Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Author Stop: Josh Funk

I'm delighted to have the fun & talented Josh Funk here today, whose picture book, Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast, has delighted the kidlet (and okay, me too...).

* * * 

1. Having written a picture book about two dueling breakfast foods, what is your favorite breakfast to sit down to?

​Traditionally, I eat cereal, usually the healthy-ish (and maybe a little boring) kind. And I prefer soy milk to cow's.

For a while I was really into making smoothies with fruits, berries, nuts, supplements - a whole bunch of healthy things. But after I broke my third magic bullet, that trend ended (I'd love to get back into that, but need some better hardware).

But my favorite favorite is going to a diner. Pancakes, French Toast, omelette. Some syrup, hash browns. That I'll do any day! (but probably should save for special occasions).


2. Do you jot down art notes as you write, or do they come to you after completing a story?

​Actually, I don't do too much with art notes. In fact, for Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast, there wasn't a single note for the illustrator. Everything that's not in the text, but is on the page came from Brendan Kearney and the folks at Sterling Children's.​

​All I did was give them names.

Lady Pancake's whipped cream hair-do with cherry garnish was all Brendan.​ Did I always imagine Sir French Toast with a mustache? Yes, but I never told anyone - Brendan just knew. Did I even think about how Lady Pancake would 'sail through oceans of soup?' No. But Brendan put her on a baguette with Swiss cheese sails. How awesome is that!?!

​Picture book artists are so talented, and let's be honest, they spend as much or more time developing the stories as authors do. ​I find it's best to let them take ownership of the material and not give too many notes.


3. What would be a 2015 picture book that you highly recommend?

​Just one? Wow, that's tough.​

Ally-saurus & the First Day of School by Richard Torrey is a fabulous book, also from Sterling Children's. Great for back-to-school time, but it's more than that. It's so deeply layer with the illustrations.

I've also been really into Boats for Papa by Jessixa Bagley. Get the tissues ready for that one. I recently wrote a blog post about books I'm excited for in 2015. Many of those books are out now.


4. Did you find yourself craving any particular foods after rhyming about them in LP&SFT?

​Yes. But it would spoil both my appetite and the ending of the book if I told you.​


5. What is a fav line(s) from Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast?

​It's a tie between:

"'He scraped himself off and yelled up, 'You're a meanie'

As Pancake rappelled down a rope of linguini."​


​and​

"Caught behind dressings, one Russian, one ranch,

she squeezed out and started a bean avalanche!"

* * * 


A thoroughly delicious picture book about the funniest "food fight!" ever! Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast have a beautiful friendship—until they discover that there's ONLY ONE DROP of maple syrup left. Off they go, racing past the Orange Juice Fountain, skiing through Sauerkraut Peak, and reeling down the linguini. But who will enjoy the sweet taste of victory? And could working together be better than tearing each other apart? The action-packed rhyme makes for an adrenaline-filled breakfast . . . even without a drop of coffee! 


* * * 


Josh Funk grew up in New England and studied Computer Science in school. Today, he still lives in New England and when not writing Java code or Python scripts, he drinks Java coffee and writes picture book manuscripts alongside his wife, children, and assorted pets & monsters.

Josh is a board member of The Writers' Loft in Sherborn, MA and the co-coordinator of the 2016 and 2017 New England Regional SCBWI Conferences.

Josh is the author of LADY PANCAKE & SIR FRENCH TOAST (Sterling), as well as the forthcoming picture books DEAR DRAGON (Viking/Penguin 2016), PIRASAURS! (Scholastic 2017), JACK! [and the beanstalk] (Two Lions, 2017), and more.

Josh is terrible at writing bios, so please help fill in the blanks. Josh enjoys _______ during ________ and has always loved __________. He has played ____________ since age __ and his biggest fear in life is being eaten by a __________.

Josh is represented by Kathleen Rushall of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency.




If you have children, grandchildren, nephews, nieces (okay, some sort of connection to a child), I recommend this picture book! So cute and inventive and lots of fun to read out loud. And don't forget, a comment earns you a chance to win a $5 Amazon gift card. Please just follow Josh at one or more of his social media sites, thanks!

18 comments:

  1. Ive heard of this!! sounds adorable. I'll have to pick it up for my friend's two kiddos who are loving PBs at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any small kiddos in my life at the moment, but I think the inventive rhymes would inspire the PB writers in my critique group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks adorable! Also, that bio is utterly perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food fight!!! This book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want to get this book for my boys. Also, tell Josh to invest in a Blendtec. Pricey, but will last for eons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this one on Twitter yesterday--Jen Malone tweeted about it and I thought, "THAT is a cute idea for a book!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds adorable! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun interview! Best wishes to Josh and congratulations on all your upcoming releases, too, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! And fun. I think writing for kids is the toughest genre, but it looks like Josh is a natural. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! And fun. I think writing for kids is the toughest genre, but it looks like Josh is a natural. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! What fun. Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGosh that sounds so cute! And I love the character drawings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crystal Collier is the winner of the gift card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a 3-year-old friend, Levi, who will be getting this in his next Book Club with Heather and Dennis (that's me and my hubby) installment. He will LOVE this thing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And appreciate the time it took to leave one, so THANK YOU!!!