Monday, August 3, 2015

Ready. Set. Write! (Week 9)


Ready.Set.Write! is a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, Erin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij. Every Monday participants share how they're doing in reaching their goals for the summer. To see a full list of participants, go here.

1. How I did on last week's goals: Yet again, that 5K has eluded me. *curse you, 5K* I am determined to crack you like an egg before R.S.W! is through. My total ended up being 3062. And... 344 of those words was on the new idea. *I cheated on you NiNO. But I promise it won't happen again... maybe*

2. My goals for this week: 5K

3. A fav line from my story: 

“Ew.” Katy’s voice cuts through my daydreaming. “Look at that homeless guy. I can’t believe he’s coming in here.” 

New Orleans has its share of the lesser fortunate, and particularly in the French Quarter, since it’s a heavy tourist draw. I drop the menus in their holder, and look up, expecting to see a rumpled man or woman. With Shane’s charity, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gives them free food. 

A sub stands in the doorway, head tilted to the side, staring back at me with black eyes.

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week: I was training several days out of the week, which meant my free time couldn't involve furiously writing away in between customers (Yes, I do most of my writing while at work. Don't judge!). Oh, well. Being fully staffed again will be wonderful!

5. Something I love about my WiP: That the main baddie is about to come out of the shadows. And his appearance means 'The End' is nigh. WA. HOO. 

30 comments:

  1. I seem to do well writing 2,000 words a day for clients but they're paying me! Plus, why is it it's easier to write 500 words about garage doors than our own novels? I think fear holds us back. We're scared to completely screw up our story with the next words we write?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a super good observation, Stephanie! And I think you're right.

      Delete
  2. This is the week for 5K! You got this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for creeping toward THE END -- how exciting! Best of luck hitting that 5K in the coming week, though the 3K+ you hit this week is super impressive. Rooting for you, Leandra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay!! best feeling ever. You're killing it :) I worked through some roadblocks too. My biggest problem is forcing myself to change what's not working. I have a habit of trying to force things like puzzle pieces just because I'm used to that scene or dialogue, but once I change something altogether it opens up so much. And I love that line!! makes me want more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too! And once I stop trying to force that scene, something much better comes along. Gotta love this thang called writing! =)

      Delete
  5. I would be thrilled with 3k, but I have every faith you will get to 5k. No judging on the writing at work, I do it too. :) I totally want to know what a sub is now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sub is short for sub human. =) They're a dark necromancer creation. And thanks!

      Delete
  6. Over 3,000 words is great! So exciting that the bad guy is about to really come into play. Sounds like you've really got a handle on this story! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! And I feel like I'm finally starting too, thanks goodness!

      Delete
  7. You're kicking butt and taking names. You manage to do so much writing even as you parent and work full time. You're my hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! And you're mine for writing w/3 kidlets tearing around. Mutual hero appreciation. =)

      Delete
  8. Now that you're fully staffed, you should be able to hit five thousand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, they are now on vacation, lol! But next week we will be for real, so whoo!

      Delete
  9. I love that you can write while at work. I'm totally jealous (and definitely not judging--that's my dream!!). Hope you crack that 5k this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say that it's one of the biggest perks of my job, for sure!

      Delete
  10. Good luck with hitting 5K this week! I'd be thrilled if I just hit 1K...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Regarding the spam comment above -- YIKES! Some people are just nuts.

    Good luck with hitting the 5k goal! I tried last summer keeping track of my wordcount each week and found that it DEmotivated me more than anything else. So I can't say for sure if I often manage 5k in a week. Not likely, except when the events are vivid in my head and end up taking 2 chapters instead of one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason the spam comment didn't show up in my inbox, so I had no idea what you were talking about. So I came straight here and ugh--delete!! =) I do feel like word count does put a lot of pressure on you, and some weeks it is a bit exhausting constantly thinking about hitting the mark. And I do love when events are vivid, so much more fun writing those scenes!

      Delete
  12. Wow, you do most of your writing at work? I'm kind of in awe of you right now lol. That's some serious multitasking! And getting out over 3k is fantastic even if you were aiming for a bit higher. Your excerpt is really intriguing, and I love that your main baddie is about to come out of the shadows. Have fun writing that this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me awhile to be able to do so, and some days I don't feel like writing at work at all. But then I think about trying to write while cooking, doing dishes, and bath time (which means not happening) and it gets my rear in gear! =)

      Delete
  13. I hope you can reach that 5K this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, I love writing big reveal scenes! Fun! 3K is still a great accomplishment, especially when you have other things going on. Good luck on hitting 5K this week, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that moment when you get to reveal the villain. Have fun writing this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with everyone else. This week is the week of 5K. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good for you for making your goals a priority each week!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!