Thursday, December 4, 2014

WIP Tag & Good News

So the awesomesauce Sarah Ahiers tagged me to answer some questions about my WIP, of which I'm always happy to gab about. Also, Sarah has a book coming out next year, All That Remains. What you need to know: Assassins! And I all ready feel a connection to her main character because I'm a stone-cold killer 'cuz her name is a bit similar to mine. Curious? Go check out that Goodreads link... ;) So. WIP Questions. Answered.
What is your WIP about?
The Holly Berry Murders is about an 11 yo girl who lives in a huge apartment complex. Due to a social anxiety disorder, she keeps mostly to herself, wandering through the complex. Because of this, she knows the place- and people- better than anyone. 

How long have you been working on your WIP?
A month, and then I took a few months' break to finish something else and now I've been back at it for a couple of weeks.

Who is your MC?
Hollister Graham.

What are some of the themes you're exploring?
Life after death, and the aforementioned social disorder.

What song would represent your story or MC?
Ah, crap. Nothing has really jumped out of the radio to me w/this story, except for Love Don't Die by The Fray. And that's just b/c of the main chorus where they sing, "Love don't die, no matter where we go- ahhahahaaah." Or something like that. *grin*

If you were casting your story as a movie, who would play your main character? 
I don't have real clear images of my characters' faces in my head(is this weird?) so finding someone that looks just right isn't really possible. But I imagine she'd look somewhat like this tween actress, Helen Colliander.

What is your favorite line in your WIP so far? 
Things were busy and normal and just the way life was in Cherry Hill, until, like normal, it wasn't.

If your MC were to have a pet, what would it be?
A bunny rabbit.

When do you think your WIP will be "done?"
I'm hoping the end of Dec. But that's going to take some major butt in chair.

Who's your favorite side character in your WIP and why?
I have two, Ryce and Ross. They're twins, so it's sort of impossible for me to pick just one. As for why? They're twins. 'Nuff reason.

What's your MC's favorite food?
Spaghetti w/fresh grated Parmesan and Romano cheese over top.


Now, to nominate someone else. Like lovely ladies, Donna McDine and Christine Rains. And b/c I'm lazy, and also b/c I think Sarah provided good questions, if you so choose to be tagged, the above questions will be what you answer. Have fun!

* * * 

So, onto my good news! You might remember me mentioning the sci-fi short I was working on, or saw the description for it on my WIP tab at some point. Well... it was accepted! Woo-hoo! The Mad Scientist's Daughter will be available to read in 2015 in Brave New Girls: Tales of Girls and Gadgets. I'm pretty sure it's going to be surreal to open a real-live book and see my words printed there. Surreal, and pretty great.

37 comments:

  1. Oh, so cool -- I like the idea of an 11 y.o. with a social anxiety disorder living in an apartment building where she (obviously) eschews social contact but still detects a murder. Awesome premise!

    This reminds me of The Westing Game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that's a good comparison... Might have to use that one! Thanks, Dianne!

      Delete
  2. congrats!! ps...your book sounds totally fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these sort of things! Your book sounds really awesome. And congrats on your story getting accepted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! And it's always fun to talk about our stories, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I love the premise of your WIP. And what great names...Hollister, Ryce, Cherry Hill—love it! Can't wait to read it! ;)

    And congrats again on your short being accepted! The best news I've heard in a while. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! Well, THBM will be coming to you after Chain Gang. I will soon be attacking that hot mess w/a word machete, yah! (I am so lame)

      Delete
  5. WOOO!! Congrats on the acceptance!
    Also, i LOVE your favorite line. And now i really want that Spaghetti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Usually I'm a marinara girl, but the thought of all that yummy cheese. *drools* And thx!

      Delete
  6. YAYAYAY SO excited on the acceptance!!! and I love how your story sounds. Just love. That line is amazing. Also, I adore twins in books. And Hollister and I share the same fav food. lol. Now go celebrate your awesome news! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth!! I'm glad everyone likes that line, makes me happy! =) And I hope to celebrate w/an Italian Creme Soda before long. Delicous!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your short story sale!!! That's awesome! I love your favorite line - "until, like normal, it wasn't." Hollister sounds like a really interesting character to write.
    Best wishes for writing in December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, she is! Hopefully I can just keep her that way. ;)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! Yes, nothing beats holding your own book.
    Don't worry, I can't picture any actors as my characters either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, Leandra!! How exciting! And your WIP sounds fun! And I love the name Hollister Graham :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too- it makes me think of graham crackers, which I can eat by the boatload. =)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your good news and good luck with your WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, Congratulations on Mad Scientist's Daughter!!! And what a fun wip. You must be a fast writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If you were here I'd hug you. I would love to be a fast writer! I try to be, but it's like slogging through molasses somedays. =)

      Delete
  12. Congrats on your story! Acceptances are always good reasons to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And definitely, especially since rejections are much more common. =)

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on the acceptance! And thanks for the tag. I'm being blog lazy the rest of the December, though! Hehehe! Now I'm craving spaghetti. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just craving food! Food! I was waiting to make supper on the hubs, and then find out he'd already ate. So he's coming home w/a big 'ol sack of drive-thru goodness, lol!

      Delete
  14. Congrats on the short story! It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the story acceptance! Your mc sounds fun and her taste in spaghetti is right on. Good luck getting it done by New Year's! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Some days I'm all like 'I got this' and other days 'Ahhh!' ;)

      Delete
  16. Ahhh, congratulations!! The anthology sounds like a great collection, and an especially great way to empower young girls who love science/tech!

    Love the title of your WIP and the main character sounds great. I also can't always picture my characters. If you showed me a series of photos, I guess I could say, "yeah, that could be him/her," but they're not fully formed in my mind in terms of physical appearance. Good luck finishing a draft by the end of December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been nice hearing that other ppl are this way too. I'm good on hair, eye color, short, tall, but everything else is a bit vague. And thanks!

      Delete
  17. Wooo Hoooo! Congratulations on the short story acceptance, Leandra! That's fantastic news, and I love the title. I also liked reading about your WIP. It sounds intriguing. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's wonderful, Leandra. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!