Sunday, February 8, 2015

My Love Affair with Regency Romance


It's February, the month of love and chocolate (and flowers and teddy bears and cards). Romance is in the air! Which brings romance books to mind. And when romance books comes to mind, then Marion Chesney comes to my mind.

I love her books. You've heard me mention her before, as she's one of my fav authors. I first discovered her as a kid at the public library. I liked the pencil-sketched covers and upon reading them, fell in love with the Regency era. The lords and ladies, dukes and earls, the dresses and bonnets, balls and routs, townhouses and carriages-- I was enthralled by it all. I eagerly devoured all her books I could find, which at my small library, wasn't alot. So I went to a neighboring library where the selection was bigger.


I tore through these six-book series: The Daughters of Mannerling, The Traveling Matchmaker, The Poor Relation, School for Manners, The Six Sisters, & A House for the Season. 

I'm slowly building my own collection of these books.

{18 total, minus the six books of the School for Manners that are currently loaned out.}

Used, of course, as some of the new first edition ones online go for 500+. I like getting them used, as most of them are ex-library books and feel so familiar in hand. Plus, you never know what stickers or writing might be on them. 'Tis like a treasure hunt! I can't tell you how many times I've reread these books. I turn to them when I want to feel at home, or comforted. I turn to them when I'm going through a reading slump and want to read something that I know I'll enjoy. As in, the types of reads that have me sneaking snatches in between making supper.


If you haven't read Marion Chesney, totally give her a try! Her books are quick reads, full of droll humor and cultural tidbits of the Regency era. Like a young miss should never sit on a chair that is still warm from a gentleman's bottom-- that's a no-no! And there's always a HEA (happily ever after). Unless you're the bad guy-- they always get their just reward in Chesney's books.


Also, fun fact: My main character in my short story, The Mad Scientist's Daughter (coming June 2015) is named Viala. Viala Chesney. Yes, I'm a fan.

29 comments:

  1. Oooh, I LOVE a good regency. Which one of hers would you recommend I read first? Have you read any books by Julianne Donaldson? Hers are my favs, Edenbrooke especially :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the School for Manners series. There's two elderly twins that open up a school to 'refine unruly misses', as they're low on funds. =) They are so funny! The first book is Refining Felicity. I'll have to look up Julianne Donaldson, that's a new name to me, thanks!

      Delete
  2. ooh these sound so awesome! I'm going to try one. How funny is that about a woman not sitting in a chair recently occupied by a man? I would not be well liked in those days, as I wouldn't abide by a single rule! ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, there were all kinds of strange 'rules' back then. And let me know what you think! I'd say either start w/The School for Manners, or Daughters of Mannerling. Those two series are my absolute favs!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I love the pencil drawn covers too! Very neat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good regency era novel, though I think I'd go a little crazy if I lived back then (I have a very,er loud mouth at times and don't hold my tongue well ;). Still, I *love* the clothes!! I'll have to check Chesney out--she sounds like an author I'd enjoy. Have you read any of Elizabeth Peter's books? Those are period, but set more in Egypt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I discovered her as a kid too! I totally had a crush on Ramses. =)

      Delete
  5. Wow, she's been around a while, hasn't she? That's a lot of books.
    I'd pass on a five hundred dollar book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she's written tons. I still have books of hers I haven't read yet.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read a Regency romance in a while. Can't think why as I often find them entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've actually read any Regency romances. But I think I'll give Marion Chesney a try. Are they pretty quick reads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very quick reads, I can' finish one in a day, no problem. Probably another reason I like them so much!

      Delete
  8. I didn't know about these and they sound delightful! The covers too!!!
    And congratulations on the publication of your own short story!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vijaya! I'm excited for June to come. =)

      Delete
  9. I love the title of The Mad Scientist's Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Regency era! Thank you for featuring these! Have you read Georgette Heyer? They're also historical romance set in the Regency period. And Shades of Milk and Honey (more recent) is another one of my favorites. It has a bit of fantasy woven in as well.
    Congrats on your short story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That name sounds familiar... Putting her on my list to look up!

      Delete
  11. One of my first critique groups was with a woman who wrote regency romance (Beth Pattillo). I didn't even know what it was until I met her! I'm sure we studied the regency period in school--it just wasn't as big a deal as it was in the romance industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, right? Very big deal in the romance industry! I'll have to look up Beth's work.

      Delete
  12. Friends lives along and their hearts invariably want every others. They consider each other and keep it up adding love and take care of their relationship, for more information click here Top 20 Love Quotes that Will Addict You To Love.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!