Sunday, August 30, 2015

Review: THE FOXGLOVE KILLINGS


Gramps always said that when the crickets were quiet, something bad was coming. And the crickets have been as silent as the dead. It started with the murdered deer in the playground with the unmistakable purple of a foxglove in its mouth. But in the dying boondock town of Emerald Cove, life goes on.

I work at Gramps's diner, and the cakes―the entitled rich kids who vacation here―make our lives hell. My best friend, Alex Pace, is the one person who gets me. Only Alex has changed. He's almost like a stranger now. I can't figure it out...or why I'm having distinctly more-than-friend feelings for him. Ones I shouldn't be having.

Then one of the cakes disappears.

When she turns up murdered, a foxglove in her mouth, a rumor goes around that Alex was the last person seen with her—and everyone but me believes it. Well, everyone except my worst enemy, Jenika Shaw. When Alex goes missing, it's up to us to prove his innocence and uncover the true killer. But the truth will shatter everything I've ever known about myself — and Alex.


Goodreads | Amazon | B&N

* * * 

This book is intense. Very suspenseful, it kept me guessing to the end. If you want to read a book that is one of those gritty, realistic looks at teen life, then this is it. The Foxglove Killings doesn't pull any punches when it comes to what some teens mighht get up to in their spare time (but it's kept low-key, not too graphic, so no worries there). 

TFK also has a theme that I've always enjoyed (not murder, k? *wink*), that of a friend turning into something more. Nova and Alex are great characters. Besides their relationship, my next fav was between Nova and her grandfather. The setting is the Oregon coast line, which Tara Kelly did a great job of making it sound gorgeous and rustic and mysterious, all at the same time. A good majority of the book takes place in a diner, and I always love restaurants in books, so another plus.

Themes of family (and not the 'perfect' kind), mental illness, and bullying are strongly present too. If you're looking for a 'who-dunnit' kind of YA that isn't all rainbows and sunshine, I say pick this up!

Setting:

Oregon coast line
(source)

Family diner
(source)


Graphics (created on Canva, featuring lines I enjoyed):



* * * 


1 comment:

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!