Monday, December 15, 2014

2nd Annual First Line Christmas Contest WINNERS!!!

(source)

First, a great, big, huge thank you to everyone who participated! This is one of the things I really look forward to doing on my blog, and you all make it so much fun. And a second great, big, huge thank you to Jessica Lawson & Kathryn Purdie, for being amazing guest judges. Now, onto our winners! 

Jessica's top pick was Kelly Hashway's entry:

It's not every day you see Santa holding a bloody icicle.

I ended up choosing this sentence for its strength of brevity and tension/page-turner quality. Even though I'm a weenie when it comes to anything coming close to horror, this one stood out to me as a killer sentence (pun intended :)). ~ Jessica


Kathryn's top pick was Beth Ellyn's entry:

It was always Mom's job to light the menorah and I definitely lack her steady hand: one candle sits slanted, flickering merrily, and another just dropped to the ground, dangerously close to Dad's Christmas tree. 

This really gripped me. There’s a lot of character development here, a lot of yearning, and a lot of intrigue. It hints that Mom is now gone, that there is emotional upset over that, and perhaps it had something to do with two conflicting traditions and therefore types of people. I’d definitely keep reading a book that started this way! Great job, everyone! I loved the humorous entries, as well. ~Kathryn 

Super congrats to Kelly & Beth! Just email me at leandrawallace@gmail.com whether you'd like your copy of My True Love Gave to Me sent through Amazon or B&N. 

And the fun isn't quite done yet. Kathryn & Jessica also crafted first lines for our enjoyment, yay! And me too, I couldn't resist! =)  

The worn wooden sleigh was empty of presents, but filled with piles of holiday cheer as the four Garland children caroled their way to the village charity stall, snowflakes swirling among them like frosty stars that had been wished down from the night sky.  ~Jessica 

* * * 

Jack insisted I wear at least one of his mittens, but his now lays abandoned at the manger scene, dusted in a fine layer of snow.  ~Kathryn

* * * 

My ice skates glided over the ice, cutting thin lines like scars on the translucent surface.  ~Leandra 
* * *

So that concludes this years First Line Contest! I wish everyone peace and goodwill with the coming days of shopping, baking, and present-wrapping. ;) Also, that you all have a truly wonderful holiday season with friends and family. 

Merry Christmas!
(source)

18 comments:

  1. Congrats to the winners! Great first lines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great! The winner is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the winners!!! I loved them all :) Such a fun tradition, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good ones. It must have been difficult to choose. Congratulations to the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were gooood. Congrats to Kelly and Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those lines are wonderful. Congrats to the winners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MERRY CHRISTMAS & A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I can't believe I won. :) Thanks so much. Emailing you now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. aaahhh I'm so excited (and shocked! there were so many incredible entries!) Thank you so much to Kathryn and Jessica for judging a really tough contest. :) this was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are awesome first lines. Congratulations to everyone who won!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to the winners~ it was so hard to choose! They were all wonderful~ what a great contest, Leandra :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to the winners! I'm sorry I missed it! I've been MIA from the blogosphere for a couple weeks. Sounds like such a fun contest! Maybe next year... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to the winners! They were all awesome and so much fun to read. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful choices! God bless you this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun contest, and I loved all the first lines! If the pre-holidays didn't put my mind in such a mushy place, I would have entered. :)

    I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, Leandra, and a fantastic New Year!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats to all the winners! Great lines! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!