Friday, April 17, 2015

Friday Five

I have not done one of these in awhile, so here we go!

1. I have resolved to start walking 2-3 times a week. I need to get active someway, and walking seems like a great way to start. Plus, I can take the kidlet along, so there you go. 

(This is the library. I personally really dislike that sculpture...)

2. I got a library card! Yes, I do have a library card to my hometown library, but this library card is for the neighboring library one town over. Which has a conference room that I'd like to reserve for a SCBWI critique group meeting that I'm tentatively planning on trying to host. #wishmeluck #i'venevertriedtodosomethinglikethisbefore (umm...are hashtags that long even allowed IRL?)

3. I hate endings. I'm rewriting the ending to my YA dystopian, and it is kicking my butt. I think I finally figured out the twist needed to get myself going on it, once and for all. But I've been avoiding and wrestling it so long, that I've gotten in the habit of avoiding and wrestling it. Does that even make sense?

4. I got a rejection on a short story that's been a bit of a bummer. It's one of those where you really felt like it would've been a great fit. Plus, I really liked this short story-- there were several references to Benjamin Franklin, and I am a fan of that man. But I enjoyed writing it and it came pretty easily to me, so that's a win right there. #lookonthebrightside

5. And lastly, I'm almost done  reading FIREFIGHT by Brandon Sanderson. It's the second book in his The Reckoners series (the first being STEELHEART) and WHOA! Are these books good!! They feature superheroes called Epics, except they're not good superheroes. Receiving powers has made bad. Like kill you without a morsel of regret bad. Read them, you won't be disappointed. 

So that's it for me! What have you all got going on this Friday? 

22 comments:

  1. Sorry about the rejection. :( They can be rough.
    I can't even look at the word "ending" right now! I'm trying to rewrite the last third of my WIP and I just don't even know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rough, isn't it? I keep telling myself if I keep at it, I'll tough it out eventually. =)

      Delete
  2. I keep meaning to pick up that series by Sanderson - he writes so much though that I can barely keep up with whatever he publishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's an amazing- and prolific- writer! I really liked his Mistborn trilogy too.

      Delete
  3. Oh, and sorry about your rejection. Those are never fun when they seem like a perfect fit :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the short story. But you never know. Don't give up on it. Someone else might want it, or it might inspire an even greater story from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good stuff, even the rejection ... because it means you're one step closer to the right editor.

    I'm happy it's Friday. Did a lot of errands, most importantly, getting the car fixed. Such a glam life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I have one of those glam lives too! =)

      Delete
  6. Hi Leandra! I think it's super wonderful that you're thinking of hosting an SCBWI event. I didn't know we could do that! Neato. Sorry about that short story R. :/ Boo/hiss! Not doing much tonight. Hubby and son are watching JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, and I'm just piddling around. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I ran it by my regional coordinator and she was alright w/it! Good movie, haven't seen it in a long time. Roald Dahl is the best!

      Delete
  7. yay for walking!
    Mr. Cate and I used to be regular joggers, but work has been piling up, and we've been very, very bad about getting out and moving around enough.
    But Friday was date night. Yay again - went to our favorite wine bar and then theater to see the new Noah Baumbach movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to be motivated to get up and moving when you're stressed about work. And I love date nights, so nice to get out and feel like normal human beings. ;)

      Delete
  8. boo on the rejection! But at least you enjoyed writing it, that's the best feeling no matter what! I love walking ,and now that it's nice it's just a joy. Also, I'm sure you'd be a great host. That sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We walked to a park around the corner this evening. I spread out a blanket and looked up at the blue blue sky. It was wonderful! And-- listen to this-- I found $50 dollars!!!! I feel like the luckiest girl in IN tonight. =)

      Delete
  9. My daughter and I started walking a few times a week too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect for it right now. Once it gets super hot, I might have more trouble sticking to it...

      Delete
  10. Ah, I need to start walking too! Maybe you've inspired me...

    I think it sounds like a great idea to get together an SCBWI critique group! Yay to you for taking the bull (er, manuscript?) by the horns! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep submitting, you'll get there. And YAY for walking and library cards!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much fun stuff! Walking is so great--especially for exploring with kids :) And that is definitely an interesting sculpture... ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!