Monday, June 15, 2015

Ready.Set.Write! Week 2


Ready.Set.Write! is a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime Morrow, Alison MillerKaty UppermanErin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij. Every Monday participants share how they're doing in reaching their goals for the summer. To see a full list of participants, go here.

1. How I did on last week's goals: I forgot to set goals last week to report on for this week, but I got in 3,690 words on my YA paranormal, and I got 20 pages of my hard copy edits into the computer. I got a bit derailed by writing an adult short story that has a bit of a literary twist (at least for me) and then also writing a picture book. With art notes and everything! It's not very good, but it's something I've wanted to do for awhile, so I did it. 

2. My goal(s) for this week: Write 8,000 words on the paranormal. Get in 60 pages of hard copy edits.

3. A favorite line from my story: 

Just a ghost dog and a ghost horse, keeping watch on a French Quarter street corner.

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week: My computer being broken until Wednesday. So I did most of my writing at work. I sit in front of a computer, so when I'm not helping members, I'm pecking away at a Word doc. I will admit, it is one of the perks to being in banking. =)

5. Something I love about my WiP: That the main character, Flannery Hale, has a limp. I've wanted to write a character with a limp for forever! As a kid I was fascinated by limps, and used to practice walking with one. Which I know is terrible. Now, all grown up, I am very grateful I do not have a limp. I just impose them on fictional people.

(And on a side note, today I'm celebrating my short story being published. There are cupcakes and a giveaway, which you can find here!)

44 comments:

  1. Wow. You've done a lot. A character with a limp is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Vrrooom!! =D Except my motor is not feeling very vrrooomy today... =/

      Delete
  3. Someone else who takes advantage of work time! (I blog instead of write though.) Eight thousand words - you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I could blog! Work blocks anything that even remotely looks like a good time though. Boo.

      Delete
  4. Holy moly you've accomplished a ton! And wahoo and congratulations on your story being published! That's so awesome! I need a job like that. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the line you shared, Leandra! It's all sorts of intriguing!
    You got so much done this week. Wow, you worked on four different projects this week. That's crazy and crazy awesome! Best of luck on meeting that 8K this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your publication and all the words you achieved this week! And so sorry about your computer. I hope it's all better now. :) Good luck this week! I'm cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's all better too! So far, so good. And thanks!

      Delete
  7. Damn, girl! You did awesome this week! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a stellar job this week, especially considering you forgot to set goals! Way to go! That stinks about your computer breaking, but I'm glad it's up and running again. Good luck with your goals, and I hope you don't have anymore technical difficulties! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! That is awesome! Also having a character with a limp is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got a lot done, even with a broken computer! And I love that your character is named Flannery and has a limp :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a limp myself, and love creating characters with limps or leg injuries. That gave me all the firsthand research I ever could've asked for regarding knowing how to accurately write the pain of a leg injury and the terror and nervousness of starting to walk again. Eerily enough, two of my characters had limps written into their stories long before I got my own limp. It were almost as if I knew, even before I knew.

    The protagonist of my current WIP has more than just a limp, given his health condition, and needs to limit his mobility and stay in bed or a chair for much of the time while recovering from an injury. Thank God I don't have hemophilia, but I can relate a lot better to his frustrations now than when I was originally writing this story 19 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for your troubles, Carrie-Ann. That would be super hard! And that is eerie!

      Delete
  12. Love the line from the story, very interesting. And it's good to start your goals now, last week you did good though and now know where to pace them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have bit off more than I can chew this week, but go down trying, right? ;)

      Delete
  13. Boo to broken computers, but yay to being able to write at work. I have to admit to having snuck in a little writing from time to time. I can't have a single moment in the day when I'm not doing something, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yay for it! Or my word count would go way down, lol. =)

      Delete
  14. Having a limp... wel, I pity your characters. I don't like mine at all. That said, I love your sample line.

    And yes... I really love that you just went and wrote that story you'd been wanting to write. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your short story being published! That's so awesome! And I love that you wrote a picture book. I've had a picture book idea in the back of my mind for the last year and I have no idea where to go with it. I wish I had time to research it! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picture books make me so nervous, b/c I love them so much. I was always afraid to attempt it, but figured I'd just go ahead and jump in. =)

      Delete
  16. Super awesome congrats on your short story! And that's awesome how much you got done this week. Wishing you a very productive week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been...going...so far. =/

      Delete
  17. Eek! A broken computer? I'm so sorry. That's the worst--but you totally rocked it word-count wise. I wish I could say I'd done that much. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you also have all kinds of energy going into taking care of a newborn. So hats off to you, ma'am!

      Delete
  18. Hehe. I like the line. :) Good luck with this week's goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a great line! And the limp is intriguing. Best of luck tackling your 8K!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the short story! That's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ooh, love it, you're doing great! and I LOVE that line!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds like you're coming right along! You can make the 8,000 this week, I know you can!! *cheers from the background* Go, go, go!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!