Monday, July 6, 2015

Ready. Set. Write! (Week 5)



Ready.Set.Write! is a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman,Erin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij. Every Monday participants share how they're doing in reaching their goals for the summer. To see a full list of participants, go here.


1. How I did on last week's goals: I was on vacation, so I didn't set any. But while I was on vacation, I figured out some plot issues and feel a lot more confident in my story because of it. So yay! And I also wrote down some ideas for a new story while on the airplane.

2. My goals for this week: No word count goals this time. Instead, I'm going to be going back and fixing the plot issues, so that I can go forward without feeling like I'm trying to beat my way out of a wet paper bag. 

3. A fav line from my story: This is just a simple line that I came up with while flying, as I was thinking of how I might describe all that empty space...down down down...when I looked out the window (yanno, something to distract yourself from the fear that the plane is suddenly going to turn into a free-falling tin can tube):

A million moments of nothing. 

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week: Self-doubt. How I'd get excited about my story and then think it didn't matter, because it was never going to be anything other than a document on my computer like the other two I've queried thus far. 

5. Something I love about my WiP: Memories. As a necromancer, Flannery gets an inside look at the past lives of spirits. And I think memories are super powerful things.


And as promised, here are some pics from my trip to New Orleans. If you'd like to see more, then swing by tomorrow-- I'm posting about the neat literary experience I had while in NOLA, along with five gazillion photos. (If you sign up for email notification, the post will show up right in your inbox!) 






P.S. One last thing! If you'd like the chance to win an Amazon gift card or an ecopy of an awesome paranormal Cinderella retelling, go here!

17 comments:

  1. I love your metaphor about the wet paper bag, as well as the line you shared! Your story sounds really interesting. I feel you on self-doubt. I often argue with myself about the choices I have made with certain stories. I usually win. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh - self doubt. Been there. Am there a lot. Keep pushing through!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh self-doubt. I'm sure we all feel that. All the time. I know I do.
    Hope you had an awesome vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're writing about necromancers? Yes! You know I'm a fan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the trip to NOLA was fun and productive! I love that line you came up with on the airplane. I feel you on the self-doubt. But don't let it sink in too much. You've got this! :) Good luck with fixing plot holes this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I be New Orleans was fun!
    At least you got a chance to work through some plot challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet New Orleans was a treasure trove of inspiration. Such a spooky town. One day, I'll get there. Welcome back! I missed ya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the line you shared! Great that you were able to sort out some plot-related things while on vacation. And SNIs are always awesome! I hear you on the self-doubt thing. I've pretty much set up camp there. :-/ I bet this New Orleans trip filled you with all kinds of inspiration. Hope this is a productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes taking a break is just what you need to get inspired! :) Your WIP idea sounds really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for figuring out plot issues! Send some of those problem solving skills my way, okay? I've been struggling with self-doubt a lot too--always do, but it's been especially bad lately and for exactly the reasons you said. It's so hard to invest so much time and effort and heart into something that may never go anywhere. Hang in there! I loved the line you shared. So simple, yet it really makes you think. Good luck fixing those plot holes this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pics! And yay for plot fixes coming to you on vacation :). Your story sounds fascinating! Hope you get to work on your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that line--a million moments of nothing. Nice! I was on vacation last week, too. Sometimes it's nice to get a break! Good luck this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you and I are both battling the self-doubt bug. :/ Querying and documents that just seem to be stuck forever in a computer can do that. BUT I also know it's a phase. Fortunately new characters and new stories and encouraging friends can help and I hope that this week is a productive and doubt-free one for you! Cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those photos, and that you took advantage of your vacation time to work out some story issues. Well done! Have a wonderful week, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your line! It's so beautiful. Oh and so is New Orleans! Can't wait to see all those photos. Have a great week full of writing more beautiful lines!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks beautiful. But now I'm going to be thinking that line on my plane now!

    Any chance you'll be at Midwest Writer's Workshop this year?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like an awesome trip!! And that's great that you figured out some plot issues :) Happy writing!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!