Monday, April 27, 2015

Monday Ramblings...

Once I get my lazy bum motivated, I am headed to the courthouse. I got a ticket last week for going too fast. *sad aggravated-at-myself face* I was headed to work, and the kicker? I wasn't even running late! I just like going fast... *makes reformed fast driver face* This is my first ticket in thirty years. Not too bad, I guess. 

I just finished re-reading The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing by Sheila Turnage. Seriously, guys, if you are fans of middle grade, READ THESE BOOKS!! The first in the series is Three Times Lucky. They feature adorable characters and are set in the South, one of my favorite settings. They are totally fabulous. Just...read them.
 

{This one comes out in October-- can't wait!}

There are so many gorgeous trees blooming in our area right now. I have decided that one day when I get my dream house (you know, the one you dream about after fantasizing about landing a six-figure mega-deal...), that I will only plant trees that bloom in the spring. We currently have maples, which I despise. De-spize. Those stupid whirly heli-copter gigs go everywhere. They clog up our gutters and sprout wherever they can get their devious sprouty roots to sink in.   

I just ran across this video by Jennifer Ellision. Short, sweet, and fun! Jennifer is the author of the YA fantasy, Threats of Sky and Sea. Also, keep watching past when her website shows up at the end of the video... =)  

25 comments:

  1. LOL rambling is good. I got a speeding ticket once. Actually, I probably should have fought it but I didn't want anyone to find out so I just paid it :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm paying it too, boo. =( But I'm going to sign up for that deferral program they have, which means absolutely no speeding for a year for me. *gulp*

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I do believe that you are, most certainly- or at least probably- quite correct in what you said...which was what again? ;)

      Delete
  3. My only ticket ever (speeding, parking, anything) was for traveling 47 mph in a 45 mph zone. Except, that school lights happened to be flashing. So the limit was actually 15 at that particular moment. I had to go to a hearing, where I presented my squeaky clean record, graciously accepted the points, and paid the fine. Nevertheless, the guy behind the table spoke to me as if I'd held up a liquor store and shot the clerk. He took away my license for 60 days. I was humiliated and had to get a co-worker to drive me to work.

    My (now) husband says I should have fought it. Even taking it down to 45 instead of 47 would have enabled me to keep my license. But I didn't know him then. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's horrible! I think I'll just take my speeding story and be thankful. My knees would be shaking if I'd had to go to a hearing! And no license would be a disaster for me. I just cringe every time that I think about our insurance going up, which is probably going to happen...*sigh*

      Delete
  4. Don't go dissing my national symbol! ;-) Seriously, though, we had mini maple trees growing on our flat roof--a major pain.

    Spring trees are lovely, but make their own messes. Magnolias, for example, bloom for one week--I think this is the week--and then drop their flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I have no prob w/the leaf- it's their pesky little children. =D Magnolias are gorgeous! But I do imagine their flowers once dead are kinda a pain.

      Delete
  5. Ha ha - the end of the video is great :) Sorry about your ticket. Not a bad track record though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! Seems like something that would happen to me, so I loved it. And thanks... though it's all ruined now. =(

      Delete
  6. Oh, you speed demon you! Once a policeman stopped me for speeding and he made me so nervous, I wanted to get away him so he pulled me over again. I had myself a good cry first before leaving to give a talk (it was about 3-4 hours away).

    I really enjoy Southern fiction. Better yet, live it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would to experience it! =) And that's a bummer of a pull over story!

      Delete
  7. Ha! The glasses/necklace fumble is classic me :) I'm speeding paranoid, so I drive w/in the speed limit, but got caught on a rolling stop at a stop sign once :)

    I love Sheila Turnage books :) Sent her a gushy fan letter once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! She's definitely worth lots of gushes. =) I need to become speed paranoid- doing better lately!

      Delete
  8. I got a speeding ticket on I-84 in NYS. Doing 84mph.
    I want to dive into those book covers and live there. They're so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's coincidental, heh! And, yes, I love them.

      Delete
  9. Cute video and I LOVE her bed! We're still waiting for our little spring Magnolia tree to bloom, such a late season this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it pretty? I hope it does for you!

      Delete
  10. Got to love the blooper at the end. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I like the sounds of those stories. And the video was great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did she manage to do that with her glasses? lol! Loved the video though--so true! And I'm sorry about your ticket, that sucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it a cool metaphor? And thanks, guess it is what it is. *sigh*

      Delete
  13. What BEAUTIFUL covers. I've been staring at them for the last five minutes! I'm going to mentor MG this year and I need to read some great new books in the category, so this is a timely post. Thanks for the recommendations, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!