Monday, August 31, 2015

Ready. Set. Write! (Week 13: The End) + Manuscripts & Manicures


Ready.Set.Write! is a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy UppermanErin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij. Every Monday participants share how they're doing in reaching their goals for the summer. To see a full list of participants, go here.


* * *


1. How I did on last week's goals: I wanted to complete 40 pages of revisions based on a cp's feedback. And...I GOT THE ENTIRE THING REVISED!!!! Sorry for shouting that at you, but this makes me feel ah.maz.zing. I am usually so slow at incorporating feedback. It takes me weeks, sometimes months. And I busted it out in a week. Oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah...*ah-hem* Sorry. I'm just SO HAPPY!!! Aso, a HUGE THANK YOU to my wonderful cp, Kristin Smith. She really helps me whip my stories into shape. {Love my cp's!!}

I also wanted to get in 500 words on my new WiP, A Love Turned Bitter, and I got in 699. 


2.. A fav line from my story: From ALTB:

Eight months ago, he had been close to declaring to Father his intentions of courting me. Then her brother died, I was blamed, and his attentions…stopped. 

I understood, of course. But understanding never helped a heart not feel pain.



3. The biggest challenge I faced this week: For once, not a lot. I was completely in the zone this week, so it wasn't a fight to make myself open up that Word doc. But we all know how it goes: next week I'll probably hit a sticky spot in revising or writing the WiP, and it'll take my fingers glued to the keys for me to get a single word down. The joys of writing! 


4. Something I love about my WiP: That it's set in England and it's steampunkish. And inspired by a Taylor Swift song. And there's a mechanical caribou in it. And hot air balloons. And gorgeous dresses. And can anyone tell I'm in the new idea/love phase?! (please send me an email in about a month, reminding me of this. thank you.)


* * * 

Okay, so as mentioned in the title of this post, this is the last week of R.S.W! {aww} So here's a recap of what I wanted to accomplish this summer:
  • Finish revising the dystopian so I can get it to my critique partners. Done!

  • Finish fast drafting a paranormal novel set in New Orleans.  Done!

  • And if I get all that done before the end of RSW!, start back on my middle grade ghost story that's almost 50% complete. Goal changed. I decided to start on a A Love Turned Bitter instead. Current word count: 1144
* * *
The lovely hosts of R.S.W! came up with a fun activity for our last post. Manuscripts & Manicures! I painted my nails to the theme of Necromancy in New Orleans


The blue is for night, when necromancers do most of their work. The white is for Flannery being a light necromancer, and the sparkle overcoat is despite routinely mucking about in boots, and smelling like a mule, Flannery is a girly girl. The silver nail is for a secret society called The Grey, who play a big part in the novel's end.   
And one more to show off my not-so-fab nail painting skills...


Lastly, I want to tell all my fellow R.S.W! participants & regular blog readers thanks so much for the weekly visits, comments, and encouragement! You helped make my summer goals happen, so hugs for all!! And of course, a big thank you to the hosts of R.S.W!: Jaime, Erin, Allison, Katy, and Elodie. They take on a lot of work every summer to make this happen, as well as coming up w/the coolest writer care packages. Thanks, ladies!!! 

40 comments:

  1. Yay, congratulations on meeting your week's and summer goals! And ooooh, I love your excerpt but really feel sorry for your main character...

    Your nails look brilliant! I love the reasons behind each one, and they look fantastic as a set too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After I did them, I felt like they matched the colors of our local pro football team, which I was less than happy about. ;)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! That's awesome. Sounds like you've got an amazing story going there. Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay to exceeding your goals!!! I love the nails. They look awesome...and what a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Leandra! You rocked it this summer! Congrats on getting so much accomplished. And that new idea sounds fantastic. I'm so curious which TSwift song is the inspiration. :) Good luck with getting the draft of this new MS going! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad Blood! =) And thanks, I'll need it, feeling lazy today, heh. And thanks for all the encouragement and well wishes!

      Delete
  5. You revised the whole thing - that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, for one cp's advice anyway. =) Got more coming through the pipeline!

      Delete
  6. Your mani looks fabulous, Leandra! Love all of the symbolism, and I'm feeling even MORE intrigued by your story now. Congrats on all you've accomplished this summer, and best of luck as we move into autumn. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katy! I'm hoping fall is super productive too. =)

      Delete
  7. Wow, that is an amazing amount of work you got done over the summer! I am impressed! I don't think I was nearly as productive. Congratulations, and I love the manicure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! That's awesome that you got the whole thing revised! And I love the manicure. I'm starting to wonder how I would paint my nails for my WIP, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go, Sarah, a new blog post! =)

      Delete
  9. WAHOO!!! Isn't that such a great feeling when revisions are done?! Your WIP, by the way, sounds utterly amazing. I can tell you're excited and that is another great feeling, to be so in love with a book you're writing :) Congrats on your very productive summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally is!! And book love is the best, right under romantic love and baby love, lol!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the revisions! That's amazing. You never really know how long those will take. Also, I' loving this manicure idea. So fun! I love those colors.

    Glad you made so much progress this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your nails are AWESOME!!! And I am so glad you accomplished so much this summer! Thank you so much for joining us and I look forward to hearing all the good things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for all your awesomness this week!! And isn't that time of new idea love the best?? I totally love that high :) And your nails are great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a high I could get used to. ;) And thx!

      Delete
  13. Huge congratulations on finishing the revisions! :) I like the sound of the WIP (love steampunk!). Best of luck with your writing! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma! I never imagined I'd write a steampunk book, but you gotta go where the muse leads. =)

      Delete
  14. Shout away that is awesome news! That clip is so sad, I hope the heart can heal. Your nails look great. Very bright and interesting description to go with it, all blending together nicely. Congrats on a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eve! And unfortunately, my character has A LOT more to go through. It's gonna kind of be a dark book...

      Delete
  15. I don't ever read steampunk and now I want your new WIP because you make it sound so great! Congrats on revising and on an amazing summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is sooo great! Congratulations! And I love the nails!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for meeting and exceeding your goals!!!! And those nails look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's awesome you were able to revise the whole thing. Well done! I love how much thought you put into your manicure. That's a great excerpt by the way. I want to see how the rest plays out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Boy did you ever end the summer with a bang! Nicely done! Thanks for taking part in RSW, Leandra! I hope your amazing momentum continues into the fall! Love the nails and your fun explanation for them (especially the silver one)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. Impressive. May you have many more weeks like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. YAY! you killed it this summer :) I am so hoping once fall hits and I have less distractions in the form of perfect weather and a nice backyard that I am half as productive as this (and can share my work with my new CP! ;) and your manicure is awesome...I think that's the one beauty thing I neglect and am awful at lol. my hands are never steady and I get polish all over myself!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on rocking all your goals this summer! And your nails look gorgeous! :) I enjoyed RSWing with you this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay! You did so awesome this summer! Look at all you accomplished!! So glad my critique helped and that you were able to get through everything so quickly! You are on a roll! :)

    Oh, and love your manicure. How cute that it matches your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh I love Taylor Swift songs! I've had some great inspiration from her songs :) Yay for being in the zone! That's always such a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!