Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Jackaby Inspiration


I read Jackaby at the beginning of this year and really, really liked it. It was a very atmospheric book, with such enjoyable characters. And I am so in love with this cover and became even more so when I realized the picture 'inside' of Jackaby is one that I've saved myself for inspiration when I was writing my YA historical fantasy, Liberty or Death. {It's of a different view; multiple pics of this street in Boston can be found online. So gorgeous.}


One of Jackaby's main characters (Jackaby) is touted as a mix between Sherlock Homes and Dr. Who. I know nothing about the good doctor, but being familiar w/Sherlock Holmes, could see how this fit. Jackaby was a genius and clueless, and terribly funny for the combination of the two. I also really clicked with Abagail Rook, whose POV the book is told from. 

I loved her, because she's resourceful and kind, and she also likes dinosaurs, like me. 

"My previous and only real prior job experience had come from foolishly following an advertisement with bold, capitalized words like EXCITING OPPORTUNITY, and CHANCE OF A LIFETIME, and, probably most effective in capturing my naive attention, DINOSAURS."

Yup, that would totally suck me in too. So for fun, I've hunted down a few pics that I feel could represent elements out of Jackaby. {Disclaimer: I freely admit that all of these came from Kami Garcia's Writing Inspiration board on Pinterest. I just can't work that site very well. When I try to search for cool images, all I get are bland generic ones. Like 'girls in long dresses' and I get fashion models on a runway, not all the neat images I see everyone else pinning of girls in fields with stormy skies and flocks of birds overhead. Anyone have good tips on this dilemma? What am I doing wrong?! End of disclaimer.}





"I excused myself to go see a duck about a dress."

The above is my favorite line in the whole book. It's so absurd...and yet absolutely true. If you like novels set back in time with paranormal elements and witty repartee, you should totally give Jackaby a try! 

Synopsis: 

“Miss Rook, I am not an occultist,” Jackaby said. “I have a gift that allows me to see truth where others see the illusion--and there are many illusions. All the world’s a stage, as they say, and I seem to have the only seat in the house with a view behind the curtain.”

Newly arrived in New Fiddleham, New England, 1892, and in need of a job, Abigail Rook meets R. F. Jackaby, an investigator of the unexplained with a keen eye for the extraordinary--including the ability to see supernatural beings. Abigail has a gift for noticing ordinary but important details, which makes her perfect for the position of Jackaby’s assistant. On her first day, Abigail finds herself in the midst of a thrilling case: A serial killer is on the loose. The police are convinced it’s an ordinary villain, but Jackaby is certain it’s a nonhuman creature, whose existence the police--with the exception of a handsome young detective named Charlie Cane--deny.

Doctor Who meets Sherlock in William Ritter’s debut novel, which features a detective of the paranormal as seen through the eyes of his adventurous and intelligent assistant in a tale brimming with cheeky humor and a dose of the macabre.

* * *

Here is Jackaby on Goodreads, and also its sequel, Beastly Bones-- which sounds ah-ma-zing!

41 comments:

  1. It's such an amazing cover! As for Pinterest, I find it depends a lot on the boards you follow. If you like that girl's board, follow it, then find more like it, and soon your feed will have lots of photos for you to pin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that's how I'll have to do it-- let others do my searching for me! =)

      Delete
  2. I am really excited to see historical YA stories that are popular. It gives me hope for my historicals -- and I really did enjoy Jackaby! Love those pictures!

    AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH DOCTOR WHO?! You must remedy that ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! *cringes* I knew someone was going to call me out on that, lol! I've never seen a thing to do w/Dr. Who. I think it has something to do w/time travel in a phone booth...maybe? =) And you should never lose hope for your historicals, b/c they are amazing!!

      Delete
  3. yay, I don't watch Dr. Who either and I don't understand the hype!! I feel like the only one lol. And I too don't understand Pinterest. I have one, but it's a joke, b/c I never use it. It's SO confusing to me. *double high fives*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find recipes okay on Pinterest, and have done some secret boards for my books that I'm pleased with. But, yeah, how everybody finds all the super amazing pictures on there, I don't understand. =( Maybe they originally pin them? However that works...

      Delete
  4. Those are cool images.
    Not on Pinterest, so no idea how to work it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't do all the social media all the time, right? Instagram has been my last hold out. 'Course, I don't have a smartphone, so that might be why. =)

      Delete
  5. That's my latest rave...creating Pinterest page for my books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I reviewed Jackaby for BookPage. I requested a mystery and it delivered! Super fun book. Love historicals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love this cover! I enjoyed hearing about this book and I will definitely keep my eye out for it. Love mysteries and HF. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bridge is a gateway for me! This book looks interesting to me. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a scene in the book where they go to a bridge where an old lady is fishing, and that pic made me think of it. =)

      Delete
  9. I am so totally sold. Just bought it! And those images--sooo pretty! Though finding them on Pinterest is a nightmare. I find myself just following people who seems to have the knack because they just hide from me otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's gonna have to be my plan from now on! I hope you love the book!

      Delete
  10. I LOVE those pictures. They remind me of fall. I may have to check that book out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds SO good~ kind of like a YA version of Lockwood & Co., which I adore! I'm definitely adding it to my TBR list. Those pictures are so atmospheric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I adore that series too. Just so funny and creepy and amazing writing. The characters are fantastic!

      Delete
  12. That is a very neat cover and seems like a very intriguing read! Oooh, I love Pinterest. Maybe if you searched with different tag words to make it more specific? And the more boards you follow, the more great stuff you'll come across. I also get a weekly email with board and pin suggestions. And, I'm also very careful about posting pictures from the internet because of copyright issues. I have a lot of secret boards for my novels, too. Love using it for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret boards are great! Mainly b/c I don't want my family and friends thinking I'm crazy when I'm pinning stuff for my novels, heh!

      Delete
  13. Oh my god, I love those photos!! The one of the bridge is especially gorgeous...and enticing...perfect for inspiring a story.

    I would try searching for more specific words, too. Like if you wanted a girl in a field who happened to be wearing a long dress, you could try "old-fashioned girl outside," or "victorian girl grass," depending on what you're looking for. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tips, thanks! And I might start cruising Pinterest for more story inspirations, there are some amazing pics on there...on other ppl's boards anyway! =)

      Delete
  14. This sounds totally amazing and I looooove that cover!!! Thanks so much for bringing the book to my attention and for the awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a bright vibrant color too. Every time I see it, it makes me happy!

      Delete
  15. I love that cover - and this sounds absolutely captivating to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is an awesome cover and and intriguing story.

    (I've never watched Dr. Who either. I thought I was the only one.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I thought I was the only one, lol!

      Delete
  17. I LOOOOOVED Jackaby! It took me ages to read but it was worth it! I can't wait for the sequel. Great post, by the way!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And the sequel does sound fabulous.

      Delete
  18. This sounds fantastic! And I loved the pictures you added.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay...so I now HAVE to get this book. The pictures you got are amazing. And I absolutely agree, The cover is gorgeous and alluring. :)

    Sorry I've been a bit MIA. Juggling a demanding job and finishing a novel hasn't been easy. But I'm glad to be back and catching up with you all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies, life gets crazy sometimes! Always glad to see you, anytime!

      Delete
  20. This sounds like one I need to read! I guess I'll have to add it to my TBR pile (more like never-ending stack!) :)

    And I love all your pics, by the way. I can totally see how the pic on the cover of Jackaby would be inspiration while writing LorD. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!