Thursday, January 29, 2015

Picture Book Love & Randomness


I ordered GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY! all for me. I will read it to the kidlet (& often), but this picture book is going on my bookshelves. It has two of my loves: history and food. It's bright and colorful, and the illustrations are reminiscent of iced gingerbread cookies. Too adorable.


A recipe for gingerbread cookies on the endpapers. 


Our chubby baker, off to war. 


Continental Army soldiers looking like iced cookies. {nom, nom}


I need to look up how to pronounce these German words before reading this to the kidlet.


General George Washington!!!


And as if I needed anymore reasons to love this book, I present: The back cover!


I also love learning (at the ripe ol' age of 30) about a historical figure that I hadn't known about up until now, our German baker, Christopher Ludwick. According to the author's notes in the back of the book, there's still a foundation in Philadelphia {the Christopher Ludwick Foundation} that gives out grants to help educate needy children, as when Christopher died in 1801 he left money to pay for the schooling of poor children.

If you liked this post, then you should for sure follow Carter Higgin's, Design of the Picture Book. I have lusted over so many amazing picture books on her site (and she breaks down picture books WAY better than I). Thanks to her, it's also why I know terms like 'endpapers'. If you're a picture book aficionado, follow DotPB! You won't be sorry you did (you'll actually be quite glad!).

As for the randomness of this post, look at what I got from my co-worker, Jasmine! 


She was on a closet cleaning binge and when I pulled this out of the bag she brought in, I was ecstatic! I will wear this until it is nothing but a washed-out, tattered rag, scout's honor.

And in closing randomness, I added white lights to my inspiration board over Christmas. I love seeing offices w/lights in them, so for me, they're the perfect touch. It adds softness and whimsy, don't ya think?



What about you all? Any picture books you've fallen in love with lately? Or any bits of randomness you'd like to share? Let's hear it!

29 comments:

  1. My kids read the Little Monsters Bedtime Book until it was in tatters, and they still know not to let the Zimparumparoos bite.

    Love the lights! They do add whimsy. I hung pink flamingo lights around my laundry area. Add a little pretty to a functional spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound like fun! And anything to make laundry more enjoyable... I'll have to check out that Monsters pb too, thx!

      Delete
  2. Randomness? Let's see. how about playing Minecraft. Mu kids left their accounts open so I took a quick tutorial on YouTube and started playing. Have to admit that game is a lot of fun and addicting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not played it, but I bet it is. Games like that usually are!

      Delete
  3. Cute lights and sweatshirt! And that book sounds tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I want cookies every time I read it!

      Delete
  4. I love buying a children's book for myself. :) Your inspiration board is neat! I have mine on a poster board, but I like the idea of a bulletin board. I have pretty lights up in my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White lights are so nice when the rest of the house is dark, it's so peaceful. And I really love my bulletin board. =)

      Delete
  5. That looks so charming. I love picture books, but I haven't read one in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that I have a little guy running around so that I have an excuse to buy them, lol!

      Delete
  6. The back cover sold me on it :) Also, I want to steal that sweatshirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't is awesome! Liberty and dessert- can't get any better than that. =) And I know, if it wasn't mine, I'd want to steal it too, heh!

      Delete
  7. Shirt looks comfortable.
    Give me liberty or give me gingerbread! Book does look cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super comfy, which is my fav style to rock. ;)

      Delete
  8. This looks great. I love the cover illustration. I just made gingerbread cookies a few days ago, because we're having the second part of Christmas this weekend with out-of-town family. Very cool sweatshirt. I don't think I've ever seen one with an ampersand on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want more clothing w/ampersands on it now! I was actually looking at some shirts on Etsy today. =) I hope your belated holiday celebrating is wonderful!

      Delete
  9. Terrific review and profile! Looks like a darling book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. Now, I'm craving cookies with royal icing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I like the lights. I need to get an inspiration board for my office.

    ReplyDelete
  12. only bits of randomness is a string of bad days! I'm hoping things start to get better soon! AND THAT SHIRT! LOVE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, bad days suck, especially strung together. Hope you get a whole rash of good ones! And I know, right? Lurve.

      Delete
  13. I actually JUST wrote a PB. My advisor this semester is Phyllis Root (my fav PB of hers is BIG MAMA MAKES THE WORLD which is a creation myth story and it's adorable) and she wanted me to write one so i did! I kind of love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack, that's so cool to hear that! I bet it's great. =)

      Delete
  14. Mara R is one of my favorite PB writers. She always manages to find the unique stories. This one looks terrific. Love your lights ... I've been re-reading and drooling over An Egg is Quiet. It's an older PB but Sylvia Long is a favorite illustrator and I'm blown away by the poetic text of Diana Aston. And it's not random, but Sylvia Long illustrated my first children's story in Ladybug ... Six Inch Squares

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of her before now (I'm not too picture book author informed tho) but after going to her website, it looks like she's wrote a lot of really good ones. I'll have to look up Sylvia Long, I love looking at good illustrations.

      Delete
  15. When I taught, I couldn't get enough of picture books but sadly, being away from little ones, I see from the one you mentioned, I am missing out!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!