Wednesday, December 17, 2014

This Shattered World Review

To see the entire tour schedule, visit The Midnight Garden.

The second installment in the epic Starbound trilogy introduces a new pair of star-crossed lovers on two sides of a bloody war.

Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.

Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.

Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion.

Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war.

Visit the These Broken Stars website for the latest news on the series and follow the authors on Twitter at @AmieKaufmanand @MeaganSpooner. This Shattered World is available for pre-order (with fun swag!) and will be released in North America on December 23, 2014.

* * *

I'll admit, I'm a bit tired of kick-butt girls with a chip on their shoulder. They've experienced a huge surge in YA in the last several years. So I wasn't sure at first about this book, even though I knew I wanted to read it as I'd heard nothing but raving about its companion novel, These Broken Stars.

So I thought I'd give it a try... and I'm so glad I did!

I liked Jubilee, despite her being the girl that everyone knew to avoid b/c she could totally kick your butt with one arm behind her back and a wet paper sack over her head. Right off the bat there was enough characterization for me to begin to connect to w/her. Like in the opening scene, where she's at the bar. She'd ordered a girly drink with a hot pink olive-piercing sword b/c she knew the bartender didn't get much reason to flex his drink mixing skills with all the soldiers drinking nothing but manly beers. So-- doing something nice for someone-- is something that I can empathize with. Whereas being an unstoppable soldier (me, who can manage five girl push-ups at best?), not so much.

Then there were the small flashbacks of her childhood in between chapters. This definitely fostered a connection between me and Jubilee's character. We're not told why she's like she is, we get to see it. And it's done with some pretty lyrical writing too.

As for the setting, that gets two thumbs up. The authors did a great job of painting a bleak world where the sun doesn't shine. Hate grey days? Then Avon isn't for you! There's also this thing where non-natives are affected by The Fury. It's some unknown affliction that makes you go violent and bonkers. You'd kill your own grannie w/out thinking twice.

Now before you're all like-- this book sounds depressing, no thanks-- let me tell you about the other main character, Flynn. He's an Irish-type hottie with a firm chin who knows a thing or two about flirting.
Jubilee and Flynn eventually come to trust each other, and watching this long, painful journey was my fav part of the book. Trust me folks, no insta-love here. 

Towards the middle of the book, there's a huge, heart-wrenching twist that I hated reading. And things don't let up after that. Because there's a mystery to figure out about the Fury, and then there's another twist-- this one made me SO happy-- and another and another and... let me just say this book takes you for a ride. Highly recommended! Five luminous balls of gas from me. And I meant that like, in yanno, stars... ;) 

So for a stab at creativity to go along w/my rambly review(like I could write any other kind), I've put pictures along with some excerpts from TSW. Hope you like! 


It's a crappy bar on a crappy makeshift street, wistfully named Molly Malone's. 



We were taught there are a couple of moons up there too, somewhere, coaxing the waters to flow this way and that. But I've never once seen them-- only the clouds, always the clouds. 

Avon's sky is grey. 


(source)

So I splash some of the water on my face, scrubbing my hands over my cheeks, my eyes, my mouth. Trying to rid myself of the smell of him close to me, the feel of his fingers against my cheek, the soft feather touch of his breath. 

But no amount of scrubbing will get rid of that tired longing in his voice, the memory of how he looked at me.


(source)

I recognize the choking, acrid smell of smoke. Something, somewhere, is on fire. 

My head snaps up. I can see thick black smoke billowing up in the distance, and automatically I break into a sprint.

* * * 

a Rafflecopter giveaway

34 comments:

  1. I haven't read These Broken Stars, but I happen to know my daughter is getting it for Christmas, so maybe I will borrow it when she is done! Then, we'll have to see about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she likes it! And, oh, books for Christmas... No one in my family buys me books, as they all think I have too many. *snorts* Like that could be a thing...

      Delete
  2. Oooh, sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good, and I'm excited to read the third when it comes out!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this series but it sounds good. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers are super gorgeous! I love nebula pictures, they're absolute gorgeous with all the colors.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if a lot of the popularity of kick-butt girls started with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That entire era seemed to jumpstart this trend. I like spunky heroines, but it seems like they cross a line where they are no longer likable. It sounds like this author pulled it off well, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! When I can't start off with even liking a character, then it is hard for me to keep going. And they really did, so that's good!

      Delete
  5. Excellent review, and I loved the images :) Sounds like a really fun read--another one to add to the TBR!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And, you know, these days, I kind of feel like TBR is a dirty word. Or acronym. =) It just never gets any smaller, but grows and grows. And grows!!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read These Broken Stars, but I've always thought these books have beautiful covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! The first was more blue/green, this one is pink/orange. I'm curious at what the third will look like. Maybe purplish?

      Delete
  7. I've been dying to read this series. I just have to make some room in my reading backlog. But it looks like an awesome series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like them! I still have to read the first, but totally plan on doing so.

      Delete
  8. Woooo! Okay, okay, can I just say GORGEOUS? :) Adding it to my TBR shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to read both books! This sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it awesome you found a book you liked so much!! I wish that happened to me more often. I find fault and DNF so many books. I'm a Grinch! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With limited time to read, sometimes you gotta be picky!

      Delete
  11. wow this drew me right in...sometimes it's good to sink into something gray and dark. And the cover is amazing. :) And is it weird that I like unlikeable protags sometimes? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sometimes it is refreshing to find someone you like to hate on. Or be secretly delighted at their bad behavior! ;)

      Delete
  12. Great review—this sounds like an awesome book! And I have to admit, you had me cracking up at "five luminous balls of gas from me." Not sure if that's how you meant it...maybe I've been hanging around immature little boys for too long. Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, you got it! =D And I'm sure you get your fill of potty humor, heh!

      Delete
  13. I have wanted to start this series for a while! This makes me want to start it even more...even though I just wrote a post about how I'm in the middle of a ridiculous amount of series LOL! I love the pics you put with the excerpt, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Sometimes series make me anxious. Is that weird? =)

      Delete
  14. I agree with you about kick-butt girls. I didn't know this was a companion novel to These Broken Stars, but that title is intriguing enough to me that I may look these up. There's so much to read, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone was a genius when it came to these titles. I'm so curious as to what the third will be. And I know- I'm never going to get caught up. Last time I counted, I had 60 books on my bookcases(and in stacks on the floor) that I hadn't read yet. And that was a few years ago... *gulp*

      Delete
  15. Thanks so much for sharing this, Leandra! I look forward to reading THIS SHATTERED WORLD!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i agree with the "tough girl" complex, but i like that you found something to ground her and relate! sounds like a well put together book!

    and Leandra - hope you have a great holiday and a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm completely on board about what you said, kick-butt girls being over-used and having too much of an attitude. But I like that you connected with her and that she likes to do nice things for people!

    LOVE how the plot is fast and I love the guy! Irish guys always flirt well :)

    Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!