Monday, November 17, 2014

Daniel Kenney & The Beef Jerky Gang



Thanks, Leandra, for hosting me on your blog today. In addition to being a writer, I am a stay-at-home dad of eight children. Eight children living together in a fairly modest split entry house brings with it a certain amount of craziness. One that I'm especially looking forward to as winter just descended upon Omaha, where we live. It brings to mind a particularly fun week last winter.

It started on a Monday morning, when I awoke to a crash and the sound of screaming from the kitchen. I stumbled into the kitchen to see purple stuff everywhere. You really can't appreciate just how far jelly can spread when a baseball is thrown at a Smuckers jar. After spending the rest of the morning finding little specks of glass and jelly throughout my house, I thought and hoped that was the most interesting part of my week. It was not. 

The next day was a particularly windy and cold day here in the cradle of civilization. And sometime in the afternoon my son ran off the stairs to tell me that my other son had broken a window. I walked downstairs to investigate. Apparently, my son had slammed the door leading from the basement to the backyard and the wind had helped him out so much, the glass above the door had shattered. A mess to be sure, but one I could handle. 

I walked back upstairs to grab a broom when my front door opened. My nephew was there with presents for my son Daniel's birthday. I thanked him and took the presents upstairs. That's when we encountered Rachel. Ahhh Rachel, what can I say. She is a very special person. She is 5 years old, beautiful, big, and....well, a little high strung and hot tempered. When she saw the presents, here eyes about popped out of her head. "Are those for me?" she asked. "No," I answered. "These are for Daniel, for his birthday." To which she responded, "What!!!!!". Then she screamed, stomped her feet and charged into the living room where she angrily kicked one of her cowboy boots off her foot and....wouldn't you know....right through the living room window. Just shattered it. 

Two windows broken within 5 minutes in two completely different ways. A new record for my little family and one I hope will last just a bit. So you see, my life and my family are a bit crazy. I write Middle Grade to give my brain an outlet...but I draw on their craziness to help me out. The Beef Jerky Gang is a bit silly, funny, and crazy. A lot like me and my family.


Amazon
When Peter Mills descends into the creepy basement of Finley Junior High, he discovers a dark and twisted truth: girls haven’t always ruled the world.

Now armed with a book of ancient, forbidden man secrets (such as how to make paper airplanes, stink bombs, and beef jerky), Peter and his friends think they’ve found the recipe to changing their lives. But the boys of the Beef Jerky Gang will soon find out that the girls aren’t about to give up control to a bunch of prank-pulling punks.

Join Peter and his friends in this hilarious first book of the Beef Jerky Gang series.

* * * 

I don't know about you all, but a stay at home dad to eight kids and a writer to boot? When does he find the time?! And I love the premise of  THE BEEF JERKY GANG, with girls ruling the world-- I could get into that! ;) Though I am a fan of beef jerky. This girl wouldn't have banned that! 

Also, THE BEEF JERKY GANG is currently a steal at only .99 cents!  


13 comments:

  1. I'm in awe of Daniel right now. Eight kids and you still find time to write? That's just incredible! Best of luck to you, Daniel. Your books sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Just wow. Daniel sounds like he could really use a break :) Well, just maybe not of the window variety! Best of luck to him on his book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, that's a lot of broken windows! If that happened to me, I'd probably give up for the day, and I only have one kiddo! Don't know how he finds the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness that's a lot of broken glass! I wish you well with your writing and your kids, Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have plenty of real life adventures to draw from - no need to make any up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody for the kind words! You are all welcome to come watch my kids any time you want me to get more writing in. But honestly, all of us are busy. No matter single, married, kids or not. We are all busy. Finding time to write is always difficult. Yet, we find a way to write because we love it.The truth is, sometimes our family meals are terrible, and the house isn't clean and I sacrifice some time late at night. But that's okay. Writing gives me a little sanity through it all. Thanks again! Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are my personal hero right now. I only have one small child and I can barely keep up with him some days! Your book sounds like so much silly fun. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness - I second Christine! I hope you don't get anymore broken windows - ever!! Your book sounds fun and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking what Alex said. Eight kids with adventures like that will fuel your creative juices for a long time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. first off, your book sounds fantastic!! second, so I just got this kitten in august and she's amazing but nutso, and I get NOTHING DONE ANYMORE because she keeps me up and constantly gets into everything she shouldn't..and that's a little kitten. I am completely in awe of how you get ANYTHING done with eight kiddos!! amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! the book sounds interesting and his life...incredible with 8 kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can barely handle one CAT, let alone eights kids LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know how you do it, sir, but my hat's off to you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!