Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder Movie Recap

I was super excited when I got this Publisher's Weekly email last week.


I like movies, and so when the literary world is also incorporated, I get super excited! And plus it was about food! I made sure I recorded it the day before, and later on Saturday after watching The Kentucky Derby (yay, American Pharoah! *also, I have not misspelled his name. Oops...*) and getting the kidlet to bed, we settled back in.

Ready. Set. Relax.


{Here you have my beverage of choice. Water. So...plain. And un-vanilla-ly.}

{It's starting! What you cannot see is my thumb pointing at the screen. I swear I'm not about to punch you.}

And... it was okay.

Don't get me wrong, it was cute, and I liked Sam's quirkiness, but it had some major cheese in it. We didn't even watch all of it, turning it off about halfway (my hubs was so relieved). But I did go and finish it later on my own. The back and forth banter between Sam and the detective was fun. I also had a serious case of hair jealousy when it came to Sam's perfect spiral curls. Also, her house. It was decorated so cute!!

I would like to try out this series sometime (there's 18 so far! *TBR pile groans threateningly*), as I do like culinary cozies. And I'm pretty sure the book is better than the movie (as we readers know). Here are two of the covers out of the series that I really like:





There's also a website you can go to if you ever wanted to do a culinary mystery party (found here.) I loved checking this out, it made my book loving/planning get together's heart happy. Though I highly doubt I'll ever throw a Joanne Fluke one, I would like to have a book themed dinner party one day. I would consider it the epitome of my book-nerd status (while my husband would just consider it plain nutty, heh!).

Okay, so there you have it. If you plan on checking out this Hallmark movie, I wouldn't go into it expecting a masterpiece. But if you expect cute with a bit of cheese and lots of yummy desserts to look at, then this will be it!

Do ya'll have any books to movies you recommend? Or major bummers that disappointed you?

Oh, and one last thing before I go, Laura Diamond's ZODIAC COLLECTOR is on sale for just $2.99!!


For almost-16 year-old Anne Devans, the annual Renaissance Faire means three things--her dad spending weeks in the smithy, her bipolar mom doing some manic costume making, and another ruined birthday for her and her twin sister, Mary.

This year, Anne wants things to be different, and she's going to do things her way. On the eve of the Faire, Anne, along with a reluctant Mary, conjures up a spell that will make their 16th birthday party a whirlwind event. Little do they know that it's a literal request.

After the mini tornado in their room subsides, the girls realize they've invoked the power of the Gemini Twins, Castor and Pollux. That's the good news. The bad news is they also caught the attention of a sorceress named Zeena who has been collecting children born under each Zodiac Sign to enhance her power. Once she captures Anne and Mary, Gemini twins, the entire Zodiac, and the world, will be hers.

Anne leads the fight against Zeena, but her one-sided decisions could throw them into a world so far from home, even the Renaissance Faire would seem like a brilliant vacation. Between managing their new Zodiac powers, dodging their manic mother and trying to stop Zeena, they'll get a 16th birthday they'll never forget.

33 comments:

  1. I like the concept of this series. I have no doubt the books are better than the movies. ;) That's always the case in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love it when food is featured in a big way in books. =)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I think I would have been skeptical as soon as I saw the movie was made by Hallmark. But I'm glad you liked it in a campy sort of way. As for a television-book-transformation I'm looking forward to, I want to see the BBC production of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell coming to BBC America next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I gave it too much benefit of the doubt, lol! And hadn't heard of that one yet, but BBC is always really good.

      Delete
  3. 18 books, I don't think my TBR pile could handle that without throwing in the towel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I say I want to try the series out (and I do) but I know realistically, it probably won't be in the next two years. Oh, who am I kidding? Five!

      Delete
  4. Shame the movie didn't live up to your hopes for it.

    My major book to movie disappointment is that no one has made a move from one of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good one! That's definitely a dream of mine, to see a book make it to the big screen. Well, first it needs to be a book... =)

      Delete
  5. How disappointing. I think I would love to have a book theme dinner party too! Sounds like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? All the neat decorations to come up with, and the menu...So much fun!

      Delete
  6. I suspect the books are better than the movies--there are very few movies that are able to capture the books perfectly. I have long been a fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, and am happy with the tv series adaptation so far, even though there are a few key differences. (For the record, the books are not the "bodice rippers" that the tv series is advertised as--the books are very well written and even literary, and cross over into many genres.) Galbaldon is a fabulous writer and is a consultant for the series, so I think that is why it is going so well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read those, but I have watched some of Outlander, and its made me want to read them. I love the intro for the series, that song it plays is amazing! And the countryside is gorgeous.

      Delete
    2. If you like the show, you will LOVE the books. Gabaldon is right up there with JK Rowling when it comes to characterization, plot twists, great writing, etc..

      Delete
  7. I am so fussy about my cozies. I'm not into the culinary ones as much as I am into the quirky protagonist ala Hamish Macbeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, fussy about cozies! You know me and my food... ;)

      Delete
  8. Sorry it was cheesy.
    The best book to movie adaptation I've ever seen is the LOTR trilogy. The movies are better than the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read those, but I do love the movies. Great fantasy!

      Delete
  9. Your slippers look so comfortable. Just saying.

    Always such a bummer when you're let down by movies, especially those based on books!! I'm not particularly looking forward to any books-turned-movies at the moment...though I'd love to see more Narnia movies. I think another one might be in the works? Those have been awesome so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I got them for Christmas from my in-laws. =) And yes! I love the Narnia movies. They do great battle scenes.

      Delete
  10. Great cover for The Zodiac Collector!

    Sorry to hear the movie wasn't as good as you wanted it to be, but it is awesome that you still want tor read the books. That says something. Sounds like you will have a lot of cozy mysteries to read. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good cover! And at 18, yes. Yes, I will. =D

      Delete
  11. Something tells me your husband and mine would get along very well ;) And why is it that Hallmark movies always seem to overdo the cheese? The books look fun though--I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! And don't they? It's like a standard they must uphold, lol!

      Delete
  12. Heh, those sound like some pretty sweet books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember Alison Sweeney from "Days of Our Lives." I loved that series when I was younger. (Much younger! lol) Well, at least you got to see it, even if it was a trifle disappointing. I've had the same experience. Sometimes what I'm dying to see disappoints, but on the other hand, something I run across by accident turns out to be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ol' soap operas! I used to watch them at my grandma's. =) And yes to that list bit!

      Delete
  14. Yeah...I had a feeling they would up the cheese factor. They always do on that channel! I probably would avoid watching the movie out of fear it would make me not like the book if I hadn't read it yet. Sounds like a great book series, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it's morning, and the blueberry cover is making me want a warm blueberry muffin!

      Delete
  15. Now I feel like some chocolate chip cookies! :) Typically books to movies don't work, even when the books sound as fun as these ones. Just like the Stephanie Plum film which was horrible when the books are a riot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with the LOTR comment. To Kill a Mockingbird is also a wonderful book to movie adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This made me want cookies. like NOW. And I love Alison Sweeney! She's been on celebrity Wheel of Fortune so many times :) I wish I knew of a single book to movie I actually liked. I can honestly say I've been disappointed EVERY time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read part of the series by Fluke and the books are entertaining. This movie was so good! I think casting did a great job choosing Alison Sweeney. Such a great little actress people loved and hated for years on Days of Our LIves!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!