Thursday, November 6, 2014

Guest Post: Meradeth Houston & An Absence of Light

Today we've a guest post from the lovely and talented Meradeth Houston! *waves* Hey, Mer!

Thanks so much for hosting me today, Leandra! I swear you always have the best guest post ideas, and I was stoked to get to share in that today :) My recent release, An Absence of Light, was a whole lot of fun to write because it allowed me to "go home" while I wrote it. It's set in the central valley of California, in the town of Vacaville, which is close to where I grew up. I took a few small liberties with a couple of the places within the town, and transplanted an auto shop or two, but otherwise I tried to keep the setting as true to life as possible.

An Absence of Light has always been Buffy meets the X-Files in my head, but basically deals with Leah being forced from her home by the Shadows--creepy creatures that breed evil and have left her running for her life.

(Source)
The city of Vacaville, which I have to admit is a pretty unfortunate name (look up the word for vaca in Spanish :), is about twenty minutes from where I grew up and has a whole lot of good stuff to check out.





(Source)










(Source)








Leah has a particular love for In-N-Out. (Okay, I'll admit it, that I can wager my California native card by admitting that I really don't like In-N-Out.)





Vacaville also has the best outlet mall ever. No, I'm not joking :) Just   ask  Leah. Lots of shopping, great deals, and NOT the place to ever go   on a Saturday. Or after dark if you're worried about shadows, like Laura often is.






(Source)


(Source)

















One of the places that I look a little license is the auto shop that Laura works at with her fellow Shadow hunter, Manuel. I actually modeled it after Master Tech, a little place in my hometown of Woodland, California. I used to have this car that was always breaking down and I spent a good amount of time there, getting the dang thing fixed. So when Laura walked into my head, loving cars and working for a man who runs a shop, well, this just fit perfectly!

The story doesn't just take place in Vacaville, and there's a few trips into Oakland, California, when the characters go Shadow hunting. Oakland is an interesting city, full of really cool spots, and a few that kind of frighten me from time to time. The latter are the perfect spot for hunting shadows:

(Source)
Creepy, right? Well, there's also the fog. It's one of those funny things that I remember with a lot of fondness from growing up. Even if it was a pain to drive in!

(Source)
Anyhow, that's part of the world of An Absence of Light. I hope you get a chance to check out Leah, Adam, and Manuel's escapades to fight off the Shadows!

Leah’s always seen the shadow creatures. She thought she was immune to their evil—until now.

She’s walked into a massacre, stolen a BMW, and is running from the law for a crime she didn’t commit. Nineteen-year-old Leah’s life just went from mildly abnormal to totally crazy at lightning speed. But no one will believe that the shadow creatures are framing her for the murder, because she’s the only one that can see them. At least that’s what she thought.

When Leah stumbled across a group who share her ability, she discovers they have something she doesn’t: a way to fight back. When the group offers to teach her how to kill the shadow creatures, Leah jumps at the chance. But something is brewing with the creatures. They’re tracking down the hunters like there’s no tomorrow. Leah suspects that maybe there won’t be, and it’s up to her to make sure tomorrow comes. Because she’ll do anything to stop the shadows, including risking her life—and the life of the one she loves—to keep the world from being lost to darkness forever.



Available here: Amazon


Meradeth's never been a big fan of talking about herself, but if you really want to know, here are some random tidbits about her:

>She's a Northern California girl. And now is braving the cold winters in Montana.
>When she's not writing, she's sequencing dead people's DNA. For fun!

>She’s also an anthropology professor and loves getting people interested in studying humans.
>If she could have a super-power, it would totally be flying. Which is a little strange, because she's terrified of heights.



Links:

Find Meradeth Houston online at: www.MeradethHouston.com

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Amazon, Goodreads, and of course her blog!

32 comments:

  1. Fun post and thanks for bringing this author to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pages away from the end of the book and really enjoying it. If I didn't have so many edits on my plate this week I would have finished already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Leandra! And Meradeth...Oakland? Vacaville? Are we neighbors?? I'm out in the Peninsula by Redwood City and Belmont! I'm so excited for Absence of Light, seriously. I can't wait to dive into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wish we were still neighbors! I miss the bay area something fierce!

      Delete
  4. Very cool post. The story is intriguing for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I wanted to read it as soon as I read the synopsis!

      Delete
  5. Cowville -- I don't know -- I think it has a certain ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, thanks for the translation! I meant to go look it up and then forgot about it. Cowville...too funny!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, interesting book, Meradeth! And I think that's so funny how you don't like In-N-Out. I lived in Vegas for a while and it's big there too. I don't think I've ever met someone who didn't like it, but it's kind of refreshing! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Yeah, it's just not my thing. I think I'd rather a Mexican place, or Thai, or Japanese...Okay, I kinda love food in general, but it's not my fav when it comes to burgers :)

      Delete
    2. I've never ate at an In-N-Out, but it sounds a lot like Jack In The Box, which we have around here. Though for me, nothing beats Steak 'n Shake! =)

      Delete
  7. Grats on the release, Meradeth!

    That fog looks magical. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kind of magical! Except while driving ;)

      Delete
  8. I love it! That fog is amazing. and i love that Leah loves In n Out. As a New Yorker I hear a lot about this...always wondered if it is as good as everyone says (granted I'm a vegetarian so I'll never find out, even if I get to Cali one day!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't be missing much. Okay, I'm biased, but still. Plenty of amazing vegetarian places out here though!

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness am I a space cadet!! Sorry I didn't get by here yesterday--wow, I feel terrible!! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no need to at all! Launching a book means you need to be in five places at once. Which is, you know, kind of impossible. ;)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a fantastic read! I wish we had an In n Out around here. Though we do have Sonic. I love their burgers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sonic for their slushies! I wish I had one close, too! :)

      Delete
  11. There's no compelling reason to whatsoever! Propelling a book implies you have to be in five spots immediately. Which is, you know, sort of outlandish

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!