Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Three Questions with Author Lisa Schroeder (+ Swag!)




Your cover is gorgeous! I love the pink fading into orange, the font of the word now, and the silhouette of a bridge. What was your reaction when you first saw it?

Thanks - I love it too! This cover is actually the second one they came up with. The first one I wasn't thrilled with, to be honest, but as most people know, authors often don't get a lot of say in the cover. So when they came back with a new one a few weeks later, something I hadn't been expecting, and I opened the file, I was SO happy! Honestly, it's my favorite cover of my YA novels so far. My first cover without any people!! The trend seems to be going away from people on the cover, which is something I think is great. A teacher I know on twitter actually did a survey with her HS students recently, and the majority said they prefer covers without people. So yeah, I'm really happy it turned out this way.


Emerson is such a neat name. If our next child is a boy, I wanted to name him that (tho the husband is not a fan). How soon did you know Emerson's name? Was it immediate, or did it take a bit of searching?

It was immediate. Sometimes it just happens that way, which is so much nicer than stressing over it and changing it a hundred times. Like in I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME, Ava was always Ava. Sometimes you just know. The interesting thing, however, is that I didn't realize Emerson is primarily a boy name. I read the description of another upcoming YA novel, and one of the male characters is named Emerson. I kind of freaked out, to be honest. I'm like - did I name a girl character a boy's name? Is that weird I didn't know it was more of a boy's name than a girl's name? I don't know. BUT, we were standing in line to get ice cream this past weekend and the little girl in front of us was named Emerson. She was adorable. And I was happy because now I knew for sure it can be a boy's or girl's name. Whew! (The things authors stress over, I swear.)


The premise of All We Have is Now is what would you do with your life if you had 24 hours left to live. But there's a bit of wish granting in there too. If you could grant one wish for someone you knew in your life right now, what would it be?

Ahhh...wishes. I'm kind of obsessed with them. I love it when a story includes the idea of wishes and granting wishes and all of that. As far as one wish I could grant for someone, it would be a woman named Lacey who only know online. Her baby Tad was born with a rare condition called Pulmonary Vein Stenosis. He's been through multiple surgeries and has been in the hospital more than out of it for his short, little life. I wish he could suddenly be cured. I wish they had all the money in the world to pay off the bills. I wish for that baby boy to grow up big and strong and happy and with no medical problems. Every day she posts updates about him and my heart breaks a little each time. They've been through so much. I just really, really want a happy ending for little Tad and his family.

* * *

Lisa Schroeder is the author of more than a dozen books for kids and teens. Her latest young adult novel is ALL WE HAVE IS NOW, and the latest novel for 8-12 year olds is MY SECRET GUIDE TO PARIS. She lives in Oregon where she spends her time reading, writing, baking yummy treats, and hiking with her family.



What do you do with your last day on earth?

There are 27 hours and fifteen minutes left until an asteroid strikes North America, and, for Emerson and everyone else who didn't leave, the world will end. But Emerson's world already ended when she ran away from home last year. Since then she has lived on the streets, relying on her wits and her friend Vince to help her find places to sleep and food to eat.

The city's quieter now that most people are gone, and no one seems to know what to do as the end approaches. But then Emerson and Vince meet Carl, who tells them that he has been granting people's wishes. He gave his car away so a woman could take her son to see the ocean for the first time, and he gives Emerson and Vince all the money he has in his wallet.

Suddenly this last day seems full of possibility. Emerson and Vince can grant a lot of wishes in 27 hours --- maybe even their own.

* * *

Three random commenters will receive a signed bookmark and sticker! 


So what about you all? If you could grant one wish for someone else, what would it be? 
(I would wish for a bun in the oven for a close friend of mine.)

23 comments:

  1. Such a cute cover, I agree! Hmmm. I'd wish for everyone in my extended family to get along, because right now…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh, lol! Though in all sincerity that stinks. It's so much nicer when everyone's happy!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Lisa!
    As for wishes, I have a friend in France who's baby will be undergoing heart surgery at the end of this month. I'd like to wish for that surgery to be wildly successful and his recovery to be swift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous cover and love the blurb :) hmmm good question! right now I have a friend in the hospital suffering from the damages of anorexia she's suffered with basically her entire life...she's not doing great and I hope she pulls through and gets healthy again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor girl! Going on the wishlist too.

      Delete
  4. This is a great cover! I was excited about my newest cover for the same reason-no people! I like the new trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. My thing is cool typography. Give me a cover with that, and some great colors, and I'm in heaven. =)

      Delete
  5. This sounds like such an interesting story, and the cover is great! I have a lot of wishes I'd give to people, mostly that they'd find some peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful cover! I love the colors in it. And I do love it when girls have traditionally boy names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think Emerson is great for a boy or girl. Now to convince my husband... ;)

      Delete
  7. Lisa is such an amazing writer. I didn't know she had a new book out. The cover is gorgeous and I love the premise.
    One wish for someone? Oh, so many. A new baby for a dear friend, a complete cure for my friend who has cancer, a book deal for another friend. Oh yes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous cover!! And such a good premise, plus I love the name Emerson for a girl! I'm looking forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very intrigued in how ppl would act if they knew the world was ending. Definitely love that aspect of this!

      Delete
  9. Congrats Lisa!! :) That cover is truly beautiful. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to Lisa. I love the cover. I've read several of her books and it's great to see this new one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! Lisa is a fellow Aladdin M!x author, so cheering her on. I follow her on Twitter. I need to put this on my to-read list asap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And the swag winners are Kelly Hashway, Anna Soliveres, and Cherie Reich!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll ditto the cover compliments, looks great. Congratulations, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!