Monday, July 13, 2015

Ready. Set. Write! (Week 6)


Ready.Set.Write! is a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman,Erin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij. Every Monday participants share how they're doing in reaching their goals for the summer. To see a full list of participants, go here.

1. How I did on last week's goals: Good! I went back and rearranged what I'd written so far, so the plot works much better now. I've got some mountainous revisions to tackle because of it, but I still feel good about it.


2. My goals for this week: Back to word count! And that is 4K. I keep striving for 5K and falling short, so I guess I need to lower the bar. =) Plus, keep entering hard copy edits into the computer (I'm under one-hundred, finally!).


3. A fav line from my story: I did manage some new words this week, so here's something:

It’s like stepping into a museum of natural history. Skeletons hang from the ceiling, suspended by thin wires: bats, birds, raccoons, rabbits, snakes, a large catfish. In between them are antique birdcages; some small enough to house a canary, others a family of healthy-boned parrots. Glass bottles filled with liquid line a wall of shelves, indistinct shapes floating in the murky water. 


4. The biggest challenge I faced this week: As always, time. There's never enough of it!


5. Something I love about my WiP: That there are mules in it. I adore their faces.


30 comments:

  1. I like that you're rearranging things already! I usually just ignore that sort of thing until the whole thing's written, but figuring it out early would be super helpful.
    Good luck with this week's word count!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a great feeling when you rearrange section and the plot starts to flow properly! Good luck with the revisions it's caused! And keep up the new words! The excerpt you shared is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE MULES...aaahh. You're killing it! I'm having a hard time with the nice weather. I need a rainy day or two in the summer to get anything done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the imagery from the excerpt you shared! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mules, I have never found them especially adorable, but with a face like that, I might change my mind. A 4k word count is nothing to scoff at. Maybe this week you'll surprise even yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about rearranging and finding yourself with a lot more work. Went through something similar this week. Love the the new words you wrote! Reminded me of a museum I visited in London once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take that comparison any day! =)

      Delete
  7. From the sounds of it, you tackle your WiP very similarly to how I do. I fiddle and tweak what I've written thus far before I can move on to further drafting. Hey, I guess it makes revisions a little less hairy, right? The lines you shared really create a picture for me. I can actually see what you're describing in my mind. :-) Have a great week, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love when ppl say they can see what I'm trying to convey. So thanks! =)

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you had a productive week! I love that you're reevaluating your goal to make it more achievable. I need to do that more often. The feeling of success really helps keep motivation up, at least for me. Good luck with the revising! Figuring out a story problem is always relieving. Fixing that problem can be a pain though :-/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad rearranging helped! Mules in it huh? Now I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rearranging can be so helpful, and sometimes waiting for revisions is just too late. Glad it helped and good luck this next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those moments when you're revising and everything just clicks into place. Hope this week goes well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma! And those are nice moments. =)

      Delete
  12. Progress is still progress, I always say. ;)

    I hear you on time -- why can't there be more than 24 hours in a day?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always impressed with how well you keep to your goals, Leandra. LOVE that mule!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an evocative excerpt, Leandra, I'm not sure whether I should be creeped out or not, but I certainly could 'see' the place well.

    And that is the cutest mule face.... You'd like the sweet gray donkey that lives down the road from us. Last week it was playing, kicking up its heels in the tall grass. So very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And aw, that would've been adorable to see! I always love to see animals playing just because.

      Delete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!