Thursday, August 6, 2015

Signs


I love finding coincidences in life that line up with my writing. I look at them as signs, that someday this or that book will be published. My recent was looking down at a check at work the other day, and seeing a hot air balloon printed on it-- my newest WiP happens to have a hot air balloon festival in it.

I'm taking it as a sign!

On a long-ago horrible fae book, I found a feather (from something hawkish or owlish) in a graveyard. My horrible fae book contained a graveyard and a bird-shifting fae.

Sign!

I went to a writing workshop where I pitched to an agent. As I pulled into the parking lot where the event was happening, a song was playing on the radio that I associated w/the ups and downs of trying to get published. Fast forward, the agent requested a full. When I left the event, the same song was playing.

Sign!

Then there was this one: The concrete statue business I passed going to work everyday moved a gryphon and a gargoyle next to each other-- and my current book was about gryphons and gargoyles. (This btw, is Guffy the Gryphon. Yes, I named it.)


Sign!

So... none of these signs have worked out thus far. Well, the hot air balloon possibly could, but as I've yet to finish the book (it's more of a tiny baby book idea percolating in a Word incubator), that's still to be determined. But I don't get down about my signs not working out. I just enjoy them when they happen as fun moments of serendipity in life.

And maybe one day, one will come true...

23 comments:

  1. That is so cool. You know, I think that when we are actively working on something or even if the idea is just percolating, we are more in tune to see those things. It's happened a lot to me. Just recently a saint came into my consciousness and helped me to realize what was missing in my historical. It's really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help us to see those connections, doesn't it? Just one more of the neat perks of being a writer!

      Delete
  2. I love it, and this happened to me too for all my MSs, and I believe they were signs too! I love that you named the gargoyle as I name everything too haha :) it keeps happening with my current MS too and I get so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when Guffy popped into my head, I was like: Well, that's not very regal. But it stuck, lol!

      Delete
  3. I love this! I do believe the universe has sent me at least one sign. Maybe they don't always work out right away but it can give us hope that if we keep working someday they will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely bring a spark of hope, and that's a wonderful feeling.

      Delete
  4. Signs are great. I look for them too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look for signs, too. Maybe their true role is to encourage us, give us that feeling of high, help us notice all the connections in the universe. In other words, they feed our Muses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't usually see signs, but I think we all have things we're sure bring us luck. My agent and I have decided Halloween is our day. She signed me the day before Halloween and we sold my second book on Halloween! My first book was sold in the summertime, so it doesn't count!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny! Especially since your books are all so sweet. I would imagine a horror writer having a Halloween 'luck' day. ;)

      Delete
  7. I love looking for signs! And maybe they're not necessarily signs of being published right away, but signs that you're writing the right thing at the right time. Each of those stories was probably exactly what you needed at the time. Although... if one pans out for publishing, then they are definitely signs of publishing. I'm all about hindsight. hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good point! I'd like to think that I am writing what I need to at the right time. Spending so much time on something that isn't...Ugh, I don't even like to contemplate that, lol!

      Delete
  8. I love seeing signs as well~ everything from billboards to radio music that piques a connection while I'm in a car trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm always hearing something on the radio that reminds me of one of my stories. It's a great feeling!

      Delete
  9. I love this. I remember one night before I went to bed, I just said a little prayer and asked that if writing was what I was meant to do, send me a sign. I woke up unreasonably early the next morning and contemplated going back to bed. Instead, I got up and watched the news with my mom. As I walk in, there's a program on about how the most successful people wanted to give up right before their peak!

    Sign. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Total sign! Got to love moments like these. =)

      Delete
  10. I so love little things like this that comes together! I even wrote a book about them (well, kinda, but that's where the idea between the wip I'm shopping came from :). They are so fun and the signposts in life are great to catch!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!