Friday, December 5, 2014

Author Stop: Sarah Negovetich


Please welcome Sarah Negovetich, whose debut novel, RITE OF REJECTION, just recently released!

1. Christmas will be here soon! What is one of your fav holiday treats/traditions?

Oh gosh, I love Christmas. We live far away from family, but every year we drive (DRIVE) for two days so we can visit everyone. My family is big and loud and we love playing cards. When all the presents are opened and the dinner is eaten, we play a weird version of Rummy that takes hours to play with so many people. Everyone pours a drink and we leave the food out so we can snack all night, play cards, laugh at each other and catch up on life. I look forward to it every year.

2. Which writing do you find easier-- first drafting or revising?

Revising is definitely easier for me. I tend to write really sparse first drafts so it’s hard for me because I know just how bad it is while I’m writing it. I never have one of those moments where I think ‘The words I just wrote are pure genius.’ Instead, I usually finish a scene and then type a comment in the margins on exactly what needs to be cut and how awful sections are. I’m not very nice to myself when I draft.

With revising, there’s this sense of relief that I got the story out and I get to go in and have fun. I have no issues gutting entire scenes and love going back in to discover new quirks of my characters. Revising is really when the story comes alive for me.

3. Having written a dystopian yourself, what are some of your fav books in this genre?

Wow, there are so many. One of my favorite books of all time is 1984. I love how dark the whole book is, yet there is this underlying presence of hope that just can’t be shaken. Alas, Babylon is a really great, post-apocalypse book that one of my cousins gave me when I was probably too young to read it. It fallows a tiny town after a nuclear strike and is such a magnificent study of all the different ways that people react to crisis. For more recent books, I loved Hunger Games, of course. And The Giver quartet. I’m too old to have read them in school, but reading them as an adult left a lasting impact on me.

4. Stripes, plaid, or polka dots?

I am currently wearing fuzzy, pink plaid pants so we’ll go with that. I am the least fashion conscious person I know. Almost all of my clothes were bought for me by other people (I hate shopping), so I tend to just wear whatever is clean in my closet.

5. What is a fav line(s) from RoR?

This is soooo hard. It took forever, but I finally narrowed it down.

If everything had gone the way I expected at my Acceptance ceremony last year, I would be outside right now, living the boring life planned out for me and never know what true love is like. Life might be safer on the other side of the fence, but that doesn’t equal better anymore.

* * * 

And don't forget to enter the Rafflecopter below for a chance to win this fun prize pack!

#RiteOfRejection Reader Survival Pack


Chapter 17 tissues (because that’s when you’ll need them), a jumbo sized chocolate bar (a hot commodity inside the PIT), an orange scented candle (courtesy of Rebecca’s fondest memory from home, a dandelion pen (as featured on the cover), handcrafted Molly bag (named after the character responsible for sewing them in the book, these are the bags used extensively by the main characters), and a $10 Amazon gift card.

a Rafflecopter giveaway


About the Author



Sarah Negovetich knows you don’t know how to pronounce her name and she’s okay with that.

Her first love is Young Adult novels, because at seventeen the world is your oyster. Only oysters are slimy and more than a little salty; it’s accurate if not exactly motivational. We should come up with a better clichĂ©.

Sarah divides her time between writing YA books that her husband won’t read and working with amazing authors as an agent at Corvisiero Literary Agency. Her life’s goal is to be only a mildly embarrassing mom when her kids hit their teens.
You can learn more about Sarah and her books at www.SarahNegovetich.com or follow her antics on Twitter @SarahNego.







Straight-laced, sixteen-year-old Rebecca can’t wait for her Acceptance. A fancy ball, eligible bachelors, and her debut as an official member of society. Instead, the Machine rejects Rebecca. Labeled as a future criminal, she’s shipped off to a life sentence in a lawless penal colony.

A life behind barbed wire fences with the world’s most dangerous people terrifies Rebecca. She reluctantly joins a band of misfit teens in a risky escape plan, complete with an accidental fiancĂ© she’s almost certain she can learn to love.
But freedom comes with a price. To escape a doomed future and prove her innocence Rebecca must embrace the criminal within.


Available now at Amazon, B&N, Kobo & iTunes



* * * 

Lastly, one lucky commenter will win a $5 Amazon gift card(announced 12/8 via comments). Please just follow Sarah at one or more of her social media sites. Sarah's also a literary agent/marketing lady, so I definitely recommend following her blog. She offers all kinds of handy tips and tricks that you won't want to miss out on! 

19 comments:

  1. This looks like a great read! Also, I'm curious to check out Babylon that was mentioned, too. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's one I'm not familiar w/either, so I'm curious too. Thx!

      Delete
  2. Sounds great, and I love the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big reviser too. We must go to the same school. Revisions is where I tend to thrive. Congrats on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck with your debut--sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Sarah! Fun interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally relate, I LOVE revising! sounds wonderful!! congrats to Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this interview and love the book's cover/description! And the gift pack is super fun/creative :) Sarah's family sounds like they know how to have a great time over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific interview! Thanks for bringing Sarah to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to Sarah! I also am a sparse first drafter, so I could totally relate to how much you love revising. I also am a big fan of 1984 and the Giver. Your book sounds fantastic. Thanks for a great interview, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Sarah! Your book looks and sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Polka dots! I have one polka dot shirt, and I've had it for years. Without fail, I get compliments when I wear it.

    Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to meet you in blogland, Leandra.
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Sarah's book. Oh, and 1984 is such a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And the winner of the Amazon gift card is Sandra Cox!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!