Monday, June 22, 2015

Your Questions Answered! (By a Nice British Author)


Author Mike Revell is back, and with answers. Thanks to all who submitted a question-- you'll find your reply below!


Kristen: What is your hidden talent? Something you're good at that most people wouldn't know?

Hmm... what a good question! I wish I had something quirky, but alas not. I'm not too bad at art, although I haven't drawn anything properly for around nine years. I'd love to try making picture books or comics though.


Tiana: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

To make yourself a promise: never give up. So many good books wouldn't be around if the author gave up when an earlier story was rejected. Even though Stonebird is my first published book, it's the third one I've written. The other two were rejected by everyone. Keep writing, even when it's hard, and keep finishing stories and keep sending them out, and never give up.


Kimberly: What's your favorite American TV show?

Game of Thrones, without a doubt. It's easily the best thing on TV! But it takes so long to get here, then vanishes in the blink of an eye. If not that, then probably something like Jimmy Fallon - I wish we had his show over here!


Beth Ellyn: What inspired you to write this particular story?

It was a bit of a collision between two different ideas. Whenever an idea pops into my head, I write it down in a notebook, and sometimes two or more fragments bump into each other and become something I never expected. My grandma had dementia for a long time, and I wanted to write about the importance of memories. But I also wanted to write about a gargoyle that came alive under the moonlight. Then I started wondering, if gargoyles can protect buildings from evil spirits, what else can they protect?


Suzanne: How long did it take you to write Stonebird?

The first draft happened very quickly. Probably around two months to write the majority of the book, because a lot of it was based on real experiences. But then there was about a year of editing, both with my agent and my editor, so I guess just over a year from first word to completely finished manuscript.


Kelly: What's the most interesting fact you learned about gargoyles while researching?

That not all gargoyles are actually gargoyles. Many of them are grotesques!


Vijaya: What is your personal connection with dementia and the gargoyle?

My grandma had severe dementia for many years, so I saw firsthand how it affected our family, and how we remembered more and more of her even as her own memories slipped away. By the end, when she wasn't really herself anymore, those memories were more important than ever. My interest in gargoyles really came about through the cartoon when I was a kid. I just thought it was so brilliant seeing these stone monsters erupting into life in New York.


Sioux: Who is your favorite Doctor?

Easily Matt Smith! I just thought he captured the madness perfectly, and his monologues were generally the most epic scenes I've seen on the show. Plus, bow ties are cool.


Marcia: Have you considered a sequel?

I don't think I'll write a sequel, purely because the story has always felt very standalone to me. My next book is similar in some ways, but very different in others. And after that, there are too many other ideas to dive into!
* * * 
And a big thank you to Mike, as well as best wishes for Stonebird and his writing career! 


When eleven-year-old Liam moves house to be closer to his grandma, he's thrown into an unfamiliar place, with a family that seems to be falling apart.

Liam doesn't remember what Grandma was like before she became ill with dementia. He only knows the witch-like old woman who snaps and snarls and eats her birthday cards. He desperately wants to make everything better, but he can't.

Escaping the house one evening, Liam discovers an old stone gargoyle in a rundown church, and his life changes in impossible ways.

The gargoyle is alive. It moves unseen in the night, acting out Liam's stories. And stories can be dangerous things . . .

But Grandma's illness is getting worse, Liam's mum isn't coping, and his sister is skipping school.

What if the gargoyle is the only thing that can save Liam's family?

21 comments:

  1. Great answers :) And thanks for taking the time to answer mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. man, i so so loved Disney's Gargoyles tv show. It was so great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two months for a first draft? That is amazing! I wish I could write a first draft that fast.

    I love gargoyles and will have to check out his book. :)

    Thanks for sharing these questions and answers, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for answering our questions. I will definitely read Stonebird in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mike and thank you Leandra for hosting. You are a sweetheart for doing all this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for 'research!' Have a blast on your vacation. And beautiful lines! I love the imagery you created. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoops! I meant to leave that comment on your RSW post this week but I'm having phone issues. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great questions. I know absolutely nothing about gargoyles, so I probably should read his book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent advice! It does seem that those who succeed are the ones with the determination to keep going, keep learning, keep writing!
    Stonebird looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for answering my question! It's great to meet a "nice British author!" And I love your advice to never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great questions and answers! Congratulations on your book, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for answering our questions, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great pitch for this story. Fascinating to read the Q&A and the pitch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man...what I would give to finish my novel in two months!! :) And p.s. the title of this blog cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great answers! Loved learning more about you and the story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this cover and the book sounds excellent. It was so gun to learn more about the author. Great advice to other authors about never giving up! :) Wishing Mike much success!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Mike! Liked reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woot, woot! I totally second Matt Smith. I mean, seriously, how do you get better than that? Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like an amazing book! I liked hearing about the background and the never give up was what I needed to hear. Congrats to Mike!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!