Saturday, April 4, 2015

Author Stop: Vijaya Bodach

Add to Goodreads

I'm super happy to welcome the super sweet Vijaya Bodach to the blog today! Doesn't this cover just make you smile?

1. You write children's non-fiction, picture books, and fiction for young adults(and perhaps mg as well?). Do you identify more with one than the other, or do you consider yourself a jack of all trades?

I wish I were a jack. That’s the ultimate goal, to be good enough to tackle anything I set my heart to, and in a way, each project teaches me something about writing. But I am most comfortable with nonfiction – it comes easily to me. The story is already there; it seems just a matter of deciding what to shine the light on, what to focus on, what elements to bring together. Fiction is a whole new can of worms, but it’s where I am trying to chew on a problem and trying to make sense of something, usually something about human nature. But what an incredible journey it is – because it is about self-discovery as well.

2. While writing Ten Easter Eggs, did you observe bunnies for research (or eggs...?)?

Not bunnies. But I have observed many fertilized eggs hatch and I used to have a pet chicken, so I drew upon my memories and of course, books and the Internet.

3. What is a fav Easter treat you like to find in your basket?

Books and chocolate – preferably Belgian. Living in Belgium spoiled me forever.

4. Do you have any advice for aspiring picture book writers?

Of course! Read lots of them to children. Only the best. Then, type up in manuscript format to see what they look like, how they flow. You’ll be quite surprised what’s actually in the text, how spare and poetic they can be.

5. What is a fav line(s) from Ten Easter Eggs?

Two chicks open downy wings.
It brings back such sweet memories of holding my chick. I was its mother.

Thanks for having me Leandra! Wishing you and all your readers a very happy Easter!!!

* * * 

Great advice, Vijaya! And I like your Easter basket pics. Speaking of treats, everyone who comments will be entered into the giveaway for a $5 Amazon gift card. Please just remember to follow Vijaya at one or more of her social media sites.{Winner will be announced via comments on 4/8} 


Vijaya Bodach is the author of many books for both children and adults. She lives in South Carolina with her family.


Amazon | B&N

Watch each Easter egg hatch as you count down from 10!

Ten eggs.
All is quiet. Not a peep.

Nine eggs.
One chick hatches. "Cheep, cheep, cheep."

In this sweet story, clever die-cuts, touchable plastic pieces, and fuzzy flocking all come together in a rhyming adventure all about Easter traditions. Follow and count along as ten quiet Easter eggs become ten colorful chicks ready to celebrate the holiday! A fun, engaging novelty story just right for the littlest of readers.

11 comments:

  1. How adorable! We got to raise chicks in an incubator back in elementary school, and it was the most magical thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing Vijaya lots of success with this fun book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls love this story, and have been wishing we had a rooster so our eggs could hatch, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you and Happy Easter all. It's so much fun to have Ten Easter Eggs featured here! And baby chicks are the cutest, so are baby bunnies. Baby babies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect post for Easter. Wishing Vijaya much success with her lovely book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pet chicken--how fun!! There's nothing cuter than a baby chick :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! Perfect post for Easter. Such a cute cover! Hope you and the family had a blessed and wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments everyone! After consulting a random number generator the winner of the gift card is Jessica Lawson! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much! Happy Easter to all.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!