Ready.Set.Write! is a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman,Erin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij. Every Monday participants share how they're doing in reaching their goals for the summer. To see a full list of participants, go here.
1. How I did on last week's goals: I was on vacation, so I didn't set any. But while I was on vacation, I figured out some plot issues and feel a lot more confident in my story because of it. So yay! And I also wrote down some ideas for a new story while on the airplane.
2. My goals for this week: No word count goals this time. Instead, I'm going to be going back and fixing the plot issues, so that I can go forward without feeling like I'm trying to beat my way out of a wet paper bag.
3. A fav line from my story: This is just a simple line that I came up with while flying, as I was thinking of how I might describe all that empty space...down down down...when I looked out the window (yanno, something to distract yourself from the fear that the plane is suddenly going to turn into a free-falling tin can tube):
A million moments of nothing.
4. The biggest challenge I faced this week: Self-doubt. How I'd get excited about my story and then think it didn't matter, because it was never going to be anything other than a document on my computer like the other two I've queried thus far.
5. Something I love about my WiP: Memories. As a necromancer, Flannery gets an inside look at the past lives of spirits. And I think memories are super powerful things.
And as promised, here are some pics from my trip to New Orleans. If you'd like to see more, then swing by tomorrow-- I'm posting about the neat literary experience I had while in NOLA, along with five gazillion photos. (If you sign up for email notification, the post will show up right in your inbox!)
P.S. One last thing! If you'd like the chance to win an Amazon gift card or an ecopy of an awesome paranormal Cinderella retelling, go here!