Thursday, March 26, 2015

My Second IN SCBWI Writing Conference

Last weekend I attended the IN SCBWI conference, Universal Truth: Finding Common Ground in Diverse Characters. It was a great! The conference opened Fri night w/a talk from the keynote speaker, Sudipta Bardhan- Quallen. She was hilarious as well as inspiring.



These are several of her picture books that I would like to read.






I sat up near the front, and was mortified when I had to stand up for acknowledgement as a volunteer. I wasn't expecting that! Afterward I went back to my room and talked to the hubby and kidlet on the phone, and then got some writing in before bed. The next day, guess what?! I got my toast.



After breakfast was a full day of classes. The highlights on Sat (for me) was Sudipta's and Rachel Orr's talk. 



It was nice to see behind the curtain on an author/agent relationship. Rachel Orr also gave a great presentation called Developing Your Secondary Characters. I was thrilled when she used two excerpts from one of my favorite middle grade books, Three Times Lucky. Then the next class I enjoyed the most was Skila Brown's How To Read Like a Writer. She is a fantastic speaker! Engaging and funny and thought-provoking.



She also spoke at the end of the day about diversity (and she's provided the handout here), and it was once again so good. Some people are just so easy to listen to-- she's one of them! 

Then Saturday night instead of staying in and writing, I had a night out on the town with my husband, who came up to keep me company. We went to nearby Bloomington, home of college kids galore (Bloomington is where IU is located). I swear half of them looked like they weren't old enough to have graduated high school, let alone be attending college. We ate, got ice cream, bought the kidlet's bday present, and saw a movie. It was nice!

Sunday I got up and chatted with Shannon Alexander at breakfast (who took pity on me sitting alone and invited me over), attended the last class of the day and then it was time to go home. So another successful conference!


This was The Turtle in the Lobby. He had feedings on Sun at 11:30 a.m. I am sorry I missed it.

And thanks to Sam Taylor, who provided me with the pictures of Sudipta and Rachel Orr!

31 comments:

  1. Hey you! Yea you! Lol been thinking about ya and decided to visit this blog and see what you have been up to lately. Sounds exciting and busy, but kinda lonely... In a hotel by yourself?? Oh who am I kidding we all need a little time to ourselves once in a while. And I am sure you deserved it! Hope your little man had a wonderful birthday! Time is flying by! Take care! Love sent your way~Shanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some time by myself was nice, but I was also glad that Nicholas came up. =) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. omg cute little turtle! so glad you had fun, and kidlet's bday went well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turtle's actually given me a picture book idea!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to another conference in just a few months and I am SO EXCITED! Writing conferences are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good time and got your toast :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like it was a fun time. Yay for having fun and cool they made you stand up. :D Things like this wouldn't be possible without people like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose this is true... =) I was just worried about having a massive maxi dress wedgie when I stood up, lol! (did I just admit that out loud...eep)

      Delete
  6. I need to get to a conference. It's been too long. Looks like you had a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you managed to get the toast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toast is very important. Esp. with a great deal of butter, as Mercy Watson would say.
    I've never met Sudipta but her books are hilarious. I hated parting with them when we moved. I just went to her website ... and she mentions that she's alone. Did her husband pass away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercy Watson... Is that one of Kate DiCamillo's series? I love her! And I'm not sure, though that would be so sad.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a really great conference! (And toast! :) I'm glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you were able to pack in so much! And that your husband joined you for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds wonderful and inspiring. I love the idea of a "Pirate Princess" - I bet that's a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds super cute, and it's illustrated by Jill McElmurry, so even better!

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad you had such a great time! Sounds like a lot of good classes, too. And you got your toast!! What more could a girl need? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing! Except maybe some cream cheese... ;)

      Delete
  13. Glad you had fun - and toast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you had fun at the conference, Leandra! I get so much out of conferences, and am already looking forward to our upcoming Carolinas conference in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Carolinas one sounds like a really great one. My cp, Kristin Smith, has gone to that one before.

      Delete
  15. The food pics made me salivate a little (because it's breakfast and I haven't eaten and now I'm starving). Sounds like you had a grand time! I need to carve out a weekend or two a year to participate in these amazing conferences. I'm glad to hear you were able to get some writing even, even in the late hours. I'm a day writer, myself. But occasionally, my brain is kind enough to let me write later in the evenings. LOL Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great if you could go to a conference! I have a hard time in the evenings too, can't count how many times my eyes are drooping and my head's nodding- it doesn't make for every productive writing evenings, that's for sure!

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!