Monday, June 22, 2015

Ready. Set. Write! Week 3


Ready.Set.Write! is a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, Erin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij. Every Monday participants share how they're doing in reaching their goals for the summer. To see a full list of participants, go here.

1. How I did on last week's goals: 50/50. I got 72 pages of hard copy edits in, when my goal was 60, so hit that. My word count goal on my WiP was 8K and I hit 4,711. *sad face*

2. My goals for this week: To write 5,500 on my WiP. And another 60 pages of hard copy edits into the computer.

3. A favorite line from my story: There’s so much to see, the memories coming quickly and leaving just as fast, while more bloom simultaneously. At some point, Shane draws me down beside him. Hands intertwined, we lie on the roof and watch the memories play across the sky.

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week: Motivation was the biggest. I just wanted to surf Goodreads, and look at publisher submission pages, and stare at pretty author websites. My second challenge was the fact that I'm nearing the middle of my WiP. And that means I'm figuring out some of my earlier 'rules' for my necromancy world aren't working and need changed. Which meant on some of my writing days, I was confused on how to go forward, so...{pulls up pretty author website!} What actually helped me pull out of it was to jump forward and write a new scene, one I'd been looking forward to. And I usually NEVER write out of order. 

5. Something I love about my WiP: That it's set in a place I'll be visiting soon. New Orleans!! We leave at the end of the week for a trip there. So. Excited. There will be much beignet eating. All in the name of research, of course. *wink* So with that said, you all won't see me around for the fourth week of RSW! But I'll be back for Week 5, possibly with vacation pictures... 


18 comments:

  1. New Orleans! That sounds like a fun trip and like a wonderful setting for a necromancy book...:) You did great on your edits and you still added words :) I hear you on the middle of the novel and figuring things out the hard way. I'm currently working through scenes I didn't want to flesh out but clearly need flesh out and it's hhhhaaaard, because it changes something down the line too. But it's so necessary. We can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been a linear writer for the most part, but I have written out of order before for the same reasons you mentioned. If it helps with progress and figuring things out, go for it! And dude - sounds like you made AMAZING progress this week. Yeah, it wasn't your goal, but it's still A LOT. Good luck this week in achieving your goals!

    Love the excerpt, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like that line! It's very intriguing, makes me want to read more. :) Glad you managed to get your motivation in line too, it's funny how we get hung up on certain sections, isn't it? I had the same problem.

    4,711 words is still brilliant, even if you didn't meet your target there, but congratulations on exceeding your editing target! Good luck for this week and I hope your trip to New Orleans goes well. :) Looking forward to pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, that excerpt is so pretty. Love it. Glad writing out of order helped pull you out of your writing funk. Good luck wit your goals this week. And enjoy NO and all of the "research"! Sounds like so much fun. Travel safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lines you shared are beautiful! I get super distracted like that, too, when my WIP isn't cooperating. One thing I've found that works is writing non-stop for 30 min--no internet, no distractions. Even better if you have a fellow writer friend to have a friendly word-war with :). And New Orleans!! Can't wait to see vacation pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your lines so much :) and I am SO excited for you about New Orleans and all the beignets! have the BEST time <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this: "Hands intertwined, we lie on the roof and watch the memories play across the sky." Beautiful writing!

    Your goals are so sky high, and I am impressed with how much you accomplished! Also jealous of your New Orleans trip. We're going on vacay next week, but we're going to Michigan which is not nearly as exciting, lol. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great *research* trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to New Orleans, but I really want to see it one day! Have fun on your trip! It's always awesome to visit the place your story is set in. :-) Good job on your goals this week as well. You may not have gotten as many words down as you would've liked, but you kicked butt on your edits (and then some), so that's super productive! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm easily distracted, too. I really need to work on switching the internet OFF when writing. Enjoy your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. If jumping ahead worked, then that's all that matters. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Take a haunted ghost tour while you're in New Orleans! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know, Leandra. Looks to me like you made some amazing progress. I fully support your intention to apply careful research to any and all beignet you find during your trip. :-D Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have an amazing trip!! Pretty author pages are also my downfall. Why are they so pretty? WHY?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have fun on your trip! New Orleans is on my list of places to visit. For research, obviously ;P

    ReplyDelete
  16. 4711 isn't anything to be sad about!

    Hope your trip is going well!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!