Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I Started a New Thing

Writing in the morning! I was cooking supper the other night and thinking about how I've not been doing well with revisions here lately. My old routine (writing at night) just wasn't working for me lately. And I knew if I didn't do something, this revision was going to stretch into the summer months, and then I'd feel anxious and miserable and like a failure. 

B/c everyone else is writing 5.5 stories every week! {Nevermind that isn't possible-- it's what it feels like.}
When I first started writing, I did a lot of it in the morning. Writing was new and exciting and I was intoxicated by my story world that I was sure was going to be the next. biggest. thing! {blows raspberries @ younger, clueless self} But the morning writing slowly petered out. Especially after having the kidlet, as sleep became more precious than gold. 

But I decided for the sake of not feeling anxious and miserable and like a failure, to start writing in the a.m again. I have done it for two mornings in a row now. I get up, make a cup of hot tea, and actually sit at my desk. *gasp* It's nice. I have my white lights on, my inspiration board in front of me, and my fuzzy slippers on. I feel this new routine will work particularly well for me, too, as if the day goes to the crapper with work stress/kid stress/daily life stress, and I don't get in any writing that night, then no harm, no foul! I'll have already wrote that day. 

I don't know if I'll keep this up indefinitely {I do like my sleep...} but I plan on doing so at least until I finish this major round of revisions {which includes printing out my ms in hard copy and editing it}. So there ya go, a new thing.

And in other news...

Charlie Holmberg will be starting a contest Feb. 16th, and there are some pretty sweet prizes. If you're artistically inclined with paper, you might consider entering. 

This Saturday I'll be discussing Susan Crispell's book, LOVE AND CUPCAKES, with her. Here's a tasty graphic to wet your appetite...

     

33 comments:

  1. Woot! I'm so glad this is working for you!! Keep it up! *Shakes pompoms*--wait, that would probably be really weird if I did that...but you know what I mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I hope the a.m. writing continues to work out for you. You sound excited about it, and that's a very good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about writing in the morning, but I just love my sleep ... I'll probably try it a few times and see how it works out. I'm glad it's working for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you too. I'll admit, it's hard to not his dismiss on my alarm...

      Delete
  4. Good for you, I tend to prefer mornings to write as my brain is mush by the evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's why I feel like the evenings weren't working out well. I just wanted to collapse on the couch and read a book, not write one!

      Delete
  5. This: "B/c everyone else is writing 5.5 stories every week! {Nevermind that isn't possible-- it's what it feels like.}" ... Right? Oh. My. This is a WONDERFUL post. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huzzah to early rising! Writing in the morning always makes me feel like I've accomplished something during the day. And then you can relax at night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are writing again because of the new routine, then go for it. I hope it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, sir! At least until I need to move on to a new routine. Writing in the bathtub...? ;)

      Delete
  8. yay, I go through this all the time, where I have to switch up my time to write. It's awkward at first but if it flows, go for it! I remember Sarah Dessen was tweeting a couple of years ago about her daughter starting kindergarten and how it completely messed with her writing schedule. Lately I've been doing well in the evening but I'm sure that will change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be a new thing I start, changing it up every so often. Though I find I am often a slave to habit!

      Delete
  9. Leandra, I should follow your example because like you say, if anything else comes up, at least you've done that! I am so not a morning person but man things can conspire in the afternoon as well ... and then what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's nothing like an unproductive writing day to make you feel all blue. =/

      Delete
  10. Good luck with revisions! That's great that a change of scheduling is helping. :)
    Also, I love Love and Cupcakes!! And Susan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered you mentioning her, and when I came across it, definitely wanted to read it- glad I did!

      Delete
  11. Writing in the morning is just not me, I'm afraid. I'm a late night writing girl!
    And then, of course, I have to sleep in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love staying up at night and writing if I don't have to get up early in the morning. Having the house all quiet and to myself is so nice!

      Delete
  12. I am impressed by your new routine, Leandra. It is SOOO hard to get up early to write. It is a wonderful idea, though, especially when plowing through revisions. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky! And plowing is about right. ;)

      Delete
  13. I might need to follow your lead. I've been writing nights forever, and now that my kids are in school during the day, I've used that time, but work and life encroach on that time all too quickly. (Plus all the breaks and holidays and class parties - like this week). I'm not a morning person, but I, too have a revision that I just NEED to finish before summer. Preferably LONG before summer. Anyway, good luck with your revision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine all the school stuff is hectic! I'm not quite there yet w/my little man. =) And thanks- to you as well!

      Delete
  14. Great approach! I wish you lots of success!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to switch things up every few months. I don't know why that is, but I just do. Kudos to you for figuring it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it has to do w/our brains getting in ruts, lol!

      Delete
  16. I'm a morning writer. Love to sit at the break of day, in the quiet and compose. Good Luck and Happy Valentines Day

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with the morning writing and this round of revisions, Leandra! Sometimes all we need is a bit of a change to get us going again. You can do it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's awesome! How early are we talking? I wish I could get up early in the morning, but I stay up too late and then it's too hard to get up. It's a vicious cycle. :)

    Good luck getting those revisions and edits done! I'm patiently waiting... :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!