Monday, November 10, 2014

SCBWI Autograph Luncheon

I've recently been to several fall writing events(if you missed seeing the others & are interested, they can be found here and here). My latest was the above titled event. It was held at a neat locale, a church's school. I love architecture and just buildings in general, so it's always a plus for me when the locations are also eye candy. 






There was a speaker on social media, then we had lunch. The sandwiches(and the orzo pasta I had as a side) were good, though as you can see, I am not a fan of tomatoes and never will be(now ketchup is different. Ketchup is my friend).




After another speaker, our regional director, Kristi Valiant, stepped down after four very successful years. There was a lovely speech and some thoughtful gifts. Plus, cake(!) that was delicious. I also got to catch up w/two of my friends that I had met this year at an earlier SCBWI event, Manju Howard & Sam Taylor. Enjoyed chatting w/you, ladies! 


Then there were books for sale that you could buy and have the author sign if you wished. I picked up LOVE AND OTHER UNKNOWN VARIABLES by Shannon Lee Alexander and WHAT CAN A CRANE PICK UP by Rebecca Kai Dotlich. I got to read some of Shannon's book as I was stuck in traffic for over an hour on the way home(so. frustrating.) and the voice is super great. And from what I've heard, I'm in for an emotional time w/this book. Meaning: it's of the best sort! 



Later that night in the car, the kidlet was 'reading' Rebecca's book.

{Kristi's on the end in the red}

So after the book buying/signing period, there was a panel of picture book authors and illustrators. It was really fascinating to hear Kristi talking about going over to Paris to meet Danielle Steele and her teacup chihuahua, Minnie. Kristi illustrated the story, and it looks completely adorable.
 


I do believe there was another panel for MG/YA writers a little later on, but I headed home a bit early to go get the kidlet. There's more to that story w/the horrendous, backed up traffic, and then getting lost, and maybe crying a little, but we'll just gloss over that like it never happened! ;)


So my rash of fall writing events is now done! I enjoyed them all and I'm happy there were so many in my area that I could enjoy. Hope everyone has a great start to the week!

31 comments:

  1. kidlet is so adorable! and this looks SO fun. :) I too like to pretend the negative parts of a day never happened--mental editing is the best! not sure if you watch Everybody Loves Raymond but he did a whole bit with mental editing and I always think of that, ha. How adorable is that Danielle Steele cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like something I need to start implementing! I was so exhausted when I got home that night. Normally it's a 45 min drive- it took me 2 1/2 hours!! I combated my fatigue and frustration w/a big ol' healthy meal at McDonalds. ;) And, yes, I just want to squeeze Minnie, she's so adorable.

      Delete
  2. Everyone I know is going to writing events. I'm jealous.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, normally, I'm the jealous one, too, but I lucked out this fall. =) I hope some come your way soon!

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a good time, despite the tomatoes. That is a really awesome place for an event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tomatoes, always trying to spoil the fun, heh. ;) And it was a very gorgeous church, so medieval feeling.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had fun (besides the traffic). And that there was cake :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cake, just one of the many beautiful words in the English language. =D

      Delete
  5. Super fun! (Except the traffic and getting lost. I HATE getting lost.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me, I don;t like mayonnaise on my sandwiches but tomatoes are fine. I have not been to a writers conference but its on my To Do List.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, now I love mayo! =) I hope you get to one soon, they're a lot of fun.

      Delete
  7. My boys would kill for What Can a Crane Pick Up! They love all truck books. I hope to attend a writers conference soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Griffin really enjoyed it. She has out another one about trains that looks so cute. And I can't wait for you to get to go to one, too!

      Delete
  8. Oh man, you are great at networking. There's an SCWBI event about a good 45 min. drive from me this week at the bookstore where I had my author event! Hope things are going well. I have to pick through your old posts to get the updates on your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, you know, I try. =) And as for an up-to-date update, I finished my revisions and got the full request sent off, should be done w/polishing up my short in just a few days, and then I'll be concentrating on a MG I'm really excited about.

      Delete
  9. So many fun events! Looks like a really cool place and a great meeting. (Also, tomatoes are gross! lol!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! They have this horrible, slimy acidic taste. *shudders* But I like salsa(as long as it's not too chunky), so go figure! =)

      Delete
  10. I have some awful travel stories when it comes to going to events and conferences. Why is that? It's like we have to pay for having a great time by sitting in traffic or ice storms (yeah, the ice storm was me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrr, ice! Yes, if I were an author going to an event, I think I would always leave super early to give me plenty of time. I can only imagine how spastic I'd be if I was late b/c of traffic. (I hope you were never late!)

      Delete
  11. This looked like a wonderful place full of atmosphere to have a writing event. Sounds like you had a rewarding time and picked up some good books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love local events like this. And the building is gorgeous. There's something about red doors that make me swoon. Love that your kidlet is enjoying the book you got--that's one of the great perks of being a writer. My kids get autographed copies when I go to things like these.
    I bet you're feeling inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red doors are awesome! Yes, I love that as he's older and he opens books at home, he could stumble across an autograph. Just makes books all the more exciting! =)

      Delete
  13. Glad you had a great time:) The cover is adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been to a conference before but I'm definitely planning on doing so.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a lot of fun, and I recommend everyone go to at least one. Though they're sorta like potato chips... ;)

      Delete
  15. Sounds like it was a wonderful event! And, I love building architecture, too--the picture of that door, absolutely lovely! I wish we had more writer conferences and such in my area--although, I'm such an introvert and so shy that I'd probably end up not going...lol. Oh, I'm not crazy about tomatoes either, but I do eat them as long as the slices/chunks aren't too big. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!