Monday, August 10, 2015

Ready. Set. Write! (Week 10)


Ready.Set.Write! is a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman,Erin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij. Every Monday participants share how they're doing in reaching their goals for the summer. To see a full list of participants, go here.


1. How I did on last week's goals: My goal was to hit 5K and I did it! 5063 was my total word count. And honestly, I wouldn't have done it without you all. I was behind going into the middle of the week and the temptation to give up was strong. But then I'd think of how many said I could do it and that I was going to hit it this week, etc., and I powered on through! *high fives all around*

2. My goals for this week: Why stop a good thing? 5K!

3. A fav line from my story: {Last week I said I loved that the bad guy was about to make an appearance. This is the first time he does!} 

I instinctively know this is the dark necromancer that’s made my life hell. There’s cool amusement in his eyes, and the hint of a smile playing across his lips. His sandy-colored hair is parted and slicked to the side like a model’s. One finely tailored arm is propped on his chair, and a fork spins between his fingers as he watches me. To my embarrassment, I jump when he abruptly slaps it back down beside his plate.
“Would you like to have a seat? The appetizers will be here shortly. Crab cakes.”
“What…what do you want with me?”
“Flannery, I am a man of many convictions, and one of those is that business should never be discussed over good food. We will eat, and then talk about what it is…I want with you.”
4. The biggest challenge I faced this week: Writing during the weekend. I was off, and on my days off, I rarely churn out many words. So this was different for me (I had to hit 1K both Sat and Sun to make my goal), but good! 

5. Something I love about my WiP: That I...got my inspiration board done! I bought several postcards and some actual photos while I was in New Orleans, and put those up first. Then this weekend I printed off more pics and got it all pinned up.  






The above is my first line.


This is a Dove chocolate wrapper that says: Stay up past your bedtime. Since necromancers work at night, it felt pretty perfect. 


Happy writing everyone!

15 comments:

  1. I am so intrigued by this WiP! I love the inspiration boards and I LOVE that excerpt! And so glad you were able to hit your goal this week. See - you CAN do it! And I just know you'll do it again. :) Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that excerpt is so good! And the inspirations board is so cool. Love it. Congrats on powering through and getting so many words done this week. Amazing! Hope you have another great writing week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that excerpt is brilliant! I want to find out more (was very disappointed when I ran out of excerpt!). I love your inspiration board too, so pretty. Congratulations on meeting your goals, even on difficult days, and good luck with this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love the idea of an inspiration board! The excerpt is really intriguing, too. Fantastic job with your goal this week! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those boards! So much more personal than Pinterest boards :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your board!
    Awesome on the word count. Knew you could do it. Five thousand again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo 5K!!! I love your inspiration board!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your inspiration board...inspires us! We're so totally jealous that we aren't this creative. Good luck with your goals this week as you def. rocked last week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm... crab cakes. Love your inspiration board! So cool. I keep meaning to make one of those on Pinterest. Maybe that's a good, productive way to procrastinate if I'm feeling stuck, haha... Good luck with your 5K this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the inspiration board. I have images and stuff saved on Pinterest, but nothing like this. It's beautiful. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I LOVE New Orleans! Your inspiration board makes me desperate to read your WiP. Plus, the excerpt you shared is excellent. Congrats on hitting 5K this week, Leandra. Here's to another 5K next week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much goodness in today's update! Congrats on hitting your goal of 5k - that is huge. I absolutely love your excerpt. It gives me the creeps! (Which is what you were going for... I'm pretty sure!) And I love, love, love your inspiration board! I hope this coming week is as awesome for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I'm so glad this helped! Because YOU CAN DO IT! Whoohoo! Congrats on another week down and 5K closer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the inspiration board! And way to kick your word count goal's butt! Hope this week is just as productive for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on 5K! Those boards are so fun, the setting looks beautiful. I loved the way you introduced the villain. Such a cool customer at dinnertime. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!