Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Kidlet's 3rd Birthday Party


So you all have heard me talk about being excited for the kidlet's birthday, mention buying his present, and now, finally, it's the birthday post! First, let me say, one day I will have a get together at my house that is smooth sailing. I will have the house clean for hours before everyone shows up, the food is done, and I graciously stand at the door welcoming everyone.

Reality: I'm frantically picking up stuff off the carpet b/c I ran out of time to vacuum (thankfully my husband got the living room done); I went to put the jalapeno corn muffins in the oven-- and realized I'd forgotten to preheat it; I jumped in the shower about five minutes before the first guest arrived. Oh, not to mention that the first birthday cake was a disaster and I had to make a second one. *wonk-wonk*

But in the end, it all came together, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, especially the kidlet. His two best buddies were there: Raylee, and his cousin, Carson.


As you can see, the theme was robots. And these are the toppings for the white chicken chili I made. 


Every robot needs Cog Juice to run on!


Cream cheese dill pickle appetizers, in neat dishes that reminded me of gears. 


I made the robots out of construction paper, stick glue, and bamboo skewers. When the party was over I couldn't bring myself to throw them away, so they're now propped against the back glass of the kidlet's fish tank. I'm sure the cichilds are fearing robot domination at any moment.


Huffing and puffing! He ended up having to get a boost up from Mama to get his candle out.


Posing in front of the loot. Normally, he doesn't have scabs on his face. When I was out of town the weekend before at the writing conference, his grandpa took him fishing. And kinda forgot the sunscreen... He blistered up. =( But it's all better now!


Eating cake with Ray-Ray.


The book you see in the pictures is Power Down, Little Robot by Anna Staniszewski. And it is such a cute read! I love all the robot references in it: Mom Unit, error messages, brushing cogs. It's a fun book that takes the much done avoiding bedtime routine and puts a fresh spin on it. I highly recommend it. Plus, there's a Goodreads giveaway going on for it right now! {Ending 4/1/15}

So, let's talk: Does anyone remember any of the themes from their own birthdays growing up? (I might have had several horse cakes...) Or what are the birthday themes your kidlets are asking for?

37 comments:

  1. Super cute! (Even if you were feeling frazzled!) My family was never huge on birthdays, so while we did have a cake growing up, we didn't have themes. But they always looked super fun! For my kiddo, his three year old party had a pirate theme :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And ooh, pirates! I'm hoping I get to do that as a theme one year, they could be alot of fun (thinking of ideas already...).

      Delete
  2. A second cake? Oh no! I probably would have gone to the grocery store at that point. Glad the kidlet had lots of fun!

    I think most of my birthday parties were Disney themed since their animated movies usually came out in the summer and my birthday was in August. I remember the store didn't have a Lion King cake, though, so we put my little toys on top of a sheet cake. I do remember having a luau themed party, too, and that was lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the funfetti cake hadn't turned out, it was definitely going to be a store bought cake after that! I loved Lion King (and had a Pride rock playset) so that cake would have rocked in my opinion. =)

      Delete
  3. It looks like he had a great time anyway! Cake looks good. Doubt your son noticed stuff on the floor. In fact, I bet he added to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the party was lots of fun!

    We didn't do themes for birthdays when I was a kid, back in the Cretaceous era. But for my Sweet 16, I had a Parisian theme, with red-white-and blue flowers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisian, nice! Sweet 16's are always memorable.

      Delete
  5. A robot theme party?!!! That is very, very cute and the smiles prove it!!!
    I only had one birthday party ever when I turned 8 and we were taking care of a neighbor's dog and I remember playing musical chairs and the dog running wild and chasing everybody. It was really fun. Thank goodness it was all outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like a good time. That's one nice thing about having birthdays in the warmer months, being able to take it outside. It's usually still too nippy here. =(

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, this made me so happy! The cuteness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad! Robots are pretty awesome. And so is your book! =)

      Delete
  7. How fun. Wow. Three already. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! Especially when kids come on the scene.

      Delete
  8. So so cute! I love your party pictures so much. You have a true gift!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Other ppl do way better than me, but I have fun with it.

      Delete
  9. You did such a good job! Party planning isn't a strength for me, so I always like seeing cool parties that other people put together. And those robots look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do have an attachment to those robots, prolly cuz they were a bit of a pain to make. =)

      Delete
  10. AWWW! Sounds like a fantastic party and looks like your son enjoyed himself! He is totally gorgeous, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think so too, but, yanno, I'm totally biased. =D

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness this is just too adorable!! I kinda want you to do my birthday party now :) On a random side-note, my grandmother once told me that I should never bother really cleaning before having people over, because it's better to wait until they've left and you already have to clean up. I think that every single time I stress about vacuuming ten minutes before people show up ;) As for my own parties as a kid, we had a donkey that was a much-loved feature at all my parties (even if he *hated* being ridden). Somehow I only remember the times when Harry (said donkey) would make a break for it--usually with a kid or two in tow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, wise grandma! =) And that donkey sounds awesome, lol! I would have loved that as a kid. Harry the Birthday Party Donkey... ;)

      Delete
  12. Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if I had themes for my parties. I can't remember any. Looks like the robot party was a success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't...this is TOO AWESOME. Parenting WIN right here ;) my fav themes were always my dance parties!! My parents had one of the assistants from my dance school come and teach routines to me and my friends in my living room. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot, a win to all my fails, lol! And that sounds like something fun that girls would love.

      Delete
  14. We only had birthday parties every other year. It was just too much for my parents otherwise. And we didn't really do themes. Just gatherings with friends and family. Though for our 16th b-day my parents rented a giant hot tub for all our friends (this was in Feb)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first year he's had a friend over, we always just do family otherwise. I like to keep it small and personal- also so I don't have to break the bank feeding everyone! =) And that was an awesome sweet 16 rental!!

      Delete
  15. So cute! I love all the pictures! I've never read that robot book which is kinda amazing considering how many books we own! I'll have to check it out.

    Let's see, the parties my boys have asked for: Frozen, Thomas the train, Diego, Octonauts, Army, Scooby-Doo...I feel like I'm missing some! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do awesome at parties, so I bet all those were amazing! Octonauts sounds like it could have a lot of fun elements, w/all the sea creatures you could focus on. And w/five boys, I bet you are missing some, lol!

      Delete
  16. We've done Angry Birds, Pirates, Legos, and Cars for themes. Most of our parties are just family with a few buddies, but we have a LOT of family in the area!
    Legos was the one with the best minor disaster. We tried to make Lego head cake pops with strawberry cake (kid's choice) but the yellow icing turned out runny and transparent, so they looked more like raw meatballs dipped in egg yolk than tasty deserts. Had to make a backup cake that year, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, ew! But I bet they still tasted good. I love cake pops, I should try them someday, though they sound a little intimidating...

      Delete
  17. Very cute!! He is getting so big! Looks like he had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just loved you birthday party theme. I was also looking for some great idea on my son’s 7th birthday party theme. Please give some good recommendations according to the party halls in Los Angeles I have hired.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!