts. In Amy’s Choice, Amy meets the artist, Finn. She loves to watch him work and is a big fan of his finished paintings. So, if I really could take Amy on a girl’s day out, I think she’d appreciate the massive MFA with its multitudes of gorgeous collections.

2. When you complete a book, do you set it aside for some breathing time, or start tinkering w/revisions right away?

It depends on what else is going on, but I definitely feel it’s good to put work aside for a while and then revisit it with fresh eyes. Sometimes I do this purposely and other times I do it as a means of procrastination. I do love to revise though and find it much easier than forcing that first draft out.

3. You grew up visiting Maine, where AMY'S CHOICE takes place. I've never been (it's on the bucket list!). For the yummiest seafood, where should I head?

Okay, you’ve found me out… I’m not a huge fan of ordering seafood, but believe me there are a ton of great places up and down the coast of Maine. If you’re way up north near Acadia National Park, then the Travelin Lobster or Stewman’s Lobster Pound in Bar Harbor are both highly rated. If you end up many miles south of those, Hurricane Restaurant in Kennebunkport, Maine might be a good stop.

4. Instead of a fav color, tell us one of your fav sounds:

To stick with the Maine theme, I’ll choose ocean waves crashing on a beach with seagulls screeching overhead. And if a lighthouse foghorn blows at the same time? Perfect!

5. What is a fav line(s) from AC?

Rather than trying to remember earlier lines, I’ll share one of the last ones I wrote: Snow continued to fall silently outside the window. I pictured it piling up on pine boughs, drifting onto boats, and coating buoys—gently frosting the whole port in a safe layer of white.

* * * 

Beautiful! A 'safe layer of white' is such a perfect way to describe snow. And speaking of perfect, we have not one but TWO giveaways today. Besides the $5 Amazon gift card, one lucky commenter will also have the chance to win a copy of AMY'S CHOICE, courtesy of Marcia! As always, simply follow Marcia at one or more of her social media links. Winners will be announced via comments and Twitter on 11/3.


Marcia Strykowski works at a public library. Along with assisting patrons at the front desk, she handles all the new purchases and installs them into the online catalog. Earlier, between earning her BS in Fine Arts and raising her children, she worked for seven years in textbook publishing. Marcia participates in writing groups and enjoys family, art, music, travel, and theater. She is a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.

After numerous magazine and anthology contributions, CALL ME AMY is Marcia’s first novel. It is for readers aged 8 & up and is published by Luminis Books, 2013. AMY’S CHOICE, a companion book to CALL ME AMY will be published in fall 2014.



Amy Henderson’s freshman year starts with a new best friend, Cat, and a newfound confidence. But she misses her crush, Craig, who has gone to live with his aunt in Boston. Craig has promised to write, and Amy checks the mail on a daily basis, but to no avail. There are plenty of distractions, however. Cat’s brother, Ricky, seems interested in Amy, but is she interested in him? And a new friendship with Finn, the lighthouse keeper, who Amy discovers is a talented artist, keeps Amy and Cat busy as they arrange for him to exhibit his work. But things get complicated when Craig returns from Boston and Finn is accused of arson. There are more questions than answers for Amy as life becomes as turbulent as the cold and stormy ocean of her coastal Maine town. Ideal for preteens, this novel is the sequel to the critically acclaimed Call Me Amy and touches upon issues of friendship, boyfriend troubles, and the power of believing in oneself.



Congrats, Marcia, on another wonderful book!

20 comments:

  1. Mm. I love the image of blanketing snow. Seriously. That's one of my happy places.

    Unleashing the Dreamworld

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting Marcia Strykowski, Leandra. She and her books are a class act.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview!!! I also find setting a book aside for a while before diving into revisions really helps. Usually I move on and work on something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really interesting. Congrats on your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun interview! I love the asking about the sounds--there isn't much better than the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you. I need to put a book away for a while before revising. I hate when a deadline forces me to jump right into revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great story! I was so used to east coast, southern beaches, I never really knew why they had fog horns. Then we went to Rhode Island for a visit and I finally understood. That fog can roll in fast and thick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for hosting me on your blog, Leandra, and for all you do to help promote other authors. Also, thanks to everyone for your awesome comments. I've got a party going on now over at my own blog and there are more prizes involved :) … www.marciastrykowski.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to Marcia!!! I love the cover! Leandra, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Marcia! Good luck on your book release of Amy's Choice! I so enjoyed reading Call Me Amy! I will be ordering your new book for my grandchildren and for myself too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to Marcia! I love her tips for places to eat in Maine. My family and I are thinking of taking a trip to Acadia National Park next summer, so those recommendations will come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to Marcia, I hope she gets lots and lots of sales :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck to you Marcia and Amy's choice! Its a good idea to step back from time to time especially during those revisions. A fresh perspective is so important during this stage of writing..

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a perfect line! and that cover!! gorgeous. congrats to Marcia!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to Marcia! I've been to Maine once and loved it. I want to go again some day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you everyone for supporting Marcia and her newest book! As for the goodies, Miranda Hardy is the winner of the gift card and Elizabeth Seckman is the winner of Amy's Choice. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the snippet Marcia shared (such beautiful descriptions) and her favourite sound is also my favourite. Sorry I missed the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!