Monday, March 9, 2015

Author Stop: Sioux Trett


I am super happy to have my friend, Sioux, here today! Her book, DRAWN IN, debuts this month, which is pretty awesome.

1. Besides writing, do you have any other creative outlets?

I have always enjoyed being creative in one way or another. I play the piano and I paint. I have a background in technical theatre, so I painted scenery for years and loved it. I also love scrapbooking and jewelry making… walking into Michael’s or Hobby Lobby is truly dangerous. I suddenly think I have all the time in the world just for being crafty!

2. You're at a taco bar, and they have every known taco topping known to man-- what goes on it?

Ohhhh, being a California girl, I love my tacos! I think my personal favorite taco would be soft corn tortilla, grilled mahi (perfectly seasoned of course), fresh cabbage and jicama slaw, a bit of pico de gallo, and topped with avocado/cilantro crema. I don’t think I’ve ever met a taco I didn’t like, but a perfectly fresh delicious fish taco is hard to beat. Just like being on the beach in Mexico!

3. We writers often beat ourselves up, so lets do the opposite! What do you consider is your greatest writing strength?

I love this! You’re so right, we do a lot of that, don’t we? Okay, well… I’m going to say that my greatest strength is my dialogue. In the theatre, it’s 99% of what’s on the page, so with that as my background, it’s kinda where I live. All of my scenes start as conversation in my head. I hear each character speaking in their own voice, so it makes it easier to translate to the page. It’s so exciting to see them come to life that way.

4. Physical book or ebook?

It depends on the book. I have to have my favourites as physical books, even if I already own the ebook. Seeing a favourite trilogy or series on my shelf is so comforting somehow. But I have to admit, I buy mostly ebooks these days. They’re cheaper, easier to store, and my puppy doesn’t get irritated with me turning pages while she’s trying to sleep. =)

5. What is a fav line(s) from DRAWN IN?

It's hard to pick - do I choose pretty, funny, snarky? Haha! I'll pick this one. Rennie's first meeting with Alex, he accidentally runs into her with a pile of driftwood. Later, he's inspecting her bruised shoulder to see how it's holding up. She's a little distracted...

He’s rolling my shoulder back and forth in the socket, but I’m feeling no pain. All I can concentrate on is that face so close to mine, the warmth of his hands on my arm, those beautiful full lips moving wordlessly mere inches from my own.

“Rennie?”

Okay, not wordlessly. I just wasn’t listening. Crap. “Huh?” Quite the elocutionist I am. “I was thinking of, um, something else,” I manage to get out.

He chuckles quietly. “Well I guess that means it doesn’t hurt too badly then.” He has no idea.


* * * 

As always, one commenter will win a $5 Amazon gift card. And today, we've got not one, but two giveaways happening. Another lucky commenter will get an annotated ARC from Sioux! Isn't that cool?! Please follow Sioux at one or more of her social media links {winner will be announced 3/12 via comments}.


   
Sioux Trett was born and raised in San Luis Obispo, California (the setting of Drawn In). She graduated from college in Oregon, and now makes her home in the beautiful Ozarks. When she’s not writing or reading, she can be found traveling, playing with the cutest puppy on the planet, or obsessing over things like Doctor Who, manicures, and Starbucks. Find more at her blog siouxtrett.wordpress.com.





Who says having all your dreams come true is a good thing?

Serenity Winters is taking the summer off. After her last year included crushing on the wrong guy (again), having her best friend move all the way across the country, and an unexpected loss she's still not prepared to deal with, she deserves it. And a visit to see Maia in California seems the perfect getaway. Beaches, bonfires and boys? Yes please!

But Rennie's dreams aren't so easy to elude. Sketching what she can remember of them helps some, but her drawings are taking on a life of their own and the dreams they represent are starting to come true.

Enter Alex, who may or may not be perfect. (No, who is she kidding? He's perfect. Great hair, plus he can quote Hamlet and Yoda? Come on!) But Alex has secrets of his own, namely a hidden ability to transport himself through time using a book as a portal. Could it be that both Rennie and Alex are being drawn in to the same mystery? They better find out quickly, because her dreams are getting louder. And they know her by name.
 


Amazon (Pre-order) | Goodreads


19 comments:

  1. I love tacos, too. :)

    This is such a great cover. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds great! And I absolutely LOVE the cover! It's so so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous, gorgeous cover! Congrats to Sioux!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so excited for her! :) and lovveee that line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulation, Sioux!
    I'm an eBook convert as well.
    And I want to go to your taco bar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Sioux! Great questions, Leandra. :) That is one beautiful cover!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the title...and a very intriguing premise! Great interview. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so fun! Thanks for all the great comments everyone, and thanks Leandra for helping to spread the word!! I love having you as my first blog tour stop!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michaels is my kryptonite--I swear I can't leave that place without something fun to try :) Also, I so want some fish tacos now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I'm totally wanting tacos now too. Lovely cover, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the interview and the cover is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that cover. I'm envious of writers who have other creative talents. Writing is pretty much it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful interview, Leandra and Sioux! DRAWN IN sounds fabulous--and yes, Sioux definitely has a gift for great dialogue. I will be reading this book for sure! = )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know what all those taco toppings are - but I'd be willing to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to meet you, Sioux! Love the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats to Sioux! I love the book description and fun voice. And I play the piano too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, Sioux! What an outstanding cover and premise. I'm looking forward to reading this one! Great interview, Leandra. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all the comment love and support of Sioux everyone! As for the winners, Alex Cavanaugh won the $5 Amazon gift card and Sarah Ahiers won the annotated ARC! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much everyone--I'm definitely feeling the love! And congratulations to Alex & Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!